News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Quick Question

Started by Shooter30-06, April 08, 2010, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter30-06

Is there a standard or expected height of the targets during qualification or will this simply vary depending on the facility?  Thanks.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Garand69

It really depends on the facility. We like to keep them on the low side so that the prone position is pretty straight forward. However, depending on the distance to the backstop, this can be an issue in the standing position with bullets potentially skipping over the berm. So a compromise is made.

At some ranges we can move the firing line forward towards the berm, some we cannot.

Hope that helps
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Shooter30-06

Thanks.  The problems shooting prone at a fairly high target is what prompted my question.  The facility I have been practicing at has a fairly high target frame at 25 meters.  The frame is usually a handgun target frame and has to be 3 feet high at its bottom.  I about have to break my neck to elevate the rifle in prone and my practice scores have been reflecting that discomfort.

Pappy

Hello Shooter; You could spend a bit of time each week using a dot on the wall and a EMPTY rifle doing DRY fire practice in the prone position.. It is cheap and it works... Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Shooter30-06

I have been dry firing on the days when I cannot actually shoot.  In practice, the slow fire prone position is the only thing keeping me from shooting good scores.  In truth, I have never been as good shooting prone as from standing or sitting.  Given this weakness and the fact 50% of the shots in the Appleseed qualification are from prone, I have been focusing hard on getting better.  Pappy, as an Instructor, what would you list as the fundemental elements of a sound prone position?

Pappy

PM sent. Long Reply to a quick question.
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

George63

-----------------------------

Garand69

another option is to turn your support hand 90 degress and rest the stock on the side of your hand between your thumb and index finger.
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Ewald

Silly idea, can you just ask the RO if you can hang a target backer low?