News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento CA March 20-21 2010 AAR

Started by BaldDragn, March 23, 2010, 01:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

This was one of the rare shoots where you know you have been presented with Americas very best to work with, both in the instructors I had to work with and the students that showed up with very teachable attitudes. We had several Boy Scouts with their families and the best group of young shooters I have EVER seen! All of whom easily earned Luther Blanchard patches and I was sure our new Rifleman's children, Danielle and Caleb, were about to pick up Rifleman Patches to go with them. Danielle spend most of the day churning out high AQT scores running a bolt action with the style of a professional.

We had 36 shooters on Sat and 13 on Sun. We got three Riflemen, one (Mike) who had been to an Appleseed before and two that were attending their first Appleseed (Phill and Dave). Many other were close in the high 190 low 200's.

Shoot Boss: BaldDragn
Instructors: James E (Sat only), Jules, Romeo's Hero, Double D
IITs Jules (IIT3), Hotshuz (IIT) (Sat only), NorCal22Gal (IIT3) Eaglescouter (IIT3) and NUKECHASER (IIT) (Sorry NC I lost track of who was there)
It dawned on me about 1/3 of the way into Sunday that the 6 instructors and IITs that were running the shoot on Sunday were three couples, truly a family style event.

The Three Strikes were delivered in grand style by Romeo's Hero, Jules, and NorCal22Gal. After seeing this delivery I know us guys will be missing out on a great delivery of history at the California Lady's shoot coming up soon.
Which should work out to 36 on Sat 25 on Sunday.

RedCoats
   Sat AM   Sat PM   Sun AM   Sun PM
100   6   13   5   2
200   3   6   3   4
300   1   3   0   2
400   1   1   1   4
HS   3   6   1   3
Cleared   0   0   0   0

Several equipment related delays put us behind schedule on Saturday so we did not manage to get in an AQT. We had an excellent AAR as we sat on the range Saturday then headed off for the instructors dinner at one of the three restaurants in Ione.

On Sunday everything clicked and we had more than half the line knocking on the door looking for the Rifleman Patch. Mike was the first to make it posting a 210, them backing it up with a 224. Jules was a little quick with the water, but even though I informed him that backing up the 210 meant he had been drenched unnecessarily he was too much of a gentleman to return the favor. Dave and Phill posted rifleman scores on the same AQT shortly after that.

It was a very special weekend for me because not only did I have a great people to work with I have my long time best friend, Dave on the line. Dave and I learned to shoot on the same rifle and shared the job of keeping varmints under control on his dad's vineyards, pushing each other to hit as far out as our rimfire rifles would reach, back in the days when a kid riding a bike with a holstered rifle on it didn't draw a second glance. I picked up my orange hat in April last year and I'm so looking forward to handing Dave his next month!

I never thought I'd have a better Appleseed than the one we had at Lakeport last year, but this one topped it by a good measure! How much better can it get?

Jules camera is lost somewhere in the shuffle so pictures will be up as soon as it turns up.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

So, I am all psyched for the weekend. We have an awesome crew, lines of shooters checking in, NorCal22Gal is helping me with papers and money.....we are slick as snot. Get the money can in the car, running down to the line, puttin my ears on. Feels kind of weird, can't get em on right. BAM! OUCH! Felt like one of my earrings had come out, and was poking my ear like a needle. YOW! I pull off my ears, and a yellow jacket flies out......... as Sam D would say "well, this is interesting."......

Lucky BD's best friend Dave was on the line. He is a full blown RN, and I had an eppi pen available ( I am allergic to bee stings.....) Took an antihistamine, and was good to go.

Great weather. Great shooters. Man, the kids here this weekend rocked. We had two cute, cute little gals here on Sat. Emma and Abby... 7& 9 years old. They were our designated snipers for the day. They got a bit discouraged just before lunch, so I brought out the pink hat external motivator, the "Shoot like a Girl, if You Can" hats.... Following an awesome history, they were back on the line with renewed energy.

First half of the day I worked the right half of the line. After lunch I got a gander at the other end. There was a young lady who had the posture of a pro. I mean, she could be on one of our fliers.....Danielle was from Fair Oaks and was just starting out on a trap team. I asked her how her instructors were. She told me they were all older people ( I let that one slide by) and that each one of them all told her to shoot "their way". Danielle wanted to come to learn how to shoot a rifle, so she would learn how to shoot "her" way, and take it back to her trap use. I asked if she was coming back for Sunday, and she looked at me and said " I sure hope so!" WOW! A pink hat for the lady.

Saturday night was grand. A housefull of instructors, a home full of friends. A knock on the door, and there is Hollywood Marine and his daughter Sophia! We all get bunked in for the night.

Sunday was bright and clear. We got down to the range and set up. Doughnuts! Phil and Colten brought boxes (2 big ones) of the most perfect doughnuts known to man. I mean this. It was debated heavily that day. You bring me the most perfect raspberry filled doughnuts, and I will deliver.

And we did. We had a group of serious shooters. They were up to the challenge for day two. And so were our Instructors. The amount of personal attention our shooters got from our Instructors this weekend was awesome. We moved scopes, Double D Bubba'd a front iron sight. He used a rolled up Appleseed shirt for the butt of a rifle for Dave's daughter Chantel to get a good cheek weld. Everyone pulled something out of their bag of tricks....... By the end of the day ( which no one wanted to end ) we had 3 Riflemen! I have never had a perfect 210 run from my dousing. It was warmish, I thought it would be refreshing. Mike had other ideas and on the next AQT scored a 224. At the end of the day, there was a beautiful sun setting. The shooters hung around and helped tear down the backers and talk and talk and talk.......... once back at the house we hung out and talked and talked and talked........EagleScouter and NorCal22Gal left at 9, and Romeo's Hero and Double D took off at 11. And each had a 3-4 hour ride home, and all had to work today.

So the paperwork will be completed tomorrow, and then we look forward to the next shoot. Makes me think of what we tell the shooters...."the most important shot you take is the next one"  The most important Appleseed we do is the next one.

As Bob would say " Can you believe we GET to do this?"  Yeah, I do.

See you on the trail!

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

jacques

Quote from: Jules on March 23, 2010, 03:26:59 AMAs Bob would say " Can you believe we GET to do this?"  Yeah, I do.

Had a young lady ask me this weekend if we had regular jobs. Or if this is what we did?   :)

I told her I work 40-60 hours a week and this is how I spend almost all my time off and there is nothing more I would rather be doing. She was pretty impressed we can pull this off with an all volunteer organization.

Two Words-Meriams Corner

BaldDragn

I was asked the same question this weekend by a couple of our students.

I'm sure in this world, where so many are just out for themselves, it must be a bit shocking to find that there are hundreds of people willing to give up a huge portion of their lives for the common good.

I think hearing about our true heritage and what our Forefathers did, so we could be free, helps them to understand.

We are dedicated to this cause, but those that came before us were committed to the cause of liberty. We seem to be nearly unbelievable in today's world, but we hardly measure up to men like Issac Davis.

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

Found the Camera and added the pics I had. Will post the Rifleman pics when we get em from Dave

love Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

NorCal22Gal

This was a wonderful group of shooters to work with. Very attentive and like sponges...just soaked everything we had to tell them up.  Best bunch of young people too.

We are lucky people who get to spend a weekend with people who truly want to learn. 

I am lucky i get to work with amazing intructors.

I have pictures but have not downloaded them from the camera yet...will post them when I get that done....

NorCal22Gal

PinBreaker

Ah ha!  I found the place to post the pics finally:

PinBreaker

The ones above are from Sunday.  I also have some from Saturday:

PinBreaker

More

BaldDragn

SAPPER STEEL!