News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Questions Regarding Event Procedure

Started by Shooter30-06, March 18, 2010, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter30-06

Hello:

My wife and I have signed up for an event this Spring here in Illinois.  We are trying to get ready for it and and ordered some of the Quick and Dirty targets to practice with.  Because of my advanced age and inferior eyesight I am having trouble seeing the prone targets with my .22 with aperture sights.  Do event rules allow me to use a different scoped rifle for that last stage which does not have a magazine change?  My other question is whether the participants during the timed stages are told or advised in some manner as to what amount of time has elapsed or is remaining? 

The answers to these question will be useful to our preparations.  Thanks!
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Missouri Brigade

Welcome aboard!  You are ahead of the game if are going to start practicing.  This will start getting your body used to the positions.

Scopes are perfectly fine for all Appleseed shooting, you will see other scopes on the line.

Instructors often say a little bit regarding the time that is left or other tips during the course of fire.

Stage 1-Standing 2 minutes
Stage 2-Standing to sitting with a mag change 55 seconds
Stage 3-Standing to prone with a mag change 65 seconds
Stage 4-Prone 5 minutes

Shooter30-06

Will they have a problem switching rifles at the last stage?

techres

Welcome!

There is no problem in using a scope at all.  Simply put, you can't hit what you can't see.  So bring the scope and run it.

As for swapping it out mid-AQT?  That would present all sorts of issues with flow and safety procedure enough that it would not be advised.  Instead, just use the scope for the entire event.  Many seem to think that we look down on scopes and nothing could be farther from the truth.  When you come you will see irons, scopes, red dots, and all sorts of stuff.

Bring the rifle setup that lets you see the targets on the last line and run it all weekend.  And have a bunch of fun!

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Shooter30-06

My Ruger 10-22 has a permanently mounted aperture sight that would have to be removed to mount a scope.  My scoped rifle has a tube magazine and is not appropriate for timed magazine changes.  That is the reason for my question with regard to the switch is rifles for the last prone stage.  I prefer using the open sights and am shooting well at standing and sitting.  The prone targets are another matter.

Garand69

As Techres put it, we would really rather you stick with one rifle during an AQT. Swapping out rifles for part of the day is something else, but back and forth will slow the whole line down.

The tube fed is fine during all stages. You would just load all of the rounds, and then break position to simulate a reload.

Hope that helps.
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Shooter30-06

techres

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on March 18, 2010, 03:32:09 PM
My Ruger 10-22 has a permanently mounted aperture sight that would have to be removed to mount a scope.  My scoped rifle has a tube magazine and is not appropriate for timed magazine changes.  That is the reason for my question with regard to the switch is rifles for the last prone stage.  I prefer using the open sights and am shooting well at standing and sitting.  The prone targets are another matter.

Like Garand69 said, tube is no problem.  None at all.  Heck, we will even be able to show the group how to make speedloaders our of McDonald's straws and duct tape.  Your tube becomes a learning experience for all!

Looking forward to meeting you on the trail.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.