News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla work day May 1-2

Started by alonso1, March 28, 2010, 12:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

Whew! Still worn out, but at least I have a sunburn to keep me warm at night.

It was a very productive weekend and we got a lot of things, big and small, accomplished. Firewood cut, hauled and stacked for the shower. Shower door now has a latch, on the inside! The leaks in the camper roof have been fixed. The inside of the camper received a "thorough cleaning," some new shelves, plus some new paint on the inside. A new sink unit with a water tank was built so there's now a place to wash up. The 25m range and surrounding area was mowed. And any gaps were filled in with general maintenance and cleanup elsewhere around the range. Chuck, a new Texas IIT took an Orange Hat Sat night around the campfire. Congrats!

Riflemen in general are Work Hard/Play Hard types of folks. After having a great meal that was prepared for us Sat. evening, we quickly decided it was time to go to the Known Distance range. We only had time to put a few rounds downrange before we were almost out of daylight. Bummer, right?

Well... even though it was getting dark, a Rifleman adapts. And, Alonso was thinking ahead and gave us a special treat. He has sparked a CMP Garand craze amongst the Texas Appleseeders and knowing that many of us were bringing a recently received Garand with us, "just in case," he had loaded up a bunch of 30-06 tracer to share.  :~  :~  :~

Man, was that a treat. Thanks for doing that Mark!  O0

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

doubleLL

Whew, Starfox and I are also exhausted and sore. We had a great time at the work party, there is nothing like being in the company of rifleman. Spitstickler is right the Davilla range has some new improvements; my favorite is the sink and the upgrade to the shower. Special thanks to Ashrn03 for building the really nice sink.  ^:)^
   The Garand get together was awesome, my first time firing tracers and my Garand!  We set up at 300 yards and... well you will have to catch the video.  :---  :---  :---  :---
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

From the range.

Video coming soon for the tracers! WOOT!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Texas Rifleman

Nice report Kirk. +1 on the shower latching from the inside. I too am sore from head to toe. It was nice to be in the company of so many like minded folks. Riflemen are the nicest folks, have ya'll noticed. I had an idea for increased attendence next year. We could have a instructor/rifleman shoot to see who is the best of the best. Maybe we could then take that to the state level ?? ;)
Just a thought.
Dave
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

spitstickler

Aromatic

Wow, looks like you got a lot of work and had some fun.  Thanks for the pics.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ahh, what fun. It was good to make some progress on the Texas DAR, see familiar faces, match user ID's with new names and faces and get to know everyone better. Thanks Scout for the hospitality and the FOOD. Thank you Paul for the time you took to apply your skills to the projects you worked on.  O0

Thanks Mark for the tracers!  :---

I only took a few pics:

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

dragit

Thanks all for a great time.  My wife and daughters had a good time and the dog had to be shaved to get the grass burrs out. 
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

starfox

Quote from: tnewty on May 05, 2010, 02:02:16 PM
Thanks all for a great time.  My wife and daughters had a good time and the dog had to be shaved to get the grass burrs out. 

Glad you made it tnewty!  It was a pleasure to meet your family.  Poor Parsley, but she didn't seem to mind the burrs.  She got into the Rifleman's spirit by the end of the day Saturday, warming up to all us Riflemen....well, the ones who had FOOD that is.  :)

For as sore and beat up as I was Monday (Scout, don't know how you do it day in-day out) I'm still thinking back on the weekend with fondness.  Nothing quite like being in the company of Riflemen.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

POP

It was a fine weekend.
I wish I had been out there Friday afternoon to help Paul, but, ya'll did a fine job without me.

A couple of things:
tnewty is now "dragit" and should be referred to henceforth as such.
The evening meal Saturday was wonderful.  Thanks to Scout's dad for cooking the brisket.  And, thank you Scout for forcing  ;D  me to stay long enough to eat.
And, Mrs. dragit did the blessing for the meal.  Thank you Mrs. dragit.  That should become the official "Appleseed" blessing.
Finally, being in the company of Riflemen and their families is always the best of times.  This weekend was just further proof of that. 
Thank you all for the great afternoon, and the pics.
POP
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

dragit

There you go POP, change made.

Oh the Lord's been good to me
and so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and the rain and the Appleseeds
The Lord's been good to me.
Amen
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

spitstickler

starfox

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Texas Rifleman

Outstanding job Spit !!!!! Thanks !!
Davilla - 5/09

doubleLL

Thanks Spit for taking the video and doing such a fantastic job on the editing.  :bow:
I think we should play this at the next gun show. Starfox and I have watched the video about 10 times now.  :--- :--- :---
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Reddot

Thanks Spit!
Great job!  I'm using it as a 'recruiting tool' here at work to get folks interested in the program.
Chuck

Texas Rifleman

Speaking of CMP they have some M2 A/P rounds again. $60 192 rds in Spam can. Likely will not last thru the weekend. Ya'll get over there while they still have some.
Davilla - 5/09

Scout

I want to thank you all for all the hard work this past weekend. Thanks to Paul for coming down early and helping during the week prior to the weekend work day also.

You guys are some fine folks ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Eagleeye

Neat vidio.  You might needed to take some pics of the Work at Davilla.  From all the pics and vidio looks like a lot fun times throwing lead and fire.  But next work day may get more volunteers.

Aromatic

Great video spit.  I look forward to my next trip out there.

POP

INTRODUCING

DRAGIT

Folks, the change has now been made.  tnewty is now known as "dragit" and, for good reason.  I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you why.  If he has temporary amnesia when you ask him, I'm sure dalesp will be more than happy to fill you in.   **)

Thanks tnewty err dragit.

and the official Appleseed blessing at meal time ... thanks again Mrs dragit and family. @)

See you all on the trail.
POP
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^

Quote from: dragit (tnewty) on May 06, 2010, 02:13:50 PM
There you go POP, change made.

Oh the Lord's been good to me
and so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and the rain and the Appleseeds
The Lord's been good to me.
Amen
@)
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

BDG

dang it. Looks like I sure did miss out on a good weekend. Maybe I need to move up to central TX so I can visit Scout's place more often.  :)
:~  :---
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!