News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Local Promotions Efforts - What You Can Do to Help

Started by Stimey, December 04, 2009, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stimey

In crafting the 2010 North Carolina Appleseed Strategy, I have been considering various tactics for implementing it and making it a glorious success.  I was searching the forum for ideas the other day and found this post.  I asked and received slim's permission to reprint it here in its entirety, and will shamelessly do so, because I believe this list is comprehensive enough that it is workable TODAY.  I want everyone in North Carolina who is involved with Appleseed to look at this post and then suggest to me what could be added or volunteer for some of these tasks in your local communities.  By all means, LET ME KNOW that you have seen it by replying with this information.  That way, I will not be re-doing the work that other hands have already done.  It will also tell me who is being accountable to their commitments, and who has gone back to the couch.

From slim's post of 15 February 2009:

Folks, Appleseed has a goal of doubling in size every year, and to do that, we have to get the word out to the masses. In order for that to happen, we need volunteers to step up and promote our events on the local level. Boots on the Ground...... YOU!

For every event, we need a Promotions Boss (PB) - someone who will ensure there are shooters at the events. Someone to make sure that every American in their area has the opportunity to at least hear about the Appleseed Project and to know that it's coming to a location near them soon!

If you are someone new to Appleseed or someone looking for a way to "help out" or "get involved" this is it! This is also a good way to help your friends, family, neighbors and maybe even get the word out to someone like yourself, who otherwise wouldn't have heard of Appleseed.  And most of all, it's a great way to do something positive to help our great nation become a nation of Riflemen once again.

Volunteer! Step up! Post your promotional efforts here on this forum and don't be scared to say, "I wanna be the Promotions Boss for this event!"

Here is a check list of Local BOTG action items that need to be done for each shoot:  (Please post your ideas and additions) 

1) Flyer distribution:  We need to list all the possible locations we can, folks lack imagination
  a) Gun/Sports Shops
  b) Gun shows
  c) Grocery Stores and Wal-marts
  d)  Community Centers:  VFW, American Legions, Mason Halls, Church, work,
  e) Barber shops
  f) Local colleges, universities.  Be sure to look for shooting programs on campus, they can be good partners in this effort!
  g) Auto dealers, motorcycle dealers, surfboard dealers (gotta think of Ca.)
  h) Assisted Living communities-Retirement homes
  I) Fire Stations, Police Stations, Union halls, Volunteer fire departments, trade centers
  j)  Non-sponsoring gun clubs- Normally pistol/shotgun only ranges, sometimes indoors.
  k)  Book stores/magazine racks.  Slide them inside gun magazines, as "inserts", be smart about it.
  l)  All Military instillations, Guard base, Armory, Regular base, USO
  m) Auto parts and Farm supply stores
  n) BLM, DNR, Fish and Wildlife offices
  o) Local fitness/wellness programs and centers. YMCA, YWCA, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Gold's Gym, etc.

2)  Internet tools
  a) Other forums (supply list of suggestions)
  b) Community Calendars for surrounding towns/cities
  c) GOA Event announcements--Other Press Release sites (free service)
  f)  Send announcements to your friends/family in your address book, ask them to forward it to their address book.

3)  Other organizations within the state, send announcements.
  a)  State Shooter's associations
  b)  State gun rights political groups:  Conceal carry, 2A groups, Campaign for Liberty, Democrats/Republican (must do both or neither)
  c)  Boy Scouts:  Local troops
  d)  4H:  Local chapters.
  e)  DAR/SAR chapters
  f)  Four Wheeler groups, mud/ridge runner groups

4)  Coordination with host club/range
  a)  ensure they have plenty of flyers and they are hung up
  b)  ensure they have event posted on their website/calendar
  c)  ensure they have put event in club News letter
  d)  "advertise" at club for help with local promotions for this event, to get others to help distribute flyers in the community

5)  Other
  a)  Thrifty Nickle ads

Any questions can be sent to me in a Personal Message (PM) or posted here on this thread. Good luck, and remember - Get the word out!

Don't let me down!  Let's all get involved in making 2010 a success!  Reply to this message and let's get started!

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

hunter s gatherer

Newbie here! Got a link to appleseed from the XCR Forum. I think that would be a great place for the project to mine members on the national and local levels.
Many patriots and obviously active shooters. Check it out: http://xcrforum.com

I am near Raleigh and looking for your training roster for 2010; hopefully in locales near me.

resonant1

Stimey,
   I have gotten the approval of the New Hanover County Law Enforcement Association to sponsor an Appleseed event in August or September. Please contact me so that we can schedule.
John Evans
910 232 0690
insightbuilders@gmail.com

RPD

My brother lives in Apex (a Raleigh suburb) and has a 13 year old son.  I'm trying to get them to Ramseur, but if there was an AS a little closer, I'm sure I could get them there.  Please keep me posted.

resonant1:  I also posted in another thread about my sister and brother in law in Wilmington.  If there is a shoot in either locale, I'd like to be there to introduce my sibs to a shoot (they already know about AS).

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Grayson

I think a letter to the editor of local (and national) newspapers could be a good idea.  I'm working on one myself, I'll try to get it in in time for next week's papers here in Mitchell/Yancey counties.

I've got some brochures on the way to hand out and to leave at gun stores and bulletin boards.  I've been talking to some people locally (both known firearm enthusiasts and those who just see the need to bail) and spreading the word some.

I think the Fox News coverage of AS will help spread the word quite a bit!  As I understand it, it's not 100% complimentary to the program but much better than the NYT article.  I don't get the station myself (we have the basic El Cheapo satellite package) but an aunt watches it a lot.

While I want to see NC eventually have a TON of Appleseed locations to choose from all over the state (and I'm trying to help investigate Asheville to see what we can come up with)...for now, if you're really close to another state like I am, don't forget about checking out your neighbor state for close-by events to get people to!

Toshbar

Just a heads up that I went to Davie's Home Defense, located in Raleigh right off Capital Blvd. and gave them about 100 of the brochures. They gladly put them next to the cash register. I have a bout 100 more brochures and will scatter them about at gun stores/liberty oriented meetings.

O0
The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants.