News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Known Distance Day in CT: May 16, 2010! Sign up here!

Started by CortJestir, April 29, 2010, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CortJestir

The planning thread was getting messy, so here's the official sign-up and info thread for those still interested.

We are having a known distance shooting event for Appleseed Volunteers. All Instructors and IITs who wish to teach/learn to teach the KD portion of the Appleseed POI and put it into practice are invited to come!

Please post a reply in this thread if you would like to attend. (Those already listed below need not reply).

Bring your center fire rifle(s) and gear (ammo, mats, slings, magazines, etc.). If you need to borrow one, I'm sure we can cover you.

For those from out of state: CT does have an "Assault Weapon" Ban that is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE STRICT than the expired Federal AWB. For example, rifles are banned by name and include the "Colt AR-15" and "AK-47", among others. Semiautomatic rifles are also banned by features. However, there is no magazine capacity restriction. Please be careful with this. For a complete list of banned-by-name rifles and feature restrictions, you may check CT laws here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm.

Location: The Fin, Fur & Feather Club - 213 Chewink Road, Chaplin, CT. 06235
Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010
Time: 1:00pm until The Fin kicks us out
Range fee: $3

Attending:

CortJestir
cra (how's that for 75%, crak?  **))
davidgw1
dwarven1
DwayneH (Possibly attending)
Firewall99
kfish
noelephant
smithy
TOMINCT
vernic82

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

dwarven1

If I'm reading that link correctly, my post-ban configuration Anvil Arms AA-15 would be OK, then, since there's no flash hider, bayonet lug or collapsible stock. Correct?
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

CortJestir

Yep, sounds good so far... If you have a muzzle break on it that's perfectly legal, it just needs to be pinned on. (i.e. no threaded barrels - man I hate this place sometimes...)

TOMINCT

That should be the case, as the Ct. ban mirrors the expired federal ban. Also the banned items are listed BY ITEM on the Ct. ban list. AK's in 7.62x39 are out, 5.45x39 or 223 are okay. How do ya like that one?
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

dwarven1

Quote from: CortJestir on April 29, 2010, 06:09:39 PM
Yep, sounds good so far... If you have a muzzle break on it that's perfectly legal, it just needs to be pinned on. (i.e. no threaded barrels - man I hate this place sometimes...)
No break - target muzzle. BIG flash.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

The Log

Hey Guys --

How many rounds do you think would be good to bring? I'm thinking of using my Mini-14, but I don't want to break the bank on ammo. Also, how many mags would be appropriate?
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

TOMINCT

We may or possibly will have to wing some frames together for the D target as they are about 3.5' wide. some fir strip along with some of the current frame 1x3's should do it. I think the club HP targets are kept under lock and key, unless vernic can get them.
2 para, I would think a couple hundred enough along with a minimum of 2 mags. If you have more, bring it as you can test drive any mags that you've not tried.
Dwayne, check with CortJestir but it shouldn't be a problem.
If there are any other ideas floating out there please post it here.
Ramseur 2-12!

CortJestir

Quote from: DwayneH on April 30, 2010, 11:02:49 AM
There's a good chance I will be in the area around that time.  How much advanced notice do you need?  Assuming the shoot is open to Southerners.

You assume correctly.  :D  It's open to any RH/IIT in the program who wants to come. As far as advanced notice, a few days is fine. We won't turn away any walk-ons either, so long as there's room. And I'm pretty confident there will be.

vernic82

There's a few frames for public use (they're very possessive of the 'match' frames) but it would be OK to slap a few together for us.  Bring some wood, I have screws.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Glock23

So if my .22 drops 6" at 100 yds, how high would I have to aim to hit with a Ruger 10/22 at 200 yds??  Would I have to aim at planes flying overhead? I'd have to shoot it like a mortar, huh?
This sounds like fun, but sadly my wife has to work that day. :(
Have a good time!

noelephant

I'm in.   I can make it down to CT next Sunday.

My SU-16A should be okay...   (I'll research this... other than that I'm stuck with a .22 as well. :-P)

davidgw1

I'm planning to make it there on Sunday.  Be nice to fire at a range greater than 25 meters. Hope to see you all then. DaveW

CortJestir

Nice to have you all aboard. Looking forward to Sunday!

willorith

Check out the AAR on Florida's KD event this past week end. KD instruction is well worth the effort.
We are but human.

vernic82

GTG on the SU-16A

Quote from: noelephant on May 09, 2010, 10:37:47 PM
I'm in.   I can make it down to CT next Sunday.

My SU-16A should be okay...   (I'll research this... other than that I'm stuck with a .22 as well. :-P)

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

TOMINCT

To hose that are going to be there It would be worth bring pad and pencil for notes and a spotting scope, if you have one. The line will be available to club members also, so we may have to spot our hits and wait a while to repair targets depending on the turnout. Just a reminder, try to bring something a little different than the usual that you might expect to see at an AS. It will give us all a chance to deal with some unknowns. Rgeards, Tom.
Ramseur 2-12!

smithy

Are we going to shoot RFAQT or single stage? I can muster only 200 rounds of 308for mu M1A. Also I have only one 10 rd. mag as of this moment. Maybe ordered mags will come tomorrow. Anybody used 22 LR at the 100 m. distance? Will bring Ruger 10/22 just in case as a back-up.
Tony
When society serves individual there is freedom......
When individual serves society there is slavery....                                                        Ayn Rand
When 70 million gun owners in America will know how to shoot strait, the only target they will ever need to hit will be a paper target

TOMINCT

I'll bring some loaners for you, not a problem. CortJestir has put together a POI for part of the day so we'll see how it is to be done afterward.
Ramseur 2-12!

noelephant

Hello,

I'm going to have to bow out.    A home maintenance issue came up that I need to deal with right away.

Let me know how it goes and keep me posted on the next one.

-NoElephant

vernic82

CJ - any word on emailing out the KD POI you had at Chaplin?  Thanks.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

kDan

so...

I can't find the aar and I don't see any comments on how things went.

How did things go?  I was gonna show up and surprise everybody by bumming rifles and smokes, but nope, had to grind at the old stone.

I will see some of you at Chaplin, but how bout it?  A little AAR maybe or are we all too embarrassed?   ::)

kDan

Quote from: vernic82 on May 22, 2010, 09:41:04 AM
CJ - any word on emailing out the KD POI you had at Chaplin?  Thanks.

ps - I'll take one of those too if possible rwva.nyc@gmail.com  cheers
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

No, there is an AAR thread somewhere.   I saw it!   
Check your drama at the door.

vernic82

The AAR is out there.....I just can't find it!

Anyhow, it was real good ..:..

You'll have to make the next one &)

Quote from: crak on May 22, 2010, 01:08:31 PM
No, there is an AAR thread somewhere.   I saw it!   
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Public AAR here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13852.0

We're doing KD tomorrow in Leyden, MA. 100 yds for rimfires and 200 for centerfires.  O0

I'll get the POI out to everyone. Sorry for the delay. I'd do it now, but my Internet connection at my friend's place here in Ashfield, about a stone's throw away from Nowhere, is a little faster than smoke signal.