Author Topic: Canada hasn't disappeared yet!  (Read 13293 times)

Offline troutfinger

Re: Canada hasn't disappeared yet!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
Thanks again Fred, Just picked up the instructors AQT package... cheers!
Dave

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 06:31:04 AM »
wow more Canadians finally.

As for the humanoid target issue and range issue the best would probably end up being renting the range's at the Mil Cun Complex and possibly a place like EESA who would be be more supportive of it then say the Oshawa skeet and gun club.

I know the machines been bugging me to hit up an apple seed and get my instructors qualification to help with start the canadian version.

i need to keep track of this stuff
Dang it the machine dog gone gave me the Appleseed rabies I'm hooked i need to Appleseed.

Appleseed it's kinda like a drug that is helping the nation.

Offline Nickle

• Master Instructor
  • Graduate of "Appleseed Trail"
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
Well, I may not live in Canada, but, I'm pretty close.

If you go looking for help in the vicinity of Quebec (province), let me know, I'm a little over 100 miles south of Montreal.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Offline gard

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
Another Canadian here!  I would love to get something like Appleseed going here.  I pretty much have carte blache access to our PPC range which would be perfect for Appleseed but there is zero interest in my area.  There are a couple of options, as I see it that would help get an Appleseed-like project up here.
1. Get something started through the DCRA (Dominion of Canada Rifle Association).
2. Get the attention of local cadet corps (not as an official part of their syllabus but as an adjunct course for those interested).

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
Good idea about the Cadets!

Offline Patriot Gal

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Camp Atterbury KD nine eleven
Re: Canada hasn't dissapeared yet!
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »
Actually I'm a dual citizen by birth, however I married a Canadian girl who has a number of health problems which make living in the US prohibitively expensive.

There are rural ranges that are $80/yr here, most in-city ranges are $300-$400. Daily passes being $30. Indoor ranges are very appealing though. For example it's been snowing all afternoon here.

I've not been to a shoot state side, I've had to suffer just hearing about everything from my various state side friends. My point was in-fact that teaching people to shoot isn't very useful.

So, you're dual citizen of Canada and what other country???  You are really close to Calgary.  Where do you live?

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
Just for everyone else I responded to Patriot Gal in a PM.

Offline troutfinger

Re: Canada hasn't disappeared yet! but getting close....
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »
Well.... I would just like to comment that I have not had any indication that Fred is sending the instructors package that I ordered off his website over a month ago... no response to my PM... nada....
Good luck.
Dave

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
Another Canadian here!  I would love to get something like Appleseed going here.  I pretty much have carte blache access to our PPC range which would be perfect for Appleseed but there is zero interest in my area.  There are a couple of options, as I see it that would help get an Appleseed-like project up here.
1. Get something started through the DCRA (Dominion of Canada Rifle Association).
2. Get the attention of local cadet corps (not as an official part of their syllabus but as an adjunct course for those interested).

Can't the appleseed is a total violation of Cadet training doctrines
Dang it the machine dog gone gave me the Appleseed rabies I'm hooked i need to Appleseed.

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
DruidicRifleman can you explain please?

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
Cadet's can not under any circumstances Shoot at Humanoid or animal target or engage in any form of force on force training or activity's there of.

Unless all the Kid dropping soccer moms Have Left the organization to be What it was intended since i left and not some Baby sitting program... that policy will of been made more stringent and ridged then ever before.

When i joined they had just began forbidding Combat carry of fixed blade's and discouraged carrying a knife when not on FTX and most corps had abandoned any Field dress uniforms as a regular form of dress. (we had to maintain field dress Parade and PT uniforms year round and NCO's had to maintain Scarlet's). the corps i was in was headed BY the regiments former CO So we had Higher then normal standards and a few of us Had Personal Webbing. things have totally went to poop since then

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »
Oh, I doubt the Canadian program would be using humanoid targets anyways, many ranges don't allow them. Circles with the same surface area I suspect.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
Why not just do it at a place like Mill Cunn Complex?

Or rent space at CFB connaught i might have some friends who could get us a deal

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
Well it's too far for me, someone else could arrange that. Anything I do will be in Alberta for now.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
is your last name abdustoffy or something like that?

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
Something like that.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »
thought so

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
Do we know each other?

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:57 AM »
i think i've seen you round KYLOMG on facebook

Offline gard

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
Oh, I doubt the Canadian program would be using humanoid targets anyways, many ranges don't allow them. Circles with the same surface area I suspect.
Absolutely correct.  The Canadian program would have to be tailored for us.  The principles of marksmanship however, remain the same.  In my area silhouette targets aren't an issue (we use fig. 11 targets with impunity) but in some areas they may be.  A bullseye target of equivalent size would suffice.  The biggest stumbling block is the fact that Appleseed ties revolutionary history along with marksmanship.  That is awesome but that would have to be addressed for us.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:23:24 AM by gard »

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
The hope is to come up with Canadian history to replace that. I think everyone would want to use the same targets across Canada so as to reduce printing costs and standardize results and books etc.

Also I think humanoid targets aren't viewed as appropriet by many Canadians, in or out of shooting sports and the negative response isn't going to help. If someone wanted to shoot humanoid targets I'm not going to bug them, I do it all the time, but I wouldn't ask other people to do it.

Even when I take friends shooting I only use geometric targets. I know if I ask they'll say yes but they might not feel right about it and not say anything, also the cirlces are cheaper hehe.

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »
i think i've seen you round KYLOMG on facebook
Oh for sure I'm on KYLOMG. Been busy latley so maybe a bit less than usual. I love the photos on that group. Feel free to add me as a friend on there.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
I'd Say Have two the standard AQT and the panzy AQT for those who are uncomfortable with the idea of humanoid targets. As for history It's a Difficult issue We'd need to Draw Comparisons Between the Incidents Such as Lexington and concord.

Maybe make it maple leaf Shaped??? So they are Similar to the Standard AQT's?

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
There's no need to be derogatory towards people because of their moral convictions, also it might not be theirs but a range rule.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
I guess.

i didn't have another idea of what to call it

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
BTW the leaf shaped target is a good idea.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Now we'd need ranges / land to do it

Offline actineon

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 02:57:12 AM »
If you get an Appleseed scheduled up in Canada, you're probably going to need instructors from the States to come and participate. What laws should we be aware of? For example, I normally go to an Appleseed with a loaner rifle. I'm guessing I shouldn't even think about crossing the border with a rifle. Will there be any problems at the border when they ask us why we're entering Canada and we tell them we're going to train people to shoot? Is it legal for us to even hold an empty rifle to demonstrate the proper position? Will there be problems with declaring income when shooters show up with cash on the day of the Appleseed? Is the main Appleseed organization going to have a tax nightmare after a Canadian Appleseed? These are just some of the questions I thought might be nice to know the answers to before someone shows up at the border.

Offline DruidicRifleman

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 03:29:03 AM »
yeah you can hold a rifle Any rifles will have to be handled by Someone with a PAL permit with in arms reach.

Most people who will be coming probably will own the rifle first course would end up being to build an instructor pool.

there are three options Use loaners owned by organizer's and any of us who can travel cross boarder to enough shoots to get instructerfied. Get a tempery permit or Get a PAL and bring your own.

even an RPAL is easy to get I've seen 6 year olds who could pass the practical portion of it you'll pass the PAL portion easily enough.

PAL would be simple enough to get or a temporary CBS is a bunch of paranoid waffen SS wannabes they'd probably freak if you had any thing even a bb gun.

if your bringing 1022s marlins or similar thats all legit Non restricted as to what to say... who knows.

this is what i know noah A will know more

Offline Noah A

• Never you mind
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
The best is to just bring your own rifle, the paperwork is more about forethought than anything. It's neither expensive nor complex. As far as I know you don't have to be supervised if you bring your own. I believe the "arms reach" supervision only applies to loaning. Also Americans can get Canadian licenses and registrations if they wish which makes crossing the border very easy. Some rifles however are sticking points notable AR-15s which are restricted (special license, storage, and transport requirements) and FALs which are prohibited all together. There is a list of what's prescribed different than the regulations would categorize it at http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/SOR-98-462/FullText.html