News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Visiting Virgina DC area - locations?

Started by Sprocket, March 04, 2010, 08:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprocket

I'll be down in DC the weekend of the 13/14 and I've been to the Mall, etc. several times.

Anyone have a suggestion for a road trip?  I don't mind a couple hours drive to and from.  Starting in Alexandria

Thanks

jmdavis

What are you interested in?

The Smithsonian is always good. Then there's Mount Vernon and Arlington. A drive of an hour puts you at Manassas (Bull Run) Battlefield or in Fredricksburg, an hour and a half will get you to Monticello in Charlottesville. It's two hours or so to Yorktown. Richmond  has the Museum of the Confederacy, the Confederate White House and a number of Battlefields. It also has a good Museum of Art (The Virginia Museum).

Really it depends on what you want to see.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

crak

The Air/Space museum never gets old for me.   8)
Check your drama at the door.

Sprocket

I've been to A&S, American History, etc. - I've seen everything on the mall at least once  Kinda done with it.

Last time in Baltimore we went to Ft. McHenry - That was very cool

I'm near Arlington Nat'l Cem and have been there before

Anything on those lines - I may even go get a travel guide this time.

Any pay-to-play ranges?  The NRA museum in Fairfax was very cool too

Anything offbeat?  Any AS shoots nearby?  I could work as an IIT...

Bristol TN is too far a drive NASCAR...

jmdavis

Well since you ask there is an IBC in Yanceyville, NC. That trip is more like 5.5 hours each way.

I believe that the NRA range allows guest memberships but you will need to call them and get the details (I haven't shot there since 2003 or 2004).

Personally I avoid the whole DC Metro as much as possible. I would spend a good day walking Bull Run or even make a day trip to Gettysburg (~3 hours) or Antietam (~90 minutes).

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Old Dog

Don't know if they are still maintained or open to the public but there used to be a couple of old forts on the east side of the Potomac south of DC.  Ft. Foote and Ft. Washington.  Real forts, stone, cannons, old buildings, doors at the bottom for the troops to move from the fort to the gun emplacements closer to the river, or retreat back to the fort if the enemy overan the shore batteries.

Haven't been there since 1978 or 1979 but they were kind of cool then.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

doubleLL

I travel to DC  a lot for work.  One thing to remember is TRAFFIC. The traffic on the DC area is horrible, what takes an hour will take your multiple HOURS, plan ahead for the traffic.  If you are staying in the city area, use the metro.

The Cherry blossom festival starts March 27-April 11 you might see a few blossoms, but it is worth it to check out the trees.

Suggestions:

Pricey options:
1.)   Williamsburg is 2 hours and 40 minutes with light traffic- but is unique and a great place to pick up items for Appleseed shoots.  They even have black power classes.

2.)   Mount Vernon- Will be busy on the weekend, just an FYI, get there early.

3.)   Friends have told me the National Museum of the American Indian is really good - around the Mall area
http://www.nmai.si.edu/

Low or Free options:
1.)   National Cemetery- I pay my respects to friends lost overseas and always a very humble place.

2.)   Fort Washington National Park- 5.00 fee - Built in 1809- has a lot of history.
            http://www.nps.gov/fowa/index.htm
             Fort Washington has stood as silent sentry defending the Nation's Capital, for over 180 years. As technologies advanced so did Fort Washington. Fort         Washington is one of the few remaining Seacoast Forts in its original designs.

3.)   If  you drive the George Washington Memorial Parkway there are places you can visit. The National Park Service has a list of the places on the following    Website:     http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/index.htm

Personally, I love to walk the mall area at night. Everything is quiet and serene. The monuments are all lit and usually there is security out- just be careful.

Have a fun and safe trip,
doubleLL
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10