News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla 3-10

Started by doubleLL, March 22, 2010, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubleLL

The weather for the RBC was beautiful minus one day. The days were the typical Texas spring weather and the reason I love living in Texas!! (Sunny, cool, clear skies and no wind) The instruction was outstanding and many thanks to Alonso1 and Ashrn03 for instructing the RBC.  Alonso and Aromatic worked really hard on the known distance range, even putting up a steel plate.

Day 1: Don't remember much since that was 8 days ago, but I do remember going over all the appleseed information in a short period of time, felt like craming for an exam back in college.

Day 2: Continuation of Day 1 with more detail. Thanks Kool-Aid for lending me your AR mags.  I have learned to not use the thermal mags, we are looking for another set for my AR.

Day 3: Rain day... We woke up with the rain and huddled up in the RV to wait for the rain to pass. The weather turned worse so we all headed to Temple for some classroom instruction in our hotel room. I do remember dreaming of wind calculations.

Day 4:  Day 4 was a hard day for me, I started forgetting steps 4A and 4B, my groups weren't where I wanted them, and then I thought my rifle broke. Thanks Alonso for helping me out with my AR. Probably the only female to cry over her gun malfunctioning.

Day 5: Everything came together on this day! I reminded myself to focus on the front sight, I finally figured out the feeling of prone. We did 4, yes 4 AQT on the known distance range. We were "focused" group of rifleman out there moving quickly to each line. We ended the day at 6:40pm. I remembered hearing the coyotes at the last 400 yard slow fire prone. I fired my first Springfield and M1 at 400 yards, hitting the plate 3 for 3 with the M1. The day ended with my qualifying score on the known distance range and yes I did hug my rifle before I packed it away.

Day 6: The last day, and our mock appleseed. The tables were turned and the students became the instructors and line bosses. Day 6 was by far the hardest day, having to teach the information is challenging. I have a much greater respect for the line boss role, following all the orders, watching the line, making sure you are on schedule, there is a lot going on that you never realize until you're handed the reins.

Driving home I reflected on the history and how much I had absorbed during the week.  I know this is the area where I improved the most. I realized I have a much greater understanding of the people and history now than I did before.  I know this is due to the instruction we all received this week.

The RBC was a wonderful experience and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Special thanks to Scout for lending us his land and time. 
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

starfox

Other than the fact that the week long Boot Camp proved that weather forecasters have NO idea what the weather will be more than 24 hours in advance, this was a great week. 

Alonso was the SB of my first Appleseed, so it was only fitting he was the SB of my first Boot Camp.  Ashrn03 instructed us through the more challenging aspects of the Boot Camp and demonstrated the vast knowledge he has of rifle marksmanship and the details of the history of April 19th. 

I dealt with a new eye prescription which is most likely slightly off, and difficulties with the reduced sight radius of my AR-15 carbine which was making keeping the front sight on the target for the 400m targets somewhat difficult.  I went back to the 10-22 22" rifle for part of the time, but at actual distance I was able to put rounds on target with my AR at 400 meters.

The instruction at the Boot Camp was excellent with alot of great information communicated all throughout the week.  Thanks to Ashrn03's drilling, I now can no longer go outside on a windy day without making a wind estimation and calculating the correction for both .30 cal and .223/556!   ;D

We had a great group of people during the week, with Rainman, Floyd, and the newly christened Bananaman sticking throughout most of the week.

Congrats to my wife DoubleLL for qualifying at actual distance, iron sighted, with her new AR and working through frustrations at the 25m range and her match AR upper not liking the Mexican made Aquilla ammo we brought in quantity.  She continues to demonstrate who the best shooter is in this household.  It's her game, I'm just playing catchup.  :)

I had to leave on Friday for the privilege of getting banged up at an annual camp for my martial art.  Even though I am tired, sore, and hurt in heretofore unknown places, I can't think of a better vacation than spending time with my fellow Rifleman.

Davilla....THREE TEN!!!!!!
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

kool aid

To one and all at Davilla 310: Thanks for the warm welcome.

Arriving from Cali Via Dallas, I was QUITE tired. First day I was able to finally catch up on some much needed sleep, behind the firing line being lulled to sleep with line commands and rifle fire. I'm not kidding- slept like a baby.

and who got the handle bannaman? sheesh.

Ashern03 and Alonso1- I learned a lot from you guys. thanks.

More later.
Kool

Later:
Scout is the soul of hospitality, the chance to put faces to the names is always a wonderful thing.

Memo to Fred:
Don't. Mess. With. Texas.

They have their own special and effective ways and means. We could all learn a lot from them.

Especially nice: getting to sit of an evening and chat with folks who threw down for an 8 day boot camp without ever going to a two day appleseed. I like your style.

Grey Ghost: You 'da MAN! Kelly says hi.

other than that, I look forward to returning to rattlesnake country soon.

When I left, it was raining, so I took the chance to get half a soda can full of good honest red texas dirt, from right there at the davilla range. Put it on the dash and forgot about it.

In two days, it dried harder than concrete. Man...... tough folks, tough dirt. I'll moisten it with north bridge water and use it for something cool....... Maybe face paint? LOL

I'll be posting here on my trip home: 36 hours from Indiana. GET SOME!
KOOL
Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Aromatic

Sounds like you had a great shoot.  I wish I was able to stay for longer.  Congrats on the AD rifleman score doubleLL  O0.

starfox

Here are some various pictures from the Boot Camp.  Mostly from the KD range.

ashrn03 graciously let us all shoot his 1903 Springfield.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

starfox

More pictures.  Alonso let us shoot his M1 Garand at the steel plate from 400yds out.

Mock Appleseed day and AQTs ended up the Boot Camp.

Davilla 3-10

vic303

Nice, folks!  Sure liked the pics of the KD range too.  We didn't get out there last year in June.  Am trying to decide what rifle to bring for KD...  Those targets look awful small for these old eyes to see w/o optics...but I might bring the Finn anyway!

Eleanor of AQT

It was great to be out with all the fantastic folks again.  We wish we could have stayed until the end but life, again, gets in the way.  Congratulations to all on the hard work and successes.   Roman is shooting better and better each time out.  Maybe he will make rifleman by the time he is 12.  A big thanks to Scout and family for their hospitality and to Ashrn03 and Alonso1 for their instruction.
Davilla 1108

spitstickler

Man, I was already sorry to miss this event as I'd been looking forward to it, but these pictures are killing me!

Congratulations to the new Riflemen. It looks like everyone had a blast.

Scout, you've got the place looking real nice. Can't wait to get down there on the KD range. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

doubleLL

Spitstickler,
I took those photos just for you!!  :) I knew you would ask me and since you live in my neck of the woods I had to make sure I had photos.  ..:..  ..:.. 
LL
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Banana Man

I miss all you guys already. Pulling out of Scout's property I actually got a little misty eyed. This was the experiance of a lifetime and I am looking forward to the rest of my journey on the Appleseed path.

Thanks to Scout, Alonso1, ashrn03, Doug, and Kool Aid for all the time and energy you guys put into teaching us.

@Kool Aid, I got the new handle Banana Man by learning a valuable lesson. Don't leave your snack in your pocket through 4 AQTs on the KD.
Don't forget, we have to get Neil on the bandwagon.

Davilla THREE TEN!!!
"If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"
-Unknown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

oldgrunt

Outstanding more help is on the way ...Redhats to come soon and boy we need the help out here..Keep pumping them out alonso..

Somone tell doug aka Scooter we miss him and to stay well..Seeys all real soon .Oh and I'm calling the little trailer for the next time...

Davilla two oh NINE  11 OH NINE
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Banana Man

"If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"
-Unknown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

voortrekker

WOW!

Thanks for the pics Banana Man!

Here's one of my favorite pics from a RBC.  It was taken in Davilla, TX on November 4th, 2008 during the prez elections.  While others were glue to the television programming, we were forging Riflemen.

Brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

RainmanJS

I just wanted to say thank you.
Thank you to the Appleseed Project overall, it is definitely what I was looking for.
Thank you to Scout, for hosting such an amazing event, for his insight and instruction, and everything else that he does.
Thank you to Alonso1, ashrn03, and Doug, for putting up with me, and for the intense and unrelenting instruction and motivation ~~:) , it was second to none.
Thank you to all of my fellow trainees, for the camaraderie and help, and for joining the program (and thanks for the pics, I'm awefull about taking them).

To mirror Banana Man's sentiment, I shed a few tears when I left, partly out of exhaustion, but mostly in joy ^:)^ because my faith in our country was renewed by being around so many good Americans in the same place.  This is definitely one of the most exciting things I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of (right under marriage and raising children), and I can't wait to see you all again.

Thank you all,
RainmanJS
No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education.  -Plato

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I love it when a RBC comes together.

sleepy Joe and I only made it the first Sunday of RBC, but it is ALWAYS better to be in the company of Riflemen, even if only for one day.

We got to meet kool aid - THE kool aid!  ^:)^

Congrats to our new Riflemen and our new instructors! Hope to see you on the trail!

This manifestation of dragging polymer was driven out of this shooter by days end:

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.