News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City Florida, April 17 & 18, 2010

Started by RickB, April 19, 2010, 07:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickB

It's late at night and I've just finished unloading the truck but I'll try to do this weekend justice.

First off, we had a great group of instructors to keep their (sometimes) forgetful shoot boss on track.  DrJohn and his world famous wonder dog, Tiva, drove down from Georgia to help out as they have so often in the past.  Diligent1638 unexpectedly arrived on Friday afternoon, straight from several months at sea, and jumped in to help.  ThaiFighter did his usual excellent job--especially working one-on-one with shooters.  Finally, LadyVetch (from Wisconsin) took the weekend off from her vacation on the beaches of AnnaMaria Island to work the shoot (and bring her 11-year old son, Jared, to his first Appleseed).

We had some returning shooters but most were first timers.  There was a larger than usual number of very inexperienced shooters.  They really kept us on our toes during Saturday morning as we worked on the basics.  All showed steady improvement--which is what gives instructors their job satisfaction. 

As I suspected might happen, LadyVetch had a little trouble with our nice, cool, Florida spring weather (83 degrees and 80 percent humidity).  After a short rest in the afternoon she jumped back into the fray with undaunted enthusiasm.

Before the "Volley for Liberty" we shot an AQT, revealing one rifleman, Roy.  Congratulations, sir!  Several of the shooters expressed their pleasure at hearing the names of men who gave their all on April 19, 1775, and in being able to honor them with a thirteen volley salute.  The youngsters thought "it was cool."

The shooting finished with the "redcoat" target. One of the first-time Appleseeders, Kaye, managed to clear it!  Quite an improvement from the morning.

We presented five youth patches to a great group of hard-working and attentive junior shooters: Jackson, Luke, Ryan, Jared, and Alethea.  I also gave a brief tribute to Mlle. Yotnottin and gave the three memorial envelopes to the three adult ladies present.

Our Sunday line was as full as Saturday's in spite of the forecast rain.  It rained all day--mostly a slight drizzle, sometimes a downpour.  This kept it cloudy and much cooler all day--very nice for our hard-working shooters. The change in the shooters was as great as the change in the weather--firing their sighter groups with aplomb and handling their rifles with much greater confidence.

In the afternoon, DrJohn gave an excellent synopsis of full-distance shooting to the entire group.  He then led 5 hearty shooters out into the drizzle for some 100-yard shooting.

All of the instructors were very happy with the remarkable improvements we saw in the shooter's scores--in some cases from neophyte to sharpshooter in one weekend.

Two more shooters reached rifleman standard on Sunday. Eddie, a first-timer who came with his Dad, shot a 215.  Sean had attended only on Saturday back in March, showing great promise.  He returned this weekend, for Sunday only, managing to get a score of 210.  He must have done a little practicing in the interim.  Well done, Eddie and Sean!

Roy shot several more rifleman scores--the highest one I saw was a 222. Though he has several important duties in his church he asked me about becoming an IIT.  He was thinking aloud about how he might get some more Sundays free--there's a man with a love both for God and Liberty.

The final ceremony of the day was unusual.  LadyVetch--with her unfailing good humor--had done a marvelous job all weekend.  I called her up front and asked the group if she could be made an honorary Floridian.  They responded with enthusiastic applause and I presented her with a Florida-only "Yotnottin Ranger" rifleman's patch.

My thanks to all of the shooters and IITs for making it a wonderful weekend.

RickB

libertytree

What an absolutely fantastic event!!!! Steve B and all the instructors were phenomenal, I can't give enough praise to each and every one of them and they ALL have earned my total respect and admiration. Being a revolutionary war student I was very impressed as to how that was integrated into the course, most people don't know what I know about that time period and I feel the weaving in of that knowledge further solidifies all of our purposes of attending and not just in excellent rifle training.

Huzzahhh, Huzzahhh, Huzzahhh!!!!!!

k-os

Thank you all so much for the excellent instruction and history lessons last weekend.  My body is still recovering, but it was so worth it!  I am coming back to get my patch, darn it!

To go through the first day of Appleseed and clear the redcoat at the end of the day was exhilarating.  Obviously, it's because of the great job you did instructing me.  RickB, Diligent1638, ThaiFighter, DrJohn, LadyVetch, you were all so positive and encouraging, and you each taught me so much that I need to practice.  It's pretty amazing that I had only used a rifle one time before we met.

Thanks again for everything.  I have nothing but great things to say about my Appleseed Project experience.  I am determined to go next month as well, and I am going to try to bring a few people with me.  But if I have to go alone, I know there will be friends there waiting for me . . . even perhaps friends I haven't yet met.

+ Kaye

PS - Also, all of our cameras malfunctioned over the weekend, so we are hoping that your young photographer puts some of the photos up from the shoot.   :cool2:

bill o rites

absolutely awesome,average american citizens teaching other average american citizens their heritage and marksmanship.thank you so much to all our wonderful instructors who gave up their weekend to serve us.no summer soldiers or sunshine patriots here.OUTSTANDING   another great appleseed event  proven by the incredible difference in scores between sat. morning and sun. evening  and 100 yard shooting to boot   thanks to all roy
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Heimdhal

Eric (with the AK) here  :cool2:,

I just wanted to say thank you again to all the instructers that are clearly so passionate about this amazing program.  It was refreshing to see people getting out there and doing something.  The American Rifleman is a proud tradition and to see it carried on in this way warms my heart.  In light of all the troubles that have for so long overshadowed our union, to see men and women get out there and make an effort to ingrain in themselves, with the help of fellow patriots, the means to protect their rights, their home and their progeny was truly moving.

Instructer and shooter alike truly are what makes Appleseed what it is.  I'd like to give a special thanks to Wiley for giving me some one-on-one time through a couple of the AQT's and to Roy for teaming up with me as well.  Ive seen shooting school's costing upwards of $1,500 where students are lucky to get that kind of attention and generaly are only barked at in condesending and arrogant manners.  I never once got that impression from anyone this past weekend.  We'll, except Rick B's garand, which was barking at me pretty loud on Saturday!

I hope to see you all again very soon.  I've already "convinced" three friends and my father-in-law to attend sometime this year.  People are out there, looking for something tangible, something they can look on and say: "It may not be the whole of the answer, but at least its a move in the right direction."  I think Appleseed is a great leap forward in the right direction.  Rock on, patriots!

-Eric

RickB

To All,
Thanks for all the kind words.
Eric: that's the way liberty's going to spread, by each one of us bringing someone else.  Huzzah!
For anyone who's curious, my Garand was being shot by my son.  I had other things to do.
Speaking of my son, he took about 350 photos but he came down ill on Sunday so hasn't finished sorting and uploading them.  Be patient, Kaye.
Thanks again to everyone involved for a great weekend,
RickB

PHenry

Sounds like the MG&A Club grounds resounded with yet another excellent event. Kudos to all tat made it happen - instructors and attendees alike.

Sounds like Roy is following in the footsteps of his ancestors, as many a preacher was well involved with the militia on April 19th, 1775.

Way to go fellow Appleseeders!

Yours in Liberty,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

k-os

I just took the time to read the Mademoiselle Yotnottin package.  I am not ashamed to admit it - I cried.  What great stories of an obviously special lady!

PHenry

k-os,
That's a fact sir. She was an inspiration for sure. Jacqui was special - a woman devoid of any recognizable ego. As a "sufferer" of ego for my entire life (I am now a recovering ego-holic - there is no cure) I find that a trait most admirable.

She also had a knack for helping people who others could not help. She had a way about her - an easy smile, but also an air of great competence.

I think she may well have been Florida's first female instructor - she was most certainly our first "full-time" female instructor as she worked nearly every event until her most untimely demise.

Thanks for thinking of her,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThaiFighter

For those of you who live in Tampa and got home Sunday evening and flipped on the lights and turned on the TV...

you're welcome!  O0

I'd like to commend all that attended this event.  THis was a great group!  My only regret is that I didn't have enough duct tape to secure those "dancing fingers" to the triggers!

Eric, Kaye, LT,   there's nuthin's we like more than 7th-steppers...

In the meantime, practice the six steps in dry fire!  30 minutes a night!  You WILL improve!!!!   

Break down the AQT into steps and practice the parts you found most challenging religiously. 

BREATHE IN! BREATHE OUT! PAUSE! SQUEEZE! HOLD BACK! BREATH IN! RESET! BREATHE OUT! PAUSE! SQUEEZE! HOLD BACK! BREATHE IN! RESET!...

Always remember, I'm there with you in spirit!  &)

Look forward to seeing you all getting your patches next go 'round!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

West

Glad to hear you all had a great weekend.  I can't wait to get down that way myself.  I have an uncle in jacksonville, and DrJohn promised we would work a shoot together, so plan to see me in June!

LadyVetch, I understand how you felt, being from Wisconsin myself.  But isn't it great to get in on an Appleseed, wherever you go?  I try to find them whenever I am traveling.

Great job everyone, congrats to the new Riflemen.  I am sorry I wasn't able to make it down there - having gone to the RBC in Feb with DrJohn I listened to his rendition of the three strikes, and oh how do I miss his orations on the subject!

Hope to see you all on the trail,

West :))

RickB

All,
Finally some pictures!
Enjoy,
RickB

RickB

And some more...

willorith

It is very odd to look at Myakka photos and not have any personal memories of the event. Up until now, I've been at every Myakka Appleseed for the last 18 months, every Florida event but two.

Appleseed is growing now, and multiple event weekends will become much more common. The apple tree is branching and the core of Appleseed Florida is now reaching in different directions throughout the Yotnottin State. Much as Samuel Prescott and a myriad of unnamed riders, runners, and ringers spread out through Massachusetts  Bay on that day 235 years ago. I am deeply impressed and moved by the wonderful people I meet through Project Appleseed.
We are but human.

Heimdhal

Thanks for the pictures, son of Rick B  O0

This picture in particular:

Made me think of this quote:
''To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...''

-- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

WoodyTreadnaught

Great Photos, Son of RickB, this is the first time I have missed an event at Myakka since 11/08, but had to be in Gainesville with Willorith and BrownBess.....Your dad runs a great show.....be seeing you soon.....Woody

reagansmom215

forgive the tardiness in my post...i've been too busy talking about Appleseed to actually write about it!

RickB - thank you so much for presenting us with the Mlle Yotnottin gifts - i never had the honor of meeting jacqui, but feel like i know her through all the stories i've heard.

I don't know if anyone caught it on the History Channel this past weekend, but there was a show called "The Making of America" that Reagan and I watched. Our chests swelled with just a little pride as we recognized the stories as those we learned at Appleseed. Amazing.

Thank you to everyone, especially Wiley and Dr John, for the patient instruction....again. Maybe I didn't get my patch this time because, subconsciously, i want Willorith, BrownBess, and ItsanSKS to be there for the presentation too. May in Myakka anyone? I'll be practicing the 7th step - bringing my father with me this time!
STOP GLOBAL WHINING!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Prov 3:5-6)

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. [...] It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government. " -  Thomas Jefferson, letter to statesman (later president) James Madison (Jan. 30, 1787)

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target.

k-os

Quote from: Heimdhal on April 27, 2010, 01:17:24 PM
Thanks for the pictures, son of Rick B  O0

This picture in particular:

Made me think of this quote:
''To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...''

-- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I think that's a great picture - the best of the bunch.

Thanks for putting the photos up!

I'll see you guys at the end of May.  Because of the holiday, I might not be able to get any friends to come with me, but they're already looking at June, July, and one is planning to attend in around September!  You might be seeing a lot of me. ;D