News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

History

Started by Western Rose, January 05, 2010, 11:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Rose

This thread is for stories of the "youngsters" in the Revolutionary War. The adults have their Dangerous Old Men and the Dangerous Dames, now we can have our Dangerous Young People. And no, you don't have to be a kid to post some stories for us.

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Johnny

Thank You!  Thanks SamD for posting these sites. I'm a home schooler and look for all the resources I can on the Revolutionary War, and Am. History in general. This is a hugh time saver.   Thank You Western Rose for setting up this thread. We will post what ever we can dig up. Thank you, thank you!   Johnny in Louisiana
"GOD has intrusted you with educating your children. Teach them all that you know!"
"There is a circle of protection you put your family in. For some this is extended to friends, and for others, even to total strangers." Quote from "Gralen".

Greg in MO

The following is an excellent book about teenagers experiences in the Revolutionary War, both Patriots and Tories.  Some of the things these kids went through were truly incredible. 

Unfortunately, I loaned it to Guy, and I think he "misplaced" it... 

http://www.amazon.com/Was-Teenager-American-Revolution-Patriots/dp/0786425091/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262787306&sr=8-11

Greg

Western Rose

Elizabeth Zane - my personal favorite
by PHenry

In 1782, at Ft. Henry Virginia, 60 settlers were surrounded by 350 of the King's men - a combination of British Regulars, Hessian Mercenaries and Indians who has sided with the British on the promise of keeping their ancestral lands.

Of the 60 settlers, only 18 were growed men, the rest being women and children. Through spirited and accurate musket fire, these 18 men had held off several assaults on the forts walls.

Alas, after these several assaults, the supply of powder was running perilously low. All inside the fort knew their fate. You see, the British were not known for offering quarter to women and children - I will spare you the grisly details.

There was one last hope - a small cottage about 60 yards from the walls of the fort that held a supply of powder the British forces did not know of. The men were discussing who would go on this "suicide mission" to make an attempt to retrieve the powder when 18 year old Elizabeth Zane spoke up and said she would go.

Now, initially the men shouted her down. They would not allow such a terrible fate to befall sweet little Elizabeth. But, Elizabeth was smart. She argued that with only 18 men to defend the fort, they couldn't afford to loose a single man. Further, they all knew darn well there wasn't a man among them that could outrun her.

The men were forced to accept Elizabeth's logic and so they opened the gates of the Fort and let her walk out. She strolled along as if on a Sunday picnic - not a care in the world. The enemy was so stunned that they did not even fire on the girl.

She made it to the cottage unharmed and removed one of her petticoats to make a satchel for carrying the powder.

Now like I said, little Elizabeth was a smart girl. She knew she wouldn't git away with here ruse twice. She lit out of that cottage at a full run - fast as she could go. The woods erupted in musketfire - the balls whistled all around Elizabeth as she ran for her life and the lives of her fellow settlers.

She made it almost all the way back when she tripped and fell flat. The settlers in the fort looked on in horror at poor Elizabeth, but she picked herself up and made it through the gates of the fort unscathed.

The powder she brought back enabled the men to hold off the enemy for another day and a half, when they simply gave up and left like the cowards that they were.

Little Elizabeth Zane. 18 years old, brown hair, about this big, with the heart of a lion and a love of Liberty that knew no bounds!

The stories you have just heard are all true. They are the tales of the people that secured and maintained the Freedom that allows us to be here today as free men and women.

They weren't "super-heroes". They weren't magicians. They were simple farmers and fathers, shopkeepers and mothers. Not at all different from the people you see here today.

They came here from Europe seeking a better life - unfettered by oppression and the hereditary rule of kings. Many of them signed on as indentured servants and apprentices to buy their passage. They worked for years to purchase their Freedom - anything to get here and have a chance at a better way of life.

America has always stood as a beacon of hope to the world. Will we let this be the last generation that maintains the ideals of these great men and women? Not on my watch! How 'bout you?

Thank you, PHenry!! O0

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

Western Rose

Thanks for posting the links, Sam.

Greg in MO, thanks for the book recommendation.

50th Appleseed

Wheeler44

Hey, W. Rose ..... I have a copy of  Zane Grey's  "Betty Zane" in my library.... Betty (Elizabeth) was his G. Grammaw...The story is a somewhat romanticized version of her life...Much like the poem "Paul Reveres' ride" differs from the book...Still it's a good story, based on fact and entertaining......If you would like to borrow it , you may....

It's a family heirloom and a 1st edition so I would need it back some day....

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Green Light

Thanks W Rose for starting this thread.  One of my favorite boys that fought during the Revolution is Ebenezer Fox.  He didn't fight during the battle of Lexington and Concord, but I still think he is a hero.  Unfortunately, he was captured and put aboard the Jersey.  To findout more about him and two other boys, Joesph Martin, and John Greenwood, read the book Boys of the Revolution, it is a great book.

Green Light
Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?  Isaiah 2:22

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

Johnny

Thans Green Light, that sounds like a book for my 12 year old to read. Thanks a bunch!
"GOD has intrusted you with educating your children. Teach them all that you know!"
"There is a circle of protection you put your family in. For some this is extended to friends, and for others, even to total strangers." Quote from "Gralen".

NorCal22Gal

I recently read a book called A People's History of the American Revolution, by Ray Raphael....there is an excellent chapter called "Fighting Men and Boys".  Gives accounts of youngsters who were affected by the battles at Lexington and Concord and ran off (some of them) to try to join the fighting..and others who did join. Gives some reports in their own words as well.  Some were followed through out the war, journal entries and letters home.  It was quite interesting.

Johnny

I've read "Paul Rever's Ride" or at least most of it. One of my friends must have borrowed it not knowing I wasn't finished, but I'd rather they keep reading it cause I just started on Joseph Plumb Martin's diary. It's called "Ordinary Courage" and is a day to day account of his time spent as a Private Soldier in the Continental Army. It's a very good book for in-site into the life of of a soldier and I don't consider it dry at all.

blackbeard

http://www.hoctor.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/daniel_higgins_patriot.pdf

This is a story about my many Great Grandfather.  It doesn't talk extensively about his childhood, but it does discuss how he, as a child, found him self alone in what was soon to be the United States of America.  And he helped make it so.

Green Light

Thanks  blackbeard for the book link.  It feels good to have a ancestors that fought during the Revolutionary war.  One of my many great grandfathers fought in the Battle of Fallen Timbers.  For his reward, he received some land which was past down through the years.  My dad grew up on the same land.

G.R.
Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?  Isaiah 2:22

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

Spanner

There are some Historical Fictions that I recommend for teenagers (and adults):

Kenneth Roberts, Arundel and the sequel Rabble in Arms.

These are books that local libraries are likely to have.  They cover the Revolutionary War up through the battle of Saratoga.

Here is the Wikipedia page for the Author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Roberts_(author)

Don't scoff at the fact that they are fictional.  They are very engaging (all ages).

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

GoldFish

Thank you Spanner; I'll have to look those up and read them, keeping in mind that they are fiction.  ;)
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

GoldFish

I know that this sounds really original, but Paul Revere's Ride is an EXCELLENT read for people of all ages, especially children who haven't heard the TRUTH about the American Revolution.

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity