News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Firing line surface

Started by bedford, April 27, 2010, 08:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedford

I have been having trouble with getting a sand point well at my range, and I don't  think grass is going to grow strong enough without watering to stand up to being a firing line.  When I made my berm, all the good soil was pushed into the berm, and all that is left is sand.  I hate shooting on a sand surface, as it is soft (hard to keep NPOA), and no matter how careful you are, it gets in everything.

I cannot afford to get a drilled well.  How about wood chips?  Gravel?  Astroturf?  Any other good options?

Thanks!

sgtrock

Crusher run works well aka Item #4, stays put, durable surface, to make softer you can put pea stone or 1a's on it,,, sgtrock

bedford

What is "crusher run"?

Thanks!

sgtrock

Crushed rock, with stone dust, it provides a very stable base to be covered with what ever you like.
   It is a lot better than bank run, item #4, crusher run will bind together, and not blow up a bunch of sand in the wind,

SamD

Really need to but down a load of ABC (Aggregate Base Course, <3/4" with all residue and a little clay) and compact it real well. That will stabilize your surface.
Top that with crusher fines (<3/8" with all residue which is rock dust) and compact.  it'll be pretty stable and pack down well.

Any organics you put down will have to be constantly renewed as it rots and will never be really stable

bedford

Thank you for explaining it. 

Bedford

Reckless Rick

oats or alfalfa could  be a quick fix for this year
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

SamD

Bedford,
I forgot good old "soil cement".
If you throw concrete mix on your soil (10-15%) by volume, rototill it into the top 6", drive on it to compact then sprinkle thoroughly, it'll cure up pretty decent.

We make temporary runways that way and they hold up pretty decently. Wouldn't park a semi on it but it is fairly durable.

Camljr

Check out "decomposed granite"

http://www.soilbuildingsystems.com/RockData.php#

Description: As granite rock decomposes over millions of years it becomes what is commonly known as decomposed granite gravel. It packs well yet lets water drain through. It is high in trace minerals and environmentally safe.

Naturally occuring Decomposed Granite starts out as solid granite rock that over time is compressed over millions of years and broke down creating a natural gravel. At Kafka Granite we offer naturally occuring decomposed granite (D.G.) screened to size and we also crush solid quarry rock to create essentially the same type of material. Both naturally occuring decomposed granite and crushed stone screenings are completely organic and environmentally safe.

Our Decomposed Granite and Crushed Stone screenings are 1/4"- with fines. This makes them pack well and create a firmer surface than many gravels, but still allow water to permeate through. Decomposed Granite and Crushed Stone screenings work great for low traffic walkways, residential driveways, nature paths, dog runs, bike trails, and garden trails.

If you are considering using Decomposed Granite or Crushed Stone for commercial applications or in high traffic areas, Stabilized Decomposed Granite & Crushed Stone may be more suitable for your project.
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt