News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Heard this mentioned as a prelude to the 3 Strikes, here's more detail for info

Started by Old Dog, November 26, 2008, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

Two months before the battles at Concord and Lexington Colonel Leslie led a force of 240 British Regulars to Salem in an attempt seize muskets, ball and powder (arms confiscation, same as Apr. 19th, 1775).

As the British approached the town they were seen by some of the colonists and they lifted the Northfield draw bridge.  Some of the colonists climbed up on their side of the bridge and a began to shout at the British Regulars on the other side of the river.

Colonel Leslie declared that he was on the King's Highway and they could not prevent him from crossing the river.  One of the colonists, James Barr, replied that is was not the King's Highway, it was built by the landowners on either side of it and not the King, the country or the town had any say in in the matter.

Colonel Leslie was unaccustomed to having anyone stand up to him and continued to argue but James Barr knew he was in the right and would not back down.

In the end, Colonel Leslie promised not to disturb anyone or anything if the colonists would lower the bridge and allow his troops to cross the river and enter the town.  Colonel Leslie kept his promise.  Nothing was confiscated and the opening battle of the Revolutionary War was postponed for another two months, till April 19th, 1775.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

SamD

Look up the "powder alarms" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_alarms and the colonial response to the "Intolerable Acts"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerable_acts   .

Independence was won 2 years before Lexington, Georgy and Co., just didn't recognize it ;D

Sam

oldgrunt

Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE