News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla work day May 1-2

Started by alonso1, March 28, 2010, 12:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alonso1

OK folks, looks like May 1-2 is the day most of us can attend.

Now, what is our objective?  I don't think we can cover the line in just a weekend.

Maybe build another port-o-can or 3?

Build something so we can wash our hands with soap and water?

A covered area to rest/gather at?

Enclose the shower?  I know people like to see the stars at night but that thing is cold!  maybe we can use some type of transparent siding.

Dig in some concrete/bricks across the 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 hundred yard lines?

Why don't we start brainstorming and throw around a few ideas.  In a week or so, we can narrow it down to whats feasible.  That way we will have a clear objective.

Please feel free to post your ideas.

Mark

CaptG

Mark,
I should be able to participate in at least 1 of those 2 days. If you want to put up a sink, I have a leftover stainless kitchen sink in the barn that needs a good home.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

Aromatic

ashrn03

Mark,

I have to be home on Monday, May 3 for a meeting, so I'll have to leave Sunday morning.  However, I can drive down to Davilla after the Amarillo April 24-25 Appleseed and work on 'stuff' from Tuesday through Saturday.  I discussed this with Scout after the March RBC.  I can get a lot of "pre-work" (i.e. layout, pre-cutting materials, etc) done before the rest of you show up.  If anyone else can show up early we can probably do some actual construction: most of the stuff I'm thinking about really needs two people to do safely. 

Better target frames for the KD range (2x4's?) was something I discussed with Scout.

Paul
The way to herd cats is to offer treats

dragit

Mark,

I sent an e-mail earlier to you in regard to what I could bring to the party.  I do not have a copy of it but if you kept it and could re-post it, it may give others some insight.

Tommy
tnewty
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

doubleLL

Here are my ideas: 

Hand washing station:
Here are some ideas to build something similar: (not saying we purchase anything, just offering model designs )
http://www.polyjohn.com/products.html?cat=sinks
http://www.gemplers.com/product/148097/Scrub-n-Go-ScrubJug-Mini-Small-Portable-Handwashing-Station
http://www.belson.com/4pws.htm

Shower:
cover
Is the shower door fixed?  I remembered the door was hard to get to stay shut.

RV's:
Clean out  the RV's
Organize the RV, or move to the conex box. 

25 Yard Range:
Cover the 25 yard shooting range

Group Area:
Build a covered area to gather at- like a screened shelter the parks have.
-   Here are some designs I found online: one has a concrete base the other has a brick base.
http://www.eiwellspring.org/FreestandingScreenedShelters.htm

Known Distance Range:
Do we need to mow the grass?
Mark the yardage lines
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

Will we have the conex on site for the weekend?  If so, I could build some shelves for it. I actually have a couple of pieces of plywood left over from a project that is already cut into strips and would make perfect shelves for storing targets, t-shirts, etc.

For storage for the KD range, building something similar to the attached images below would be pretty simple. We would just need materials.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

didactic

I won't be able to be there until Saturday afternoon, but can drop off material when I'm there 17-18 April.

I have a few 2x4's and some 1/2" plywood I can donate.  Do we have a materials/specific projects list started?
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

alonso1

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  What's that saying, "Birth, school, work and death" somewhere in all that you have to squeeze in God, Family and Appleseed ;D

Material - if you have any to donate, please bring it.  If they are not used feel free to take them back and know your effort was greatly appreciated.

Tools - bring them, especially a generator or two.

The Shower - the door will be a quick fix. Does anyone have an extra door latch laying around the garage?

Hand washing system  -I like the items Lauren posted but I don't want to get into anymore cost for us.  I was thinking of something like the shower set up.  A tank filled with water supported above a CaptG donated sink with a hole drilled into the ground for drainage.  Sounds easy but we will need folks who can link the tank to the sink and people capable of building a frame for the tank and sink. Does anyone have tank or other type of reservoir that will work.  Anyone have a different idea?

Clean RV's - sounds good.  Maybe we can even repair the leaks on the smaller RV.

25m Range cover - I don't think so.  To me that sounds like a big job that would require a weekend dedicated to that task alone.

KD line markers - Yes.  We will need several shovels for that.

Cover for group area - Scout and I talked about that.  We thought about building a roof that would cover the small RV and extend outward to create the group area. This would be the big job for the weekend. I think it will be possible to complete if everyone shows up.

Ashrn will be there the week before.  Can anyone go out for a day or two to help him.  I know it's tough, March and April are taking a big hit on my vacation time.

OK folks, give me your thoughts and let's try and get some assistance to Ashrn.

Mark

Aromatic

Depending on where the metal container is placed, I think it may be easier to use it as a starting point to build a covered area.  We will only need one row of posts and the container will provide wind/rain protection from one side.

During the IBC next week, maybe we can spend some time thinking about what range improvements, materials, and timeline we  would like to see over the next year or so.  I really think the more time we spend planning up front will safe us a lot of time and energy in the long run.

ashrn03

Quote from: Aromatic on April 04, 2010, 12:47:40 PM
. . . maybe we can spend some time thinking about what range improvements, materials, and timeline we  would like to see over the next year or so.  I really think the more time we spend planning up front will safe us a lot of time and energy in the long run.

+1   O0  (But you do realize this goes against all precidents, don't you?  ::) Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  ;D)

Concerning the washing sink, it would be a fairly simple project to tee off the shower water tank to provide water for the handwashing sink, if the sink were hung on the outside west wall of the shower.  The only drawback is that we'd probably use more water than we planned - and I suspect people would start washing dishes in the sink which is going to create a waste problem over time. 

I like your idea on using the CONEX as part of the overhead shelter.   From bitter experience, spend some extra time preparing a level pad for the CONEX otherwise the door is going to have a mind of its own.

It wouldn't hurt to figure out how the small RV figures into the future plan. Having a "field office" is handy, but now it's more of a catch-all storage than a working area.  Determine what's going to be stored there, etc and any shelving mods that might be needed.  I can work on stuff like that ahead of the main work day.

LabRat

Since nobody sleeps in the smaller RV anymore due to the four-legged roommates that seem to want to share the bed, would it be possible to strip out all the non-used cabinetry, sink, stove, etc. to make it into a more functional office? Hey, it's not my vehicle, so I don't want to volunteer something I don't own, but if there are no plans in the future to return it to RV status, then it might give more room for storage/office duties to do that.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

ashrn03

Quote from: LabRat on April 05, 2010, 10:34:44 AM
Since nobody sleeps in the smaller RV anymore due to the four-legged roommates that seem to want to share the bed, would it be possible to strip out all the non-used cabinetry, sink, stove, etc. to make it into a more functional office? Hey, it's not my vehicle, so I don't want to volunteer something I don't own, but if there are no plans in the future to return it to RV status, then it might give more room for storage/office duties to do that.

A couple of packages of DeCon would help reduce the rodentia population; incidentally that should also be done in the CONEX as well.  Rodents like to build nests with the paper; had a real problem in the local Club CONEX until they were offered the DeCon.  Hate to lose 'foul-weather' sleeping locations: right now the big challenge is getting to the RV sleeping area; too much stuff in the way. 

Hmm.  A 'surplus' RV kitchen (or bath) sink might be a better choice for use as a handwasing sink than a big kitchen sink.   

doubleLL

Starfox and I will be there at the IBC this weekend and are up for a meeting.

Doug put some sealant on the RV's during the RBC a couple of weeks ago.  I agree with LabRat about making an office with the smaller RV.  Since the smaller RV is close to the 25 yard range- We could use the back area to store the targets and stuff needed for the Appleseed.  Do we have to ask Doug for an Ok?

Can we put a sink in the bathroom? Attach a container to the side or roof and tubing for the water to go down into the ground? This should keep people from washing their dishes and drinking the water.
Davilla 3-10

reliable

I'll be there for the weekend and will bring my generator.  Take care and tell me what else you need, but remember I'm a crippled up, sickly old codger and can only sit in the shade and perhaps supervise a little (insert smiley here).  Take care.  Larry

Texas Rifleman

I plan on attending the work party. I will bring my toolbelt, skil-saw, shovel and weed-eater. What other tools might we need. Would a wheel-barrow be useful? I know from the the line this weekend up to almost 50 shooters plus instructors that another bathroom would be greatly appreciated.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

starfox

All,

In the absence of other ideas for the workday, here are the list of projects we have assembled:

* Permanently marking the known distance range (at least 100-400 yards, and preferably all the way out to 600 yds).  Perhaps we can use left over bricks to mark the line?  Thoughts?  I have some surplus bricks from when we moved into the new home.  Probably enough for one, mebbe part of a second yard lines.

* Moving the flags from the line back to the RV area.

* Building some form of sink/wash basin for people to wash hands.

* A covered area for classroom type instruction in the case of foul weather (built off the small RV)

* Clean out and organize the RVs

So far I have Mark (alonso1), Larry (reliable), Dave (Texas Rifleman), Nick (Aromatic), Paul (ashrn03), myself and Lauren (doubleLL).  Please reply to this post if you are planning on being there and I have not listed your name.

We need generators, hand tools, hammers, nails, shovels, etc. 

Thanks everyone for helping out. 
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Their is a strong possibility I will be a participant. Might catch a ride with Alonso, maybe with Nick instead.

I have a cordless circular saw, reciprocating saw and drill and 4 batteries to run them.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Aromatic

Hi All,

I have over committed myself and will not be able to attend this weekend.  CaptG gave me a sink to take so if it is needed, I can get it to someone who is going from the Houston area.

Right now the KD range is marked with buried bricks out to 700 yards, larger markers may be nice to do though.  We just have to make sure it wont get in the way when Scout mows.

Please post a list of work that still needs to be done after the weekend and I will try to make it out there to do a one man work weekend before the next AS.

Mark,  Please PM me with a mailing address for the container donation.

voortrekker

Count me in for this work day as well.

We really need some concrete plans on what we are going to do and what materials/equipment we will need.

In my opinion, we need to take this important endeavor off the AS forum and correspond via email instead or do it via PMs.

In addition, there are some really good ideas in the above posts, BUT this is Scout's property.  We need him to give the ok for what projects we will realize on this work weekend.

So :

1) We need ideas for potential projects.  We have several in the above posts, GOOD, keep them coming.

2) We need for Scout to approve them.  <----This will be the most important, sooner the better.

3) We need plans for these projects.

4) We need to know what materials and equipment will be needed.

5) We need to delegate individuals into work teams to get it done so we can accomplish the goals efficiently.

Otherwise, we are going to arrive in good fellowship and waste alot of time doing the above 5 steps....... when we can accomplish the 5 steps well before hand, again emails or PMs.

Brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

bander1643

Anyone going from DFW? Carpool? I'm planning on the shoot on the 22, but I'm more than willing to help out.
The Texas Alarm Riders & Preparedness project could use your help.
Contact me at bander1643@yahoo.com.

Thanks & Look forward to meeting y'all.

Tom

Reddot

Eleanor of AQT

I don't think we will be able to make it out but if you need help purchasing materials, we would be glad to chip in.  Maybe we could coordinate with some of the folks going out from the Houston area to take out what you need.  Let me know. Too bad the kids are too little to be of much help on the labor front.
Davilla 1108

dragit

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Eleanor of AQT on April 23, 2010, 10:43:50 AM
Too bad the kids are too little to be of much help on the labor front.

Their day will come.  ~~:)    ;)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Texas Rifleman

What time is everyone getting there Sat morning.
I'm not camping Fri nite due to rain looks likely.
What time to we want to start?
Davilla - 5/09

spitstickler

i plan on being there 9:00 or 10:00 depending on when I get away.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

doubleLL

Scout is providing dinner- We will have brisket and all the sides. A great meal after a day's work.
Davilla 3-10

Texas Rifleman

Ok I'll be there by 9:00am Sat morning. Anyone staying thru Sunday ??
Davilla - 5/09

starfox

DoubleLL and I are planning on getting there around 8am.  We're staying through until Sunday afternoon.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10