News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Canton, MS Mar 20-21 2010

Started by dart67eb, March 23, 2010, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dart67eb

This is a thread starter so you can start posting your pics until Dond gets settled in.  I'll be putting mine up after work.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

dond

As usual, we had a superb shoot at Canton, featuring Mississippi's top notch shooters. Saturday was beautiful; temperature in the 70s, and one Rifleman was made. But Sunday!!! We were greeted with cold rain, sleet, snow-and cold all day. And in Southern Mississippi. >:D  !@#) (Where did that Global Warming sneak off to?)  ~~:) However, 5 more Riflemen were made.  ^:)^  ..:.. Out of the 6 Riflemen, 3 were first time Appleseeders. And there were only 18 shooters. Two of the Riflemen, Calfret and Ladyzipper, stepped up to take Orange hats.  :D Both will be huge assets for AS. Young Peter, who has just turned 10 years old, and who shot a 201 at North Little Rock earlier this year, followed it up with a 224 this time. I don't think his smile has decreased any since then. He can't wait until he's 12 to join his father and brother as instructors.

At least 3 cameramen were in action, so you can expect many pictures to follow.

A number of the shooters are in a position to make AS grow in MS, and fully intend to do so. One new range to us is already in the process of coming on-line, and another is approaching the starting line. Others are in the works. This is all due to the determined, monumental efforts of Determined 451, the Mississippi State Coordinator. I said last Fall that MS was ready to explode for us, and it is in the process of doing so. Canton has five local Orange Hats who are progressing rapidly, and Orange is beginning to be seen in other parts of the state.  :~ We also had visiting instructors from TN, Georgia, and Louisiana, who performed magnificently. The success at Canton would not have been possible without the nurturing efforts of the rangemaster, Raven227, who is also one of the rapidly moving Orange Hats.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

wesm

My first Appleseed as an IIT had a little bit of everything!  From sunny, pleasant shooting Saturday to a subtle reminder on Sunday that our ancestors didn't have the privilege of Gore Tex and Thinsulate.  I was pleased that the Appleseeders were not deterred by the 40 degrees/snow in Mississippi, on the first day of spring, but turned out to be troopers for the second day of shooting.  Indeed it was cold! But we can't control the weather, so we prepare as best we can, and then we persevere!  One might even extrapolate that cold weather makes better shooters, as the 30 degree drop gave us 5 Riflemen (actually 4, and one Riflewoman) on Sunday, as opposed to 1 on Saturday. But we proved that even in the Deep South, as with the Post Office, neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor hail shall keep the Appleseeders from their appointed "rounds".   :~

I took a particular joy in watching the shooting of the two young men on the left side of the line.  Griffin, age 11, and Peter, age 10.  Peter cleaned the Redcoat target on the first day, and we all knew he'd get Rifleman this weekend.  Griffin showed a marked improvement over the course of the weekend, and it was a pleasure to help teach someone with such a willing attitude.  We had some a couple of potential "dangerous old men", too this weekend, who were new to Appleseed, but expressed their appreciation and enjoyment of the weekend before they had to leave on Sunday.  I hope we'll see them again soon.

I truly enjoyed getting to know both the Appleseeders and my fellow IITs.  DonD, as always, did a superb job, and his (and Sarah's) efforts are appreciated mightily down here in the Magnolia State.  Before too long, we'll have some full-fledged Instructors native to MS to show as a testimony to their efforts. 

DonD, the cold weather and snow was a stark change from the giant mosquitoes of last October, huh? 
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

oldfudd

The shooters in Mississippi must be a well kept secret.  Young and old, short and tall, skinny and (er') rubenesque, they all came to learn and to push the envelope for that Rifleman's patch.  Some left still cooks, but believe me, it won't be long before they'll all be Riflemen, and most will want Orange Hats.  As Don said, Saturday was great weather, but Sunday was certainly different.  Cold, rain, sleet, snow flurries (with the very occasional glimmer of sunshine) didn't seem to dampen any spirits.  At the end of the day, near dark, we still had almost a full line that wanted to keep hammering the QDAQTs.   :~

I have no doubt that most of them will be back for the next Appleseed, and will probably bring friends and family.  These shooters displayed great spirit, and an ability to absorb and apply a lot of information.  It was really a privilege to work with such people.   ^:)^  I can't wait to see all the pictures.   ^:)^   ^:)^   ^:)^

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

dart67eb

Some pics as promised.  I just got back from a little league game so I'll do a narrative tomorrow!

gallowglas

Yea, we left Sunday.  Did not want to but thought our colds would come back in the bad weather.  And they did.

We will certainly try to come back in April schedule permitting, and maybe bringing friends/relatives.

Determined451

Guys, I can't tell you how happy ,and proud,I was with our group.  I am not going to mention individual names ,or experiences...because I am afraid I will leave someone out....It seemed all had things to share, accomplished some goals, and failed to accomplish others.  Thing is...We were all out there doing something..not sitting under the boob tube watching who knows what. Every where I turned, we had Instructors instructing, students learning.  All trying to gain the coveted Rifleman's patch ?  Nope... all enjoying one of our most precious freedoms. .. The Second Amendment.  Freedom has never been, nor will it ever be free.  Were you cold and uncomfortable in our blizzard?  Did you complain about the wetness?  Think about Valley Forge..and think about the countless brave young men and women that are in the Sand Box.. These people deserve to be honored, and remembered in our hearts and prayers every day we breath .

When I first found Appleseed, I thought cool...a place to learn to shoot. better....That was true, but as I become more involved.  I realize how unimportant that is in relation to the HISTORY of what happened .   Folks, we can't forget these people.. We just can't..Ask yourself . Could I make the sacrifices today for the next unborn generation that they made?

Anyway, I am deeply proud of all of you, and look forward to each and everyone returning in April.

As Dond said, "Mississippi is about to explode".  It won't be anything special I did..It will be all of us pulling together to accomplish the goal of making Appleseed grow. I will ask that you do one thing for me.  Please look at the list of Clubs I published on one of the State threads, and PLEASE do not contact any management in those clubs without first contacting me.  I want everyone's input, and help, but we have to do things in an orderly fashion, if we are going to obtain our goals.  Our efforts in the past have been unorganized.  People have put out information that was not by Appleseed policy, and there is some ill will out there that we must overcome.  That is where I can help.. Please feed me any scrap of information you can.  I promise you it will be followed up on..I have a file building on each club, and by having this information, we can make a presentation that will obtain our goals.  Appleseed has some very talented leaders...Know one thing......All eyes are on Mississippi... I have not asked for one thing that has not been taken care of.

I truly hope God will bless each of you, and our Nation once more..D-451

P.S.  Yes Wes, I think I will get the pictures on this evening, or in the morning. Thanks for taking care of me

The Second Ammendment--America's Original Homeland Security

Determined451

O.K....With a gigantic leap of faith, I am going to try and get my pictures on.  I am also trying to send individuals their pictures separate..if you see some you want, let me know, D-451

Determined451

Some more

dart67eb

This was a FUN shoot!  The weather was great on the first day and not that bad on the second, considering what could have been.  The facility was first rate, as was the person who ran it.  A 33% rifleman rate!  Fantastic!  Of the ones who didn't earn a patch, all made improvement.  We had an 11 yr old who almost cleaned the redcoats on Sunday.  I learned a lot from the other instructors and am thankful for it.  It won't be the last time I'm in Canton!

John Hearne

I wanted to thank everyone for a great time and learning experience.  I had a fair number of previous classes and THOUGHT I knew how to shoot a rifle.  I have a whole new appreciation of what it means to shoot a rifle with precision.  I've forwarded a bunch of brochures to friends and hope I can drag some of them to the April event.

Determined451

Good to hear that John.  Be sure and get everyone preregistered on line if possible.  Get some of your L.E. friends to come down.  Don't forget to follow up on the indoor deal we talked about..Give me a call if I can help in any way.. D-451

LadyZipper

I cannot begin to express what a great Appleseed this was for me. Many thanks to all that were there to educate and support us on the line. I hesitate to mention names for fear that I will miss someone. However, I wish to extend special thanks to SarahD who is a great supporter and took care of all the administrative extras.

I learned so much and yet have so much to learn. Thank you all for a wonderful time. Hopefully I will do this orange hat justice.

-Vicki Mc

Determined451

No doubt in my mind that you and the hat belong together..........If we can help you in any way, just ask...I have always said that women are the best students.  D-451