News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cedar City Schedule for 2010

Started by Buttshot Comanche, April 13, 2010, 07:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttshot Comanche

There will be three additional shoots in Cedar City this year.    They are:

May 22-23, 2010

July 31 - August 1, 2010

September 25-26, 2010.

We are also scheduling a shoot in Saint George, no date set yet.

For further information contact:

Chris Talley   435-559-0372  or BC   702-345-8724

BC
Firearms in the hands of a free people are a threat only to tyrants.
Freedom is our heritage and our destiny.

V

A Beehive of Appleseed Activity...

Well thats what it said on the state boards listing...

Cedar City May 22/23 has no shootboss, no instructors and no shooters signed up....

Wassup with that?

I'm willing to drive out there again from Los Angeles to SB it. Anyone out there local who can drum up some business? I'd hate to be there all on my own... Gun shops, local businesses, put some fliers out, events in the local papers, websites for the city, etc.

Help, I can't do it all on my own. I wrote this "Show us you care and we'll be there with you, standing shoulder to shoulder on your Green. And those aren't just words." in the linked thread. I did the last Kaysville shoot, and I'll be flying out again next week to hold an IBC for Utah IITs who want to help get this state self-sufficient. Looks like I'll be driving out the week after to do the Cedar City shoot. I'm flying back again for Kaysville shoots in June.  C'mon folks, help a fellow Appleseeder out here.

Cheers
Phil

chiller

I am looking at the July/August shoot with my boys.

chiller

Might be able help as a IIT 1 on the July/August Shoot.  Would that be helpful?

V

Quote from: chiller on May 17, 2010, 03:16:17 PM
The immediate need is for Cedar City this weekend...

Where did you shoot Rifleman, and which two appleseeds have you attended and which SB should have requested you to become an IIT on meeting those requirements? You currently show as a newbie. As an IIT you could take Progress Check 1 (PC1) at a shoot and then become an IIT1. Or have you already done all this? In which case two shoot bosses have failed to notify that you've first made Rifeman and taken the hat to become IIT and taken the PC1 to become IIT1.

But yes, bringing more people to any future shoots and voluntering to become an instructor is very helpful and welcome. Just trying to get you straightned out here with the right levels/info/requirements.

Cheers
Phil

V

Folks,

I need to know if ANYONE is coming to this shoot. Fred will shoot me if I drive 500 miles/8 hours just to shoot by myself for a weekend.

Pre-register as shooters or post here if you are coming and how many you are bringing and paying on the day.

Contact Instructor Scheduling if you are IIT or Instructor intending to come.

Where are the previous Riflemen, IITs, BOTG for Cedar City? Whats going on folks. Should we do the unthinkable and say that Utah has to cancel a shoot... No, tell me its not so.

I can't make it happen from here in CA folks, need local effort to get a shoot attendance up.

Let me know ASAP
Phil "V"

Fred

Quote from: V on May 17, 2010, 03:58:42 PM
Folks,
Fred will shoot me if I drive 500 miles/8 hours just to shoot by myself for a weekend.

O0 >:( :wall: :wb: $$-0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Xeyed

V,

I saw Chillar accept the orange hat Yesterday at the Boulder City Nevada Shoot. Desert Dog can verify. I don't know where he shot his original Rifleman Score, but "heard" that he shot a 240 and cleared stage four yesterday with a perfect score. I was working the second line.
I was also working the line when he attended the Boulder City NV. April 17/18 shoot with Chris H as shoot boss.

Xeyed

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

chiller

Have been to the last two Boulder City.

Chris was the first Shoot boss and Desert Dog was the second.  Give me a shout on the Rifleman score if there is a question.

also a NRA RSO

chiller

Quote from: V on May 17, 2010, 03:53:40 PM

Where did you shoot Rifleman, and which two appleseeds have you attended and which SB should have requested you to become an IIT on meeting those requirements? You currently show as a newbie. As an IIT you could take Progress Check 1 (PC1) at a shoot and then become an IIT1. Or have you already done all this? In which case two shoot bosses have failed to notify that you've first made Rifeman and taken the hat to become IIT and taken the PC1 to become IIT1.

But yes, bringing more people to any future shoots and voluntering to become an instructor is very helpful and welcome. Just trying to get you straightned out here with the right levels/info/requirements.

Cheers
Phil

Sorry if I was speaking out of turn.  Did not fully understand the PC1 to IIT 1 relationship

V

Quote from: chiller on May 17, 2010, 07:45:28 PM
Quote from: V on May 17, 2010, 03:53:40 PM

Cheers
Phil

Sorry if I was speaking out of turn.  Did not fully understand the PC1 to IIT 1 relationship
Hey no need to apologize just trying to keep us all on the same page. Your IIT upgrade is probably in the works being processed. You certainly will do the work of an IIT1 at your next shoot and should have do the PC1 written exam part to hand the shoot boss at that shoot. Doing both will get you the IIT1. The SB should also get you calling the line and working with the other instructors to clear the rifles as RSO's, the IIT2 requirements so that when you attend the shoot after that you can do the IIT2 requirements and proceed onwards up the trail. Thanks for your volunteering.

Now back to working out whats happening this week at Cedar City  ;)

Cheers
Phil

V

OK, I phoned Buttshot Comanche, Chris Talley, et al.

It seems the problem is the community in Cedar City is not an email, internet, forum oriented group.

They all think people are coming nobody seems to know who... so I'm going to trek out there and keep everything crossed.

Also seems that previous SB's have assumed people will work the way to the forum and work through the IIT Progress Checks... so I'm taking a stack of those with me to see if we can't get Fred (cedar city IIT not "Fred"), Chris, etc., on their way.

Cheers
Phil

Fred

V, let's make this an "organizing-for-success-or-forget-the-whole-thing" trip. Either we "get serious" in and about "Cedar City, UT" or we move on to more productive areas.

Guys who are local, I wouldn't want - if I was you - this thing to go the wrong way, and AS move on to more productive fields.

It would say too much about local folks.

There's absolutely nothing between you and the local success of the program except the amount of energy (or lack of it) you put into this effort.

It won't be wasted - you'll have a good time doing it - it's a challenge, a worthy project, and an "instant friends" endeavor all rolled up into one. You are lucky to be allowed to associate with the likes of "V" for a weekend.

Make it worthwhile, both for him, and for yourselves.

If you don't know what to do, ask him. He'll give you the straight answer, and get you pointed in the right direction.

From then on, it's up to you. You want it that way.

Then, when the program is a success, you can take all the credit, and feel good about it.

Bottomline, you hang in and persist, and "make it happen", and we're all the better for it.

Don't let yourselves, and the rest of us, down.

There, it's in your lap. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

V

I'm not willing to be that hard on 'em yet Fred.

Well, I talked with Chris T and Bravo today. Their suggestion is that I don't come this time and that they appear at the range on Sat and if anyone turns up run them through a mini - ie not an Appleseed, just a bunch of shooters getting together etc.

It seems the local BOTG and IITs, Fred.B, Chris.T and Stan have been promoting hard. They had 55 minutes on air with the local city AM radio guy, they've spread hundreds of fliers, etc. So I don't think its a question of the local AS talent not trying.

What few phone calls they have fielded from folks seem to fall flat when people find they have to pay. The local economy had been taking a lot of hits. The last few events have been guys watching the wife and kids shoot for free so I guess now even the cost of ammo is factoring in?

I've told the guys that if they hear different I will standby to go till Fri lunch time.

Darn, I was looking forward to doing KD on the 300 yard adjacent range.

Cheers
Phil "V"

Fred

Thanks, Phil.

Glad to hear we have some hard-working LBOTGs in Cedar City. :bow:

(You local guys in Cedar City are lucky to have such a patient, understanding guy... :bow:)

Quote from: V on May 20, 2010, 12:52:19 AM
What few phone calls they have fielded from folks seem to fall flat when people find they have to pay. The local economy had been taking a lot of hits. The last few events have been guys watching the wife and kids shoot for free so I guess now even the cost of ammo is factoring in?

I'll believe this when you can't sell a big-screen TV anywhere in southern UT. I can't remember if there's a Best Buy in Cedar City, but if there is, I bet it's still in business.

For that matter, I bet the local Walmart is doing a great business selling not only food, but movies and CDs. They prob can't keep Elton John CDs in stock...

The old rule is, "we get what we want", and we simply haven't made local Utans 'want' Appleseed...

Maybe we should hold a "free" AS in CC, like the one in Douglas, WY. What do you local guys think?

Better - if you can get on the radio show, offer 50 free certificates to come - or even easier, offer the first 50 spots free - men, women, and children.

Drastic facts require drastic action.

(Be advised. At the "free AS" in Douglas, WY, only half the pre-regs showed up - pointing out that "free" is not necessarily the answer.)

V

Quote from: Fred on May 20, 2010, 01:11:47 AM
    I'll believe this when you can't sell a big-screen TV anywhere in southern UT. I can't remember if there's a Best Buy in Cedar City, but if there is, I bet it's still in business.

For that matter, I bet the local Walmart is doing a great business selling not only food, but movies and CDs. They prob can't keep Elton John CDs in stock...

Oooh, you are a hard man (which is a good thing  ;) )

I did check 'em out on the trusty series of interconnected tubes and no there is no Best Buy and while there are plans for a Walmart, in the current economy the intended mall is making do with a Big Lots... median income 32,000, population 27,000, checked the 2009 demographics from the mall developer... checked out the local paper thingy, lots of businesses gone bankrupt since 2008, the copper mine just filed for bankruptcy... unemployment is up...

So yes, I'll keep working with the local BOTG for awhiles yet...

V

I checked in with our local IITs and BOTG and two people turned up on Saturday, under 21 freebies, as a result of the newspaper adds which the local guys had run. No one turned up on Sunday.

Chris (SMF) and Fred (Hero not the other one) ran a "mini" for them.

So, having spent the weekend alternating between worrying that loads would turn up and I'd look bad for not turning up versus no-one turning up and me being shot for wasting money going, it seems that the locals called it right. This is both good and bad, bad obviously that we are getting low turnouts here. But Fred and Chris are still going to keep banging away on promos, this time stressing that people need to pre-register even if they are free, and hoping that whatever was competing for peoples attention on this shoot doesn't repeat for the July 31/Aug 1 shoot. Something must be in play because the local guys are running hard on local promotions, fliers, newspaper ads and even 55 minutes on the local AM radio show...

If anyone reading this was thinking of coming but changed their mind because of X please drop us a line and lets us know what X was so we can avoid it next time...

Cheers
V

Fred

"Running newspaper ads" is a total waste of money - it's been proven time and again in the program - please don't do it in future. Save your dollars for more important things.

You can get the same results with a free press release to the local paper.

ErikAnderson

In checking the schedule there are zero (0) shooters for the Cedar City event that's 8 weeks away. 

Does everyone walk on to this one?  Any BOTG that can help me get this party started? >:D

TrebleShooter

I just modified techres' tear sheet and specialized it for Southern Nevada, and on the dates I included locations that are within 3 hours of us, your shoot being one of them.  They are getting put up starting tomorrow, and we will have them at the gun show we're doing on Labor Day weekend. I posted that modified sheet in the Nevada board under Southern Nevada 7th Stepping If you'd like them.  Hopefully this will help send a few your way, and if you need help, my family and I are only three hours out.   O0

V

Quote from: MisterAnderson on August 02, 2010, 01:47:01 AM
In checking the schedule there are zero (0) shooters for the Cedar City event that's 8 weeks away. 

Does everyone walk on to this one?  Any BOTG that can help me get this party started? >:D
I just got back from this weekends cedar city shoot.

I'll be shooting you a PM with all the info you need later tonight.

Cheers
Phil

jameson

Thanks for putting on such a great event in Cedar City, Phil. I appreciate you driving all the way over from LA to do this, especially with so few students. My shooting definitely improved over the weekend - thanks for your thorough and informed lessons in shooting technique. I also really enjoyed your telling of the American Revolution history, this ought to be required material in every school.

Shane