News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Escondido CA March 20-21 2010 AAR

Started by V, March 22, 2010, 03:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Just got back from a great weekend in Escondido, a wonderful range with some wonderful people. I'll edit this with more info tomorrow but feel free to chime in below.

We had 36 shooters on Sat and 25 on Sun. We got three Riflemen and two new Orange Hats. Many other were close in the high 190 low 200's.

A big thank you to all the instructors/IITs who stepped into help us with this shoot, it is very much appreciated.

Shoot Boss: V
Instructors: Bob 210, JohnnyAppleseed (Sat Only), Jacques, Francis Marion (Sun Only)
IITs: Jessica, Mr22CalGal, BrassChucker, AgentTokyo (Sun only  ;) )

Bob and I camped Fri/Sat night joined by jacques and jessica Sat night. This range has great camping on site. A park table/bench with a BBQ next to it for each pitch, with about 30 pitches in a grassy, tree shaded area. Please make use of the camping on the next shoot at this range.

There is so much to say about this shoot and this weekend that I think I'll break this into several messages. First lets deal with the basic numbers.

PaidFree
TypeSat OnlySun OnlyBothSat OnlySun OnlyBoth
No Show11
Cancel4
WalkOn4141
PreReg2114218
Total6115619
Which should work out to 36 on Sat 25 on Sunday.

RedCoats

Sat AMSat PMSun AMSun PM
HS1251
Cleard0010

So we had 34 Sat morning with attrition to 12 by the afternoon and 23 on Sun morning with attrition to 11 by the evening. Saturdays attrition was mainly due to people having prior appointments  ??? Ralph had to leave by 1, stayed to finish hearing the history, then found his watch had not "spring forward" and thus arrived at the wedding to meet the bridge and groom coming out as he came in... I was surprised he was back Sunday to relay the story or not sleeping with us in the tents Saturday night  :D We also had to drive hard Saturday because we found out late that in changing us from a 30 to a 40 capacity line, we had a hard stop at 4:00pm for the shotgunners.

Sunday's attrition was probably due to people underestimating how draining a hazy sun in the 70's can be. Did I mention the weather was beautiful?

We still managed to get the full program and 1 AQT in on Saturday, where Mike (AgentTokyo), a returning shooter from Dulzura, shot his rifleman score. Mike graciously took an Orange Hat on the proviso that he could continue as a shooter on Sunday ;) However, I do believe I saw him on Sunday afternoon under the hat prowling the line listening to the other instructors tips and techniques. :cool2:  Welcome aboard Mike.

On Sunday we produce two more Riflemen, Doug a first time Appleseeder, congratulations sir, and Kasey, a very competitive young shooter using her AR for the first time (she prefers her M1A - don't say "Tsk, kids today" around her  ::) ) Kasey also agreed to step under a hat.

Many of the other shooters achieved high scores and saw great improvements, before the inevitable equipment problems, frustration, disappointments and diminishing returns set in. We did some team fun shoots on the stars with some Rev. War Flags awarded, gave some history of the flags as a break and then Bob 210 did a fine wrap up, where some words of encouragement, wisdom and courage were delivered from the founders. What better way to end another fine weekend with some fine fellow Americans.

Cheers
Phil "V"

jacques

I will post some pics when I get home from work.

That was an excellent shoot. Very good.  And the range, I have not seen a range that nice before. The range staff were great. Very supportive. All the shooters were great people. O0 Lot of repeat Appleseeders, great to see some I have met at Piru previously. Zack, and family!! I can not believe how Zack has improved with his shooting since the last time I saw him at Piru. Talk about a persistent young man there!!

Two Words-Meriams Corner

V

How the Shoot was Setup
---------------------------

In our sharing of the Heritage and History we always make the point of "One man does make a difference." Too often in modern times we hear the plaintive cry of "I'm just one person, what difference can I make?"

Let me tell you about Carl. He is a member of Escondido Fish & Game our host club. He read about Appleseed in Fred's columns in Shotgun News. He thought it would be a good idea to have one at his club.

I drove down to the club about a month before this shoot to reccy any problems and make contact with the club, make sure they had plenty of handouts etc. I met the Chief Range Safety Officer and discussed the facilities. I asked him how it came to be that the range heard about Appleseed and hosted this shoot. "Oh, one of your guys came down and made a great presentation to the board and really got their interest with the history and heritage stories." Wow, so  I contacted Francis Marion to say, "Great Job, what did you tell them?" "Wasn't me" was the unexpected reply. So I called Bob 210, "Great Job, what did you tell them?" "I just sent them a host app I thought it was Francis who set it up"

Hmm, so late Friday night we are met by Carl who leads us to the range to let us in to camp for the night and all is revealed. Carl contacted Bob to get a host app. He read and downloaded material from the Appleseed website and forum and put together a presentation which he made to the board of his club.

As a result of Carl, 36 American's this weekend got to share the history and heritage at an Appleseed and hear stories of how over and over again one man, one women, one child made a difference in the birth of this Nation and the preservation of Liberty. Thanks to Carl, we got to see that its still going on today. It gives you hope for the future.

Never forget, YOU do make a difference.

Thank you Carl.

Johnnyappleseed

This was an excelent shoot,
Instruction with V shoot boss assisted by Bob 210 ,Jacques and Jessica got  everything covered very well O0 O0 O0 O0.
As is the AS norm ,the attendees were dedicated to learning and were very attentive to the 3 strikes ,done very well by V ,Bob and Jacques. I missed Sun and want to thank Jessica for working so well with the shooters.
Congratulations to Mike and welcome aboard Sir
Thanx to the Escondido gun club and the members who made it happen.
Sorry to have missed you FM :( although we did talk about you  ;)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

V

Chick Flicks
------------

I've PM'd Fred a few times to fend off the clownbat ;) and on one he said we have to do more to solve some problem. My reply was "Have you ever watched that movie 'Shakespeare in Love' where his manager is always being asked 'What are we going to do?' everytime something goes wrong." In the film his reply is always "I don't know, something will turn up, it'll work out in the end" and they say "But what, what will turn up? How will it work out?" and he just shrugs and carries on.

Well this Friday afternoon, as Francis Marion, Bob and I prepared to go and run a sold out shoot with no IIT volunteers signed on, Francis Marion had his work dump on him, as happens to all of us from time to time - you have to work this weekend. Have as in, horse head in the bed, "you have to."

So I posted on the California boards, any help appreciated, did an email blast on the California instructor team list, and set off to pick up Bob.

Bob was not happy, work had also dumped on him something which just had to be ready Monday. His car had been scraped. He is a master instructor dealing with all the sausage making that goes on in running any organization of volunteers. We instructors moan that we don't get to shoot as much with all the instructing we do, but really the AS makes up for it. Imagine not getting to shoot or instruct as your task in this effort. So we load up and set off on the drive down.

As we drive, the phone calls start coming in. JohnnyAppleseed can help out Saturday, Jacques and Jessica will drop  out from an over instructed/under attended Piru to come down Saturday and Sunday, 22CalGal phones having dispatched Mr22CalGal and BrassChucker to help Sunday. Sunday morning as we are setting up Francis Marion made it in.

Escondido was one of those shoots where everything went right and a great weekend was had by all.

As in the History and Heritage of the Birth of this Nation, we see always the hand of Providence, the finger of fate, in action around us. How will it turn out alright? I don't know it just does.

Appleseed - Trust the program. It works.

I don't know some of the people I'm driving off to meet at some Appleseed, I know nothing about them - except they are Appleseeders. Its all you really need to know.

And the Bob I drove back Sunday night was not the same man I drove down Friday night.

Let us animate and encourage each other and trust in the Goodness of our Cause.

passinthru

V, Bob210, and all the rest of you instructors, 
     Thanks for a great shoot!!!  My first Appleseed was September 2009 at my son's back pasture in Washburn, MO.  He is hosting three shoots this year.  I am a member of Escondido Fish & Game and have talked up the Appleseed and left AQT's on target boards, and passed out the business cards with the one inch square challenge, but I never did what Carl did,  THANKS, CARL.
     I am stubborn and wanted to qualify with iron sights.  I shot 179 in MO, and only 142 here.  So, I will reluctantly try a scope next time.  I will be 67 next month and showed up both days, amuzed at the stories of aches and pains and complete tiredness by some of the younger than me crowd. 
     Everybody was friendly, teachable, attentive to the luncheon history,  an amazing group of folks.  I never had to hunt down the things I loaned out, they were all returned with grateful thanks. 
     Congratulations to our new Riflemen, two being members of our range, and of course Kurt our Vice-prez could have done it too, he being the one who cleaned the RedCoat...............................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

V

passinthru,

Thank you for the support. We look forward to returning to Escondido Fish & Game as soon and as often as we can.

You are so right about the crowd. Signing in on Saturday I was hailed by Norm "Hey an old face". Without being asked, Norm provided and setup for us a portable PA system to do the lunch time history stories. Norm, Sherri and Zach had done a previous Appleseed at our home range in Piru and were now at a more local range to do another Appleseed. And what a system, it wasn't like shouting through a bullhorn but had great tone.

I'll be bugging Norm to find out where I can get one of those. Are Appleseeders great people or what? The creme of the crop.

Thank you Norm.

jacques

We just get gnarlier as the years go by Steve. We don't feel the pain. One thing I notice at Appleseeds, the people that show up are top quality.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

pics
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Jessica

Well me and my dad decided to go out to Escondido to help instruct spur of the moment and I'm sure glad that we did! I am learning more and more that this program really can bring some great people together and I also learn something new every time. When you can see that listening to the history and important stories really starts to get them thinking.  You can see shooters get instruction and then when it starts working for them the light bulb goes on in their head and they start improving!  It's even better when you're the one giving them instruction on the line and trying to work with them and it clicks. It sure is a good feeling when somebody makes their way over before they leave to say "Thank you so much for all of the great help!" and shake your hand.

There is no better way to put it than how Bob says it.... "Can you believe we GET to do this??"
I'm am so happy to have taken an orange hat when I shot my rifleman score.  Value is something that the Appleseed project has an abundance of along with GREAT people.

Quote from: V on March 22, 2010, 07:59:22 PM
Chick Flicks
------------

I've PM'd Fred a few times to fend off the clownbat ;) and on one he said we have to do more to solve some problem. My reply was "Have you ever watched that movie 'Shakespeare in Love' where his manager is always being asked 'What are we going to do?' everytime something goes wrong." In the film his reply is always "I don't know, something will turn up, it'll work out in the end" and they say "But what, what will turn up? How will it work out?" and he just shrugs and carries on.

Well this Friday afternoon, as Francis Marion, Bob and I prepared to go and run a sold out shoot with no IIT volunteers signed on, Francis Marion had his work dump on him, as happens to all of us from time to time - you have to work this weekend. Have as in, horse head in the bed, "you have to."

So I posted on the California boards, any help appreciated, did an email blast on the California instructor team list, and set off to pick up Bob.

Bob was not happy, work had also dumped on him something which just had to be ready Monday. His car had been scraped. He is a master instructor dealing with all the sausage making that goes on in running any organization of volunteers. We instructors moan that we don't get to shoot as much with all the instructing we do, but really the AS makes up for it. Imagine not getting to shoot or instruct as your task in this effort. So we load up and set off on the drive down.

As we drive, the phone calls start coming in. JohnnyAppleseed can help out Saturday, Jacques and Jessica will drop  out from an over instructed/under attended Piru to come down Saturday and Sunday, 22CalGal phones having dispatched Mr22CalGal and BrassChucker to help Sunday. Sunday morning as we are setting up Francis Marion made it in.

Escondido was one of those shoots where everything went right and a great weekend was had by all.

As in the History and Heritage of the Birth of this Nation, we see always the hand of Providence, the finger of fate, in action around us. How will it turn out alright? I don't know it just does.

Appleseed - Trust the program. It works.

I don't know some of the people I'm driving off to meet at some Appleseed, I know nothing about them - except they are Appleseeders. Its all you really need to know.

And the Bob I drove back Sunday night was not the same man I drove down Friday night.

Let us animate and encourage each other and trust in the Goodness of our Cause.

I couldn't agree more....Things worked out perfectly.  Just the fact that somehow things worked out so that I could show up and experience this shoot with all of the great instructors was alright with me because I wouldn't have changed the way things worked out for any other way. Even despite the long drive and sudden change of plans.

Quote from: jacques on March 23, 2010, 01:00:59 AM

We just get gnarlier as the years go by Steve. We don't feel the pain. One thing I notice at Appleseeds, the people that show up are top quality.

Bob and V thank you for all the very helpful feedback I couldn't tell you enough how much I appreciate having the opportunity to work with top quality instructors   O0

agenttokyo

I had a great time at the range this weekend!  I think we had a great group of enthusiastic people eager to learn the core skills of a rifleman as well as some often neglected American History.  To all of you who volunteered your time and effort to teach us: Thank You.  I truly believe your dedication touched everyone present. 

The range itself was amazing.  Three cheers for Carl!!!  I'm looking forward to convincing them to let me shoot there again ;-)   

I'm a bit mixed about the hard stop Saturday.  The day felt rushed, but it forced both Instructors and Attendees to focus and not dally.  The mad dash to clear out at the end seemed to cement the group more.  Or could be my imagination =)   

As you would expect, the less prepared a person was, the more likely it seemed they left early.  I also noticed that the folks who stayed hydrated tended to stick around. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone again sometime.  Some sooner than others I'm guessing...  Turns out Jeff and I live about a block away from each other!
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed ... However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Judge Alex Kozinski

V

Welcome Mike,

Quote from: agenttokyo on March 23, 2010, 08:15:43 PM
I'm a bit mixed about the hard stop Saturday.  The day felt rushed, but it forced both Instructors and Attendees to focus and not dally.  The mad dash to clear out at the end seemed to cement the group more.  Or could be my imagination =)   

"Mixed" yeah, lets call how I feel about it that. It was a price we found out about late that week for switching from a range where we would have had to turn people away from a sold out shoot to one where we had a hard stop early on Saturday. Riflemen persist, overcome, adapt. I don't think it was your imagination. And it certainly sharpened your focus, Rifleman on the first, last and only AQT of the day. O0

Of course all those crazy shotgunners gathering like vultures on the veranda of the club house looking at their watches while waving their guns might have had some effect  ;)

But it all worked out in the end.

Jessica

Quote from: agenttokyo on March 23, 2010, 08:15:43 PM

I had a great time at the range this weekend!  I think we had a great group of enthusiastic people eager to learn the core skills of a rifleman as well as some often neglected American History.  To all of you who volunteered your time and effort to teach us: Thank You.  I truly believe your dedication touched everyone present. 

The range itself was amazing.  Three cheers for Carl!!!  I'm looking forward to convincing them to let me shoot there again ;-)   

Thank YOU for showing up and participating.  If I'm not mistaken it was not your first Appleseed? Seeing shooters determined and persisting is one of many things that keeps me wanting to dedicate the time and effort.  On the second day you even started to instruct the other shooters! Confidence that is very admirable in my eyes.  :bow:

And yes a big thanks to Carl for everything  :)

agenttokyo

Quote from: Jessica on March 23, 2010, 10:18:23 PM

Thank YOU for showing up and participating.  If I'm not mistaken it was not your first Appleseed? Seeing shooters determined and persisting is one of many things that keeps me wanting to dedicate the time and effort.  On the second day you even started to instruct the other shooters! Confidence that is very admirable in my eyes.  :bow:

And yes a big thanks to Carl for everything  :)

:)) Yup that was #2 for me.  Aw shucks m'am, it weren't nuthin'  ;)

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed ... However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Judge Alex Kozinski

jacques

Fell asleep at my computer last night down loading pics. Here is some more.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

and the last
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Francis Marion

A day spent with free people in the public exercise of Liberty.
Remembering the honorable. 
Sharing the Heritage with families and kids. 
Time most profitable. 

Thank you all for the privilege.

Kent

Nice job out there in SoCal!

passinthru, AKA Dad, you can make Rifleman with Irons.   I bet you a trip out there!  ;)

Kent

passinthru

Practice update:
1.  Lots of dry-fire while in the positions
2.  Lots of range live-fire at many copied one inch targets, five to a page of 1/4 inch grids
3.  Shot my first practice AQT on Friday == only shot 25 on the sitting stage, but totaled a 223.
4.  LOTS of dry-fire & then live-fire is in store for that pesky (for me) sitting stage.
5.  Will be at the April 17 Appleseed Shoot in Corona, CA.
......................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

V

Quote from: passinthru on April 05, 2010, 10:55:50 AM
Practice update:
2.  Lots of range live-fire at many copied one inch targets, five to a page of 1/4 inch grids
3.  Shot my first practice AQT on Friday == only shot 25 on the sitting stage, but totaled a 223.
4.  LOTS of dry-fire & then live-fire is in store for that pesky (for me) sitting stage.
Congratulations! Correct practice in dryfire (don't want any bad/wrong things to creep in and get practiced!!) is the key as you show above.

We haven't forgotten Escondido, won't be an April shoot there but were waiting to hear when we can shoot there again. (Members asking frequently can't hurt  ;)  )

Cheers
Phil

Kent

Quote from: passinthru on April 05, 2010, 10:55:50 AM
Practice update:

Nice!  O0

223, that is a fine score on the AQT.  Just let it happen on the 17th.