News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

February Revolutionary Calendar

Started by gunville, February 03, 2010, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

I got this from the Breeds Hill institute mailing list...

(I love and hate these things - I love them because this stuff interests me so much; I hate them because inevitably the send me into ADD research mode.)

Keep your eye on the front sight!
Gunville

February Revolutionary Calendar

February 2, 1781
At Steele's Tavern in Salisbury South Carolina, General Nathanael Greene is overheard telling his doctor Joseph Read he was "Fatigued, hungry, alone, and penniless!'. The tavern owner, Patriot Elizabeth Maxwell Steele fed the General breakfast and then presented him with two bags of specie (coins) saying 'Take these, for you will need them, and I can do without them.' The money was most likely years worth of savings. General Green was so moved by the woman's generosity that he took down the print of King George hanging nearby and wrote on the back "O, George, hide thy face and mourn." before hanging the picture back up facing the wall.

February 3, 1781
American General Nathanael Greene and his troops successfully cross the Yadkin River to evade General Charles Cornwallis. 

February 4, 1789 & 1792
George Washington is unanimously elected by The Electoral College as President of The United States.

February 6, 1778
The French and American Alliance is signed.

February 10 1779
The Battle of Carr's Fort Georgia

February 12, 1789
Patriot hero Ethan Allen dies

February 13 1776
Patrick Henry is named colonel of the 1st Virginia Battalion.

February 14, 1779
Patriots win a victory at Kettle Creek Georgia

February 17, 1776
The first Continental Navy Squadron puts out to sea.

February 22, 1732
George Washington is born. HUZZAH!

February 23, 1778
Friedrich von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge. This Prussian military officer soon began training the demoralized Continental Army in close-order drill, bringing discipline and a new feeling of confidence to the Army.

February 24, 1803
Marbury v. Madison establishes judicial review
On this day in 1803, the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice John Marshall, decides the landmark case of William Marbury versus James Madison, Secretary of State of the United States and confirms the legal principle of judicial review--the ability of the Supreme Court to limit Congressional power by declaring legislation unconstitutional--in the new nation.

February 25, 1779
British surrender Fort Sackville to the forces of George Rogers Clark

February 27, 1776
Patriots see their first battlefield victory at Moore's Creek Bridge, North Carolina
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Fred

gunville, good stuff! Thanks for posting it.

How about posting "March" as soon as it comes in?

PS: Can you provide a citation for your signature line (which is a good one!)?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

gunville

I just caught the query - the quote comes from The American Rifle: A Biography but I'll have to check and see if that is it's original source.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell