News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

jmdavis at C2 in Virginia Beach

Started by VAshooter, April 19, 2010, 03:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAshooter

jmdavis will probably be back tomorrow to tell us about his adventure as Shoot Boss of the Appleseed at C2 and that other adventure he had concerning his pickup truck and wheel bearings and wheel bearing grease or the lack thereof . I'm sure he will tell you of the capacity crowd at C2 and the high percentage of them that made Rifleman and the good time had by all. He may tell you of the visit by General Washington of the Continental Army who regaled us with stories of his exploits defeating the British.  He may not want to talk much about the wheel bearings or the failure of wheel bearing grease to properly lubricate the bearings while traveling on an interstate but that's just because he is an unassuming and quiet man who doesn't like to talk about wheel bearings.

If you see him you might want to ask him of his adventures, especially his efforts on Monday which concerned getting lubricated.

VAshooter

jmdavis

Yes, just back from Va Beach. And I will not discuss wheel bearings. I might talk about a stuck caliper and the most expensive brake job I've ever experienced, but that would be about it.

I will have an AAR with all of the details of this Weekend's VA Beach Appleseed up tonight.

What I would like to convey is my thanks to all of the people who helped to make it successful. VAShooter, BeSwift, Lawrence, and CarrieB, thank you all. In addition, I want to thank C2 for all of their support with this shoot.  We made 5 rifleman, and we have two new IIT's . More to follow.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

FiremanEd

Sounds like a Great Weekend!  Right up to I-64 westbound... sorry to hear about that ordeal!!
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

BeSwift

Thanks all for an outstanding Appleseed! I look forward to working with you again.  BeSwift   
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

jmdavis

Twenty-seven Americans got up off of the couch and came to the Virginia Beach Appleseed on Saturday morning. The youngest was around six and the oldest was in his sixties.

They all worked hard on Saturday and I was particularly impressed by the young people, Ali, Ben, the other Ben, Dominic, Ethan, Emma and Melia all listened well and showed real improvement as the day progressed. Everyone showed great improvement over the course of Saturday and continuing into Sunday.

We were even treated on Saturday to a short shower that settled the dust and cinders on the range and took some of the pollen out of the air.

On the first redcoat of the day, we had 6- 100 yard shooters, 4- 200 yard shooters, 1- 250 yeard shooter, 1- 300 yard shooter and no 400 yard shooters. On the final redcoat of Saturday, those numers had impoved to 11- 100 yard shooters, 3- 200 yard shooters, 5-250 yard shooters, 1- 300 yard shooter and 2- 400 yard shooters. It was a good day of instruction.

We lost some shooters on Sunday due to previous committments. It began with classroom, since we were unable to shoot before 12. In addition to history, shooters learned about the importance of dry-fire to improving thir skills. We also had time for review of specific issues that people were having trouble with and some time for general review of NPOA and positions.

The highlight of Sunday was a visit from George Washington. We were fortunate to be able to bring in Kevin Grantz. Kevin is the historical actor that portrays Washington for the Saint John's recreation of the second Virginia Convention. In the full regalia of Commander and Chief of the Continental Army, he is an imposing figure. He spoke to us of the events leading up to Lexington and Concord as well as the war experiences of the Army and the importance of citizen action in our form of government. After a question and answer session, the General looked on as we worked with his wife to fire a rifle for the first time in her life.

The balance of Sunday was spent forging riflemen. In all we had 5 riflemen over the weekend and at least 5 more who were knocking at the door. Congratulations to Brian, Airmed15, Dennis, Chris, and MikeB. Airmed15 and MikeB have also taken up the cause and taken up Orange Hats to do their part.

In all VA Beach was a successful shoot. We will be back there in August and November and I look forward to seeing familiar faces and working with motivated shooters.

Photos will be posted tomorrow after they are downloaded from the camera.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

LineDoc

I'd like to personally thank each and every one of you who were at the Va Beach Appleseed!  I've never really encountered any experience quite like this one - which was pretty impressive, considering the places I've been and seen.

The history that was tied into the entire shoot was what was truly motivating - as an American, I find it easy to forget exactly what it took to free our country from tyranny.  I've always loved to shoot; since I was a young boy, I would shoot anything at anytime.  But now, even after tours in the Sandbox, I have a true reason why I shoot.

George Washington was really a great impact as well.  And the overall guidance from the Red Hats and the Instructors made it even enjoyable for my poor wife, who suffered through four different rifles trying to get something that would be functional in the dust.  She's inspired to continue to shoot - after her sore muscles relax!

Again - my sincere thanks!  I'm inspired, and looking forward to getting 'stuck in' as soon as possible...
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. 
- Thomas Jefferson

FiremanEd

Airmed15,

I wasn't in VA Beach but I want to thank you, your wife and all the other shooters who came out with Mike and Crew this past weekend. I hear you know your way around a rifle and I look forward to meeting you soon. Thank you for accepting the challange to take that 7th step and joining Project Appleseed as an Instructor. I look forward to meeting you soon.

FiremanEd
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell