News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Location of the Ramseur Range

Started by wildman, November 15, 2007, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Here are the directions to the Ramseur Range.

How do I get there? Our range is located just south of Ramseur NC. Take NC 22 south from Ramseur and turn left on to Old Siler City Rd. Go through the stop sign at Parks Church & take Willie Wright Rd. The Old Siler City Rd. makes a hard turn to the left here, keep going straight puts you on Willie Wright Rd. Stay on Willie Wright Rd. for about a mile or so to the RWVA Range on your left at Royal Ridge Rd.

Coming from the south take 22 north and turn on to Troy Caviness Rd, about 2.5-3.0 miles north of Coleridge. Take Troy Caviness to Willie Wright Rd and turn left. The range is on your right at Royal Ridge Rd.

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Old Dog

Wildman, hope you don't mind this.  I have a picture of the range.  People seem to be curious about how the range and surroundings are laid out so here's a picture showing the ranges, the parking lot, etc.

modifed to add:

you can see the 500 yd. range on top, the shorter range on the bottom (where most of the 25 meter firing takes place), the club house is towards the bottom of the shorter range overhead cover and behind it, the camping area is in the woods behind the ranges, the portapotty is about half way between the two ranges and back toward the trees. 

If you ain't been, you don't know what you're missing.

Edited to add some text (description) and arrows to the picture.  Used white text as it seemed easier to see than black text against the colors of the ground and foilage.  If I got something wrong, let me know and I'll fix it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

wildman

Mind....I think its great! I need to get some more pictures up. I'll try and remember to take my camera to NYD Rapid Fire. Thanks again M1A4ME. Where did the aerial photos come from?
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Old Dog

google earth

I typed in Ramseur, NC, picked out the intersection where I turn off 64 and head south and then just followed the road to the range (took a couple of tries as I'm not used to looking at it from 3,000 ft. up.  It would be nice to be able to get a better close up but if you try to get in any closer the image gets really fuzzy.

Wish I lived closer, but I probably never will.  Too far from the folks in WV and too far from the kids who will probably be staying in the Richmond, VA area when I retire and move a little farther away from all these non driving, non shooting, non thinking (?)people(?).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

wildman

Think about south west virginia or south central closer to everything. Lots of pretty country there. I have thought about moving there myself.

Atlas Shrug

Quote from: wildman on December 15, 2007, 05:28:51 PM
Think about south west virginia or south central closer to everything. Lots of pretty country there. I have thought about moving there myself.

Last weekend I drove straight up the middle of Virginia (in across Kerr Lake, up towards the area a bit east of Charlottesville).  There is some pretty country there, and in some parts an awful lot of nothing as well.

I did get in some ridge to ridge shooting though.  There are some nice hills a bit north of Appomattox.  1,000 yards with a .308 in the wind is loads of fun (at least when you have an expert calling the wind for you, as I was fortunate enough to have).

The Kid

Here is a nice photo of the 500 yard range at the RWVA home range.  Hope you enjoy.

"The Kid"
AKA
Keaton
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

country

I was at the bootcamp week of May 17 and had to bug out early due to an emergency back at the ranch.  Thank you to all the guys who got me packed up and out of there a.s.a.p.  I don't get online much or I would have posted thanks earlier.  All's well at the Double "A" Ranch we had a birth on the 1st of June that helps ease the pain of losing a beloved animal. http://www.doubleaalpacas.com.  Thanks again,  Allen.
Keep your powder dry.

wildman

Nice to hear about your addition and sorry for the loss. You'll have to come back and finish the course.

Maryetta

Hey Country - maybe we will see you at some of the Stinson, WV shoots?

Maryetta
"Beware. Beware of the thing that is coming.
Beware of the risen people, who shall take what ye would not give.
Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse