News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Santa Barbara CA April 17-18

Started by Dano, April 19, 2010, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

What a great weekend to Appleseed. We had 15 shooters on the line in Santa Barbara on Saturday and about the same on Sunday. Saturday began with everyone in great spirits. The weather was 65° and sunny all weekend. The ocean views from the range were unbeatable. We started right on time and soon the shooters were on the line and learning what it is like to shoot a red coat target. Many of the shooters were well prepared with rifles sighted in and GI slings. By the afternoon the AQT's were looking good. The first person to show that he knew what he was about was Russ who shot a rifleman's score shortly after the lunch. All of the shooters enjoyed the volley on remembrance of the April 19th 1775. Eric Skyler, Shana, and both Jeff were scoring in the 180-190 range most of the afternoon. Austin was a 12 years old who was a truly remarkable young man. He was left handed, and shooting a bolt-action rifle and shooting very well. He lived up to the spirit of Luther Blanchard without a doubt. His dad was not far behind and showed great improvement over the weekend.

The day ended with a final redcoat and a lot of improvement and some tired shooters. We started Sunday with an excited crowd of shooters. By Lunchtime we had a second rifleman's score. Skyler shot a 229. He did not know it and finished the day with three scores above 210. Eric was not far behind and shot a 215.

Shana and both Jeff's were knocking on the door of getting a rifleman's score. Shana with a high score of 198. Cynthia was not far behind and shooting great groups at the 400 yard targets.

As the day drew to an end the happy but tired shooters fired their last redcoat. Everyone improved from the morning shoot. The most improved shooter was a young lady by the name of Donna who in the morning had 1 shot on the 100 yard target. She finished the final redcoat with three shots on the 100 three in the 200 and three in the 300. She missed the headshot and 400 yard by about a ¼ of an inch. The joy of out shooting her brother was the greatest prize of the day.

All of the instructors agreed it was great shoot with great people and a humble reminder of what Appleseed is about.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Marpat Pippi

Nice Pics. It sure was a great shoot with lots of improvement!

It was good to have Cynthia return as a participant, she was persistant, and showed great improvement, and had a redcoat she could proudly take home to her son!.

It was also a lot of fun working with Caroline and Donna and to see how much Donna improved by the end of the day...from barely knowing how to operate the rifle to an effective rage of 300! Great Job!

I look forward to see both Jeff S. and Jeff I return to shoot rifleman in the near future. Jeff S was knocking on the door (in the 200s) and Jeff I improved greatly and was in the 190s by the end of sunday.

artkat2

Hi SB crew!
  Glad you guys had a nice weekend! Sounds like a great group of folks to spend some time with. I would say I missed you all but... I was kinda busy at my home range!

Look forward to another Appleseed with you guys in the near future!

Andy
I do regard with horror a state of affairs which would make our country both unready and unwilling to defend its honor.
George S. Patton jr

LibertyMinded

Fun was had by all, we had a great group of people. Every shooter was very persistent and all showed great improvement.

I have to say the best part of the weekend for me was the 1:00pm volley to honor the fallen hero's of April 19th 1775. I think that made quite an impression on all attendees.

Jacques, Dano, Pippi, and Marpatt did a great job on the history.

Sounds like it was a very successful weekend for Appleseed through out the Country.

LibertyMinded
Debbie

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

jacques

Ha!!! It was great. Thanks all who participated. Weather was awesome too. Thank the lord. It is outstanding to see two more riflemen on Sunday. Ans Shana, you are almost there. Just hang in there girl. You got it.

I also heard Nick improved quite a bit. Awesome.

The drawings were great. Since I had brought 3-extra Paul Reveres books to raffle off, this shoot was heavy on the prizes. Cant really think of anything better to give away than that book.

We had a great crowd. Get the word out all, I know there are tons of people in SB just itching to get up to the range and do an Appleseed. Everyone just seems to get better.

Two Words-Meriams Corner

Jessica

Been busy with work and other events I haven't had too much time to get to my computer  :'( so I'm a bit late on the after action report.  Yes indeed it was a good Appleseed up at the range with pretty average weather.  All of the shooters were showing improvement and some were SO close.  Would love to see them all return again after soaking up the information given to them!  Hopefully they will all consider it.  Congratulations to Eric, Russ and Skylar for shooting your rifleman score!  O0  Everyone's improvement truly showed what staying determined can really do for you.  Puts a smile on my face seeing somebody keep going and then the light bulb eventually clicks and then.....hey! this works!   :o

jacques

OK. Back from New Jersey now and there are pics on my camera.

Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

and more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

And Sundays Riflemen.

Two Words-Meriams Corner

Mogget

If you guys go back to this range can you get me some "ocean pictures?"  I don't think I have a single ocean picture for my "sea to shining sea" Appleseed display and I'd dearly love some!

:'(

Thanks,

Mogs

V

Quote from: Mogget on April 26, 2010, 11:20:30 PM
If you guys go back to this range can you get me some "ocean pictures?"  I don't think I have a single ocean picture for my "sea to shining sea" Appleseed display and I'd dearly love some!

Thanks,

Mogs
There's one in here from a previous shoot at this range.

jacques

Quote from: Mogget on April 26, 2010, 11:20:30 PM

Thanks,

Mogs

I live here mogget. I will get you some. Let me know where to send them.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

LayloPro

Heh! Mogs,

Fred has the standing offer for transport & extra hotel day for the instructor's doing 12 AS's in a yr...... O0

we always like getting "out of town folks" here...... ;)

Gives us a chance to spread "good vibrations" by the beach....... O0

Look at what it did for Fred!! :cool2:

A couple of trips out here, and now his clown bat is put away, and he's changed into  "Fred, the Helpful"...... @) ..:..

Can it get any better?? :))

TTYS

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Mogget

Geez, what weather.  As I type this it's just above freezing here in Wisconsin.  I just threw the real Mogget outside for her morning prowl of the bushes and the balcony but she'll be back in directly.

So...if you get the opportunity I'd love to have a picture that has rifles and/or shooters and/or something that "says" Appleseed, and the ocean, all in the same frame.  I don't know if it can be done safely, though.  Just post it on the end of this thread and PM me with a note.  If not, just a nice shot of the ocean will do.

Mogs

LayloPro

OK, Jacques, Dano,
You heard the Lady!!
Next shoot, line up your shooters prepping mags on the south end of the concrete, where they can watch whales, while standing under the flags on top.....
Take several pix, so she has a selection......

We do want the folks back in the "frozen land beyond" to see what our "weather" looks like..... O0 ^-^ O0

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

DesertDog

Mogs,

Here is a picture of Mr Bill, myself and rockchucker from the Santa Barbara shoot in Feb '09. It's about 1/2 mile from the range.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Mogget

You guys are too much!  If Fred ever does give me a weekend I'm definitely coming out to learn the Ways of California Appleseeding from you.  I will bring the cheese, you bring the  wine  fruit juice.

Back to bidness... with some cropping, that's a good picture.  I'm also interested in something with shooters.  Can you arrange your history class with the ocean in the background?  Really, that ocean is wonderful so anything will work.

Sorry to be such a pain, but right now you seem to be the only ocean front Appleseed we have.

Mogs

jacques

There are no real shots of the ocean from the range itself. Not with people standing around with rifles anyway.  That would be frowned upon.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Mogget

OK, no sweat and nothing unsafe or undesired.  If something does occur to you, though, snap it.

Hugs to all,

Mogs

jacques

Here is some pics of from the mountain range there. A little charred, but so is everywhere here.

Two Words-Meriams Corner

LayloPro

Jacques!
You guys can do better than that....think of this...You are the SB of the only range that has ocean view firing line.... in all of AS!!

And that beats my dirt pit in Corona anytime!!

(The restaurants....mehh....maybe not so much.... :P :-[ ) O0 ;D **) $$-0

Topside of the upper firing line, south end, take the picture towards the ocean....it'll be a nice shot.....just stay on the "right" side of the firing line..... ..:.. :--- ..:..

Mogs,
Ya know, sometimes Fred can be "persuaded" that some cross-pollination can be a good thing......and in wintertime, that might be a "good time" to come out here & see how the Left coast plays..... @) ^:)^ ..:.. O0
At least it's better than 18 ft deep in snow.....(unless we're in Tahoe)

YMMV.... O0

LLP

HollywoodMarine

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but the Eureka shoot WAS on the beach the back stop blocks the view  :) and I didn't get any pics.
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!

LayloPro

No pixs?!?!?! You were at an AS on the beach, and you got NO PIXS?!?!

Dude, why d'ya tease us so?? :wb: ~~:)

With no pixs, I'm not even sure it ever "actually happened"....... ^-^ ;D ..:..

LLP

HollywoodMarine

Look it up on Google Earth 40 degrees 52 minutes and 10 seconds North by 124 degrees 09 minutes and 20 seconds West. EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT  >:D
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!

Johnnyappleseed

Another great Santa Barbara shoot  O0
SB club member now shoot boss Jacques , TY and all who made this event so special.
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge