News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Farmington, NM March 14-15 2010

Started by Devnull, March 16, 2010, 07:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devnull

What a weekend! A hearty THANK YOU to the San Juan Wildlife people for allowing us to use their range. It is truly one of the finest facilities in New Mexico!

Saturday was a rare warm day for New Mexico. It started off a little blustery and cold but warmed up quickly into the 60's. Some of our instructors were seen in short sleeves. (It's been several months since we could pull THAT off!) The shooters were working hard and we managed to have some fun and awkward laughs while working through the Course of Fire.

During lunch I told the first strike, Precisely Advantageous told the second and I wrapped it up with the third. EVERYONE was listening intently. They heard what it really means to be an American. Remember folks, get involved in that political system. Don't let them congress critters make decisions without YOU telling them what their vote is!

They day ended with a lot of sore people.

Then came Sunday. I woke up at 0530 and looked out the window on our 3rd floor hotel room. "What is that white stuff? SNOW?!? Well, it's only on the cars so we should be good." Precisely Advantageous and I went downstairs for chow around 0620 and left for the range around 0645. As we walked out the door we were accosted by 6 inches of snow on the ground. After a "fun" drive to the range the snow really started coming down. By 0730 we had 8 inches on the ground and the temperature were a little below 20. The wind was gusting at about 15 knots. "Mmmm. Rifleman weather! What a GLORIOUS day to make some Riflemen!"

We had three shooters show up to shoot. Two others came out, stood with us for a while and decided to pack it in.

On tap for Sunday was Ball and Dummy, Rifleman's bubble, rifleman's dance and a whole lot of AQTs. Things started off slow as everyone was fighting their muscles undulating in a somewhat chaotic manner. We were slogging through the now muddy and snowy range to the target line and back.The fellow from the range kept asking us "How are you polar bears doing?" each time he stopped by the range. The scores were showing improvement though, so onward we mushed. You could see the intent desire in their eyes to move away from the rear of the line and away from their lives as cooks. They were even improvising, adapting and overcoming equipment issues. We broke for lunch around 1130 and went inside to the warm indoor range and classroom to hear about some dangerous old men.

After some history and a lot of heart warming conversation (And hot coffee, warm room and calories on board) we headed back to the grind. The first AQT after lunch netted the best scores of the weekend. A 204, 176 and a 156. Harder and harder we pushed, but their bodies were pushing back harder. I could see the look of desperation, exhaustion and desire to learn in their eyes. Finally around 1600 due to decreasing scores and the most worn out faces I have ever seen in shooters I made the call that we would do one more AQT and then a red coat.

Their marksmanship really did improve! Those three learned a lot this weekend. Unfortunately their bodies and mother nature decided to be ornery and throw a wrench into their plans.  We didn't make any Riflemen but I know those three are well on their way down the road to being a rifleman. Their tenacity and perseverance tells me they are not cooks at heart, but Riflemen!

To our Sunshine patriots and fair-weather friends, we missed you on Sunday! I hope you will come again to the next one as we REALLY want to help you learn the fundamentals of marksmanship and help YOU on your journey to becoming a rifleman.

Thank you all for a safe and fun shoot. We will see you all again on the appleseed trail!
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Precisely Advantageous

Yes indeed Devnull hit the nail on the head! This is a nice range with several gongs at various ranges to practice those newly learned rifleman skills. In the pics you can see a tiny black dot all the way in the back, thats a steel black bear at ~750 yards. :--- We teach you what you need to know to hit targets that far away even though we say a rifleman is effective out to 500 yards. Dry fire and get comfortable with your rifle so your using the least amount of muscle as possible. Then its a matter of riflemans cadence and NPOA once the 6 steps to firing the shot are are apart of your natural rythym. Thanks to all the shooters who showed up, you all were very attentive and a lot of you tried really hard to try what we were teaching. It takes time and practice so don't give up because were not giving up on you! A special thanks goes out to the 3 patriots who showed up for more action in the bitter cold wind and snow. You guys make us feel proud to be your fellow Americans O0 I'm looking forward to another Farmington shoot you guys and gals have alot of potential up there, lets make the next one even better. And remember practice does not make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect (even though were only looking for good enough)

Thanks again for allowing us to share our expertise with you I hope you all had fun, learned what were about and maybe even learned a thing or two about shooting.
"If the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you expect to find it any where else?"

SamD

Looks like you gentlemen gave them a valuable lesson in the qualities of a Rifleman along with some great skills.

I know the three that returned on Sunday, benefitted from the more personalized instruction and learned the character and quality of the people we have in the program.

The labors of the three have been increased but, "as the wild ass in the desert, they go forth to their work................"

Thank you for your labors gentlemen, they were not in vain

Sam

Garand69

Wisconsin sees those snow pics they are goona get jealous! ;D
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

TaosGlock

Another great New Mexico Appleseed in a new location!  :~
Way to get it done instructors and shooters! O0
This shoot shows what persistence does! :---
Most people don't realize the weather extremes we have in our state. Never a problem for New Mexico riflemen though!

And what a great range...I love those distant targets! ..:..
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose