Author Topic: Canada hasn't disappeared yet!  (Read 13292 times)

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
Re: Canada hasn't disappeared yet!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
As for crossing the border to teach shooting, if you take money home, it'll be a business trip.

At this point I believe the plan is to simply have no money return to the US because of the mind boggling tax implications. Also Canadian laws about how you automatically become an employee and what benefits are due would be unpleasant to deal with.

The last thing I need is a bunch of Americans automatically becoming employees of an automatically created proprietorship or partnership.

I think any American instructors who come would simply have to take it as a vacation, do some fishing, sight seeing, if it's in season it's even possible to do some hunting.

I'm certainly willing to play B&B and tour guide for people and lend them rifles and ammo.

IF the instructor is visiting and wanted to hold a student's rifle and shoot it that'd be fine so long as they were close to the student. As far as I know there is no restriction on how many non-restricted you can borrow in one afternoon or for how long. I really don't think it'll be an issue at all.

Good news, I'm hoping to get down to AZ in November but I'm waiting to hear on travel plans, I won't commit before I have a way down though obviously.

Offline sharp21

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I found my way here as I was searching on Google for an equivalent Appleseed program in Canada.  This is a great discussion & while it is too bad there isn't one in place yet, it looks like it is on its way to becoming a reality!  It is a relatively young program in the US & it has really taken off there, so no doubt we could do the same.

I've got a few thoughts I'd like to throw out there.

While the Appleseed project in the US seems to focus on patriotism & 2nd amendment rights through shooting, I feel that the Canadian program would be better served with the focus more on shooting.  I strongly feel that firearm rights should be a component, just don't make it the main selling point.

For the "history" section the class should probably start with an overview of the US course, so that people understand why it came about & what it stands for, then could move into Canadian territory.  If I were trying to put a program like this together I would start contacting professors of Canadian History & get some help in developing a significant overview of what the Canadian military has accomplished both at home & overseas, as well as covering the great push to the Western frontier.  Make it a nice history lesson while raising awareness of the current state of firearms legislation.

Actineon mentioned having US instructors come up to teach the course, which is perfectly reasonable.  Perhaps instead of running straight Appleseed though it would be better to run some kind of comprehensive instructor boot camp with a smaller group, with the aim of certifying some Canadian instructors.  That way we can run it ourselves in the future.

Alternatively, & I'm just throwing this out there, but would we even need to be Appleseed USA certified?  Couldn't we set up the course in the spirit of Appleseed, but to a Canadian marksmanship standard?  Perhaps get someone involved from the Queens Own Rifles or the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association...

With regards to targets, comparable sized circles are the only way to go.  Why alienate a section of potential shooters & clubs just to have a humanoid silhouette?  It is the marksmanship that counts.

Finding a club to run this program at would be the least of your worries, especially in Alberta.  I live in Red Deer & we are the most gun friendly province in the land. 

Thanks Noah for spearheading this effort.  I'm local & would be happy to help out.

S.

Offline George63

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »
for the targets possibly use what the CA military uses for practice/ qualification, otherwise circle or square  
a link for an article showing need in CA for what we do http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/caj/documents/vol_09/iss_1/CAJ_vol9.1_12_e.pdf
on the AAR myakka city FL boot camp one ladies 9 days from rifle newby to 500 yard effective marksman
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:12:27 PM by George63 »

Offline Gordon

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »

For the "history" section the class should probably start with an overview of the US course, so that people understand why it came about & what it stands for, then could move into Canadian territory.  If I were trying to put a program like this together I would start contacting professors of Canadian History & get some help in developing a significant overview of what the Canadian military has accomplished both at home & overseas, as well as covering the great push to the Western frontier.  Make it a nice history lesson while raising awareness of the current state of firearms legislation.

Is there anything parallel to April 19 in Canadian history? A day, or at least a period, when common citizens were forced into fighting for their liberties? Or some event in which citizen-marksmen played the key role, and which lies (or should lie) at the very bedrock of the Canadian national identity? That would be in the spirit of the American Appleseed, I think.

I'm embarrassed to suddenly realize how little I know of Canadian history!

If you guys ever get anything going in southern Ontario, near Windsor say, I'd love to come up and help however I can.

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »
Not the same really. We just waited until having colonies wasn't expedient and then asked the Brits politely to let us go.

Offline sharp21

Offline The Old Guide

• Shoot Boss
Consider Maine
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
I live on the Trans-Maine Trail in Maine. If you are driving from Halifax to Ottawa you go by my house. I'm due west of New Brunswick and due east of Quebec. We do have Appleseeds in Maine and we would love to have some Canadians come over. (We say "over" in Maine because I would be going down to Halifax.)

We have loaner rifles to avoid any border hassles either way. We just need confirmation so we are certain to have one for each shooter who is coming. There is a huge amount of info on the Appleseed site so you can have the equipment you need. We shoot rain or shine so it's advisable to have a good rain suit. It's also advisable to have a shooting mat for sitting and prone positions. We shoot a lot in two days.

Rest assured that you'll be welcome. During the Vietnam War, nearly 50,000 brave Canadians came south to serve with us. Every summer there is a big reunion just north of Ottawa called LZ North. It isn't well publicized, but it sure is well attended.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Online TOMINCT

• designated Shoot Boss
Re: Consider Maine
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
 Ditto what TOG said. If folks sign on early enough and make arrangements with the SB, or another contact, for the shoot rifles can be available.
 There have been many shoots in Columbia at Pleasant River F&G conservation Assn. About 1 hour west of Calais on US rt1. There's an AS there in late July, might be more.
 Also there a chance of having one in the western part of Maine. Carrabasset Valley area. I have to reconnoiter the range in question, hopefully before the end of the month. If it happens you'll hear about it here.

I live on the Trans-Maine Trail in Maine. If you are driving from Halifax to Ottawa you go by my house. I'm due west of New Brunswick and due east of Quebec. We do have Appleseeds in Maine and we would love to have some Canadians come over. (We say "over" in Maine because I would be going down to Halifax.)

We have loaner rifles to avoid any border hassles either way. We just need confirmation so we are certain to have one for each shooter who is coming. There is a huge amount of info on the Appleseed site so you can have the equipment you need. We shoot rain or shine so it's advisable to have a good rain suit. It's also advisable to have a shooting mat for sitting and prone positions. We shoot a lot in two days.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
 Ramseur 2-12!
 ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Offline TomM1Thumb

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
Targets for Canadian, Appleseed's, modify a standard Bullseye target use the X or 10 ring as the V portion of the AQT target, use thin lines as scoring area's only, By using thin lines You can not see them unless You are very close to the Target say less than 1/2 meter.

So You would be shooting Round Bullseye targets, But scoring AQT's. I know that this is Splitting  hairs, But it might work! do not change the Bullseye target colors just add the thin lines.

I do Hope that Our Friends to the North can get on the Appleseed Trail! Soon!
“The Constitution shall never be construed…to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”  – Alexander Hamilton

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Online TOMINCT

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
 Maine has some Appleseed opportunities for Canadians this summer.

First, there's an AS on July 30-31 at Columbia Falls at PRFGCA. It is located about 70 miles from Calais on rt1. This would be the closest from New Brunswick.

Further south, in N.Berwick there's another one on August 6-7 at the North Berwick R&G. off the Wells exit of the Maine Tpke. It's further than some, but if you are on vacation near the coast it is an option.

Closer to the western side is the AS listed on Sept. 24-25 at Freeman Township. It's about 60 miles from the crossing at Coburn-Gore for those in Quebec.

For those interested there could be rifles available at those shoots. You would have to make arrangements in advance. HTH,
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
 Ramseur 2-12!
 ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Offline BoborDoub

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2015, 11:08:52 PM »

Is there anything parallel to April 19 in Canadian history? A day, or at least a period, when common citizens were forced into fighting for their liberties? Or some event in which citizen-marksmen played the key role, and which lies (or should lie) at the very bedrock of the Canadian national identity? That would be in the spirit of the American Appleseed, I think.

I'm embarrassed to suddenly realize how little I know of Canadian history!

It is widely agreed Canada became a Nation on the battlefield of Vimy Ridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

Many books and shows on the subject

Pierre Berton has a book simply called Vimy
http://www.amazon.com/Vimy-Pierre-Berton/dp/0385658427

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2015, 05:31:52 AM »
Vimy Ridge was certainly momentous in our history, but sadly is unfamiliar  to the average person. I am proud to say that, my own father was a veteran of that battle, and gave me an deep appreciation for the toils of those brave men when I was a boy. The 100th anniversary is fast approaching and I would dearly love to attend the occasion.Every year during  Remembrance Day activities at the school my children attend, my kids point out the fact,that their grandather was present at Vimy- The teachers automatically assume that my children are mistaken and that this is simply not possible, given the fact that the battle of Arras and the capture of the ridge, occurred during the first world war in 1917-  I have  to point out to my kids that "History  is not as old as one thinks", and that we are not so immune to  historical political conditions that shaped our modern world  as we may believe....

https://www.vimyfoundation.ca/100thAnniversary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baicmNYCNZI
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:00:53 AM by sluggo »
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Offline BoborDoub

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2015, 03:06:32 AM »
Might be a bit sensitive I dont want to create any ill feeling but she did do a brave action

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Secord

Offline BoborDoub

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »
better link
https://www.historica-dominion.ca/content/heritage-minutes/laura-secord

Once again I am not stirring the pot, but it is a great story.