News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colebrook, CT. AAR (March 20-21, 2010 )

Started by CortJestir, March 22, 2010, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CortJestir

Well, I ended up writing a tome. It was such a great weekend, I couldn't help myself. it just spills out.  :D So, here's an executive summary for those TLTR (too lazy to read  ;D) Aforementioned tome and pics after the break...

• Perfect weather at a perfect range
  • 19 shooters on Day 1, 10 shooters on Day 2
  • 4 new Riflemen!
  • 3 IITs!
  • 1 RED HAT awarded
  • Many families and youths on the line!
  • Everyone making hits count!
  • KD shooting and much much more!

This was as fine an Appleseed as I could have imagined.

Weather in the 70s. A range that provided hot dogs, hamburgers and sausage patties that are becoming reknowned to Appleseeders in northern CT. And some of the most receptive and talented group of shooters I have ever seen.

Experience ranged from complete newbies to repeat Appleseeders to instructors of multiple firearms disciplines. Everyone took away something new. Everyone had fun. Everyone became better Americans this weekend.

If you come with an open mind and a teachable attitude, this program works, folks. It works. Period. Here's some empirical evidence to that statement:

4 new Riflemen chased down that patch over the weekend. Eric shot his rifleman score at the end of Day 1 having never been to an Appleseed. Well done! The following day, his stepson Sean followed suit with a qualifying score of 210, earning him a nice afternoon shower of water from under the Old North Bridge. I bet it felt gooooooooooooood!

Next up was Marc who definitely knew what he was about. He persisted all weekend and came away with a 214 for his effort and skill And last, and certainly not least, was Jason, president of the NWCSA (our gracious hosts) who finally decided to get on the line and who also destroyed the AQT with a 235 on the very last string of the day! Jason, see what you've been missing? (Or shall I say, see what you've finally found?)

Improvements abounded. One shooter, Helen, started Day 1 not even getting on paper. She ended up scoring 202. Her daughters, 2 of our youth shooters, both went from "firing their rifles once or twice before" to making hits at 400 yards. Well done, Emily and Audrey!

Tom, Dan and Kevin, 3 more of our youth shooters came on Day 1 and ended the day making hits as well. I have a good feeling they'll be back to finish the job.

And I can't forget our intrepid Appleseeder, Coke. Each time you come to an Appleseed you get better and better, groups tighter and tighter. Can't wait to see what you accomplish at Hartford or Chaplin.

The range provided the ability to shoot out to 100 and 200 yards which we did with .22s and bigger bore rifles, respectively. Everyone on Day 2 shot at known distance and got a kick out of how groups at 25m look the same at distance. It also hammered home IMC and ballistics.

Special thanks go to our Red Hats, crak and kDan. All you shooters now have an idea what a special privilege it is to have both of these guys, let alone just one of them, on the line. Vernic82, thanks for your emotional and rousing Second Strike and great job calling the line. And TOMINCT, I never have to worry about the target line (or pretty much anything else) when you're around.

Lastly, thanks once again to the Northwest CT Sportsmen's Association and to Jason and Phil and to everyone else at the club who helped make this event what it was.

And now for some very important announcements:

Dan M., Dave W., and Jason M.: Welcome to The Appleseed Trail and thank you for taking that 7th Step. We're building a strong crew here in CT and I'm so thrilled you've decided to help us out. I'll be in touch soon around next steps.

And a big congratulations to TOMINCT who donned a shiny new Red Hat this weekend. Since the time he joined Project Appleseed, TOMINCT has been the ultimate Boots on the Ground, schlepping supplies and lining up shoots to help grow Appleseed here to where it is today. This is a big day for CT. Well done, Tom. Well done.

That's it for me. If I write any more, folks probably won't have anything else to write about!

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

CortJestir

More pics...
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Buzzworth

Shoot Boss Todd... COOL

Tom A REDHAT  O0 Well deserved  :cool2:
Congratulations I wish I was there
maybe next time
Northwest CT Sportsmen's Association ROCKS!!!

..:..
No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

kfish

sounds like you all had a great time and now kinda wish i had made it up there but is getting more phyched about the ibc i will attending next week and working at the april shoot.  glad to appleseed growing in the state, and more iits and another redhat in the state.  congrats you guys and see you all on the trial.

The Log

Gotta say I had a great time, even though I shot lousy. No, I'm not going to blame my switch to irons, because I know I could have done it if I tried harder - but I am switching back to a scope next time! Regardless, this was a great shoot - perfect weather, I even got a little sunburned. I brought my first Appleseed recruit, my neighbor Scott, and he came tantalizingly close with a 203 on the last AQT on Saturday - from the way he was talking on the ride home, we'll be seeing him soon to finish the job, and I won't be surprised to see his son along for the ride.

But hands down, the most inspiring thing I saw at this shoot was Brian, Helen, Audrey and Emily - an entire family at their first Appleseed! I told Brian how impressed I was that he got his wife and daughters on board, and he said it was the result of a thirty-second conversation at dinner - "Hey I heard about this Appleseed thing. Want to go?" "Sure!" He said he went out and bought four Marlin 795s just for the shoot!! Now there's a thought - an Appleseed-organized bulk rifle purchase program? Just thinking out loud...

Anyway, I thought the strong youth and women's showing at this shoot was the icing on the cake. When I got home I signed my wife up for the July Colebrook - summer is best for her as she doesn't tend to start thawing out from winter till about June. Besides, Hartford is sold out for April. Hope I can make that my first IIT gig - as I told CortJestir, I reluctantly accepted the orange hat because, although there's no way I can justify taking on extra responsibilities when I look at my schedule, there's no way I can avoid the responsibility of awakening more Riflemen when I look at the state of my country. If this is the only sacrifice I have to make in the service of Liberty, then it's pretty easy duty compared to what it took to secure it in the first place. Besides, I get to shoot more!!

Looking forward to more CT shoots. Be seeing you on the firing line.

2paranoid (Dan)
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

vernic82

This shoot was what the program was about - families, young ones, returning Appleseeders, improving shooters, the teachers being taught and above all Rifleman being made, understanding the message and commitments made.  

I am humbled by the events I'm privlidged to re-tell, it chokes me up as it did to an emotional state to tell the 2nd Strike of the Match - when men like us had to take fire from their own Army and return it in earnest for the 1st time.

To our host, Jason who's welcomed us with open arms and committed to being part of something larger by joining the CT IIT crew.  Dan who I've shot many an AS wit, welcome aboard too!

My faith in Nutmeggers from the Constitution State is bouyed by the events of this weekend, perhaps we can wake some more up and bail this ship of ours out?

I certainly saw many hands who are willing to help with this task this weekend at Colebrook.

It's an honor to know and have met each of you.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

TOMINCT

All of the events I've been to have been great but this one was extra special. Three family groups all working and learning on the way. I think it's the first time this has happened in Ct. and it made it so much better. It can only help to get the word out even more and better. I believe most connected with the story as many asked questions afterward and seemed keenly interested on learning more.
A great job by all, the shooters and the crew alike. A special thanks for those that have stepped up to do their part, no matter the amount they can give. It all makes a difference on the trail. Regards, Tom.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

kDan

Wow, I can't believe it's been a week! 

Great spot.  Great group of people.  Cortjestir runs an excellent event.  He's personable and keeps people on the trail with his attention to detail.  Congratulations to Tom on the Red Hat - it looks good.  Also to Dan, Jason, and Dave for stepping up to the Orange.  Our riflemen, our families, our persistent and resolved shooters...  thanks and congrats for your actions.

I know most of these instructors from other events, and it's nice to see Connecticut in such capable hands.  Crak...  I might as well tell you now...  Vernic was going to Harvard last year when I sniped him to Hartford with a phone call.  Tee hee  Interstate Appleseed poaching is fun!  Just don't let me catch you doing it in NY.   &)

It's always good to see young people on the line, and I like to see wives out shoot their husbands.  D'oh!  did i just say that out loud?  how do i go back?  what's this button here d
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Boondoggle

That wife out shooting the husband comment is not even remotely funny.  All four of us will be at Harvard with Crak for the big weekend.

Thanks,

Boondoggle, standing by on 69!

vernic82

Great to see you made it to the forum!

quote author=Boondoggle link=topic=12508.msg105767#msg105767 date=1270339164]
That wife out shooting the husband comment is not even remotely funny.  All four of us will be at Harvard with Crak for the big weekend.

Thanks,

[/quote]
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude