News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa November 3-4th AAR !!!

Started by cannonman61, November 04, 2007, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonman61

Gentlemen,

I have just finished putting away all the equipment, cleaning the firearms and the cannon and although I only made it up for one day, I must say it was a real blast!!!

Cold weather camping. Good friends, Shrub and so many other things made this a great event.

I am happy to report that I made rifleman during a regular AQT none of this rapid fire stuff I had to do before. PLUS, in another Appleseed first, I did it in period clothing dressed as an 18th century militiaman. (Dang the garters cut into your leg in sitting and kneeling!!!)

As always, Grin, SoM and The Guy put on a class event. They even had a lunch onsite this time. We also had great assitance from Talon and Flathead and the shoot on saturday went very well from my view as a participant this time rather ten the site promoter as I was at Hinesville.

Kudos to the guy on Grins line who went out the night before and bought a rife to come. He bought a 30/06 Savage bolt gun and did his level best to learn and improve while being beat to death by a gun he had never fired before. If he perservers he will master it and get his Rifleman rating!

I have pictues and will download them later when the camera interface cord can be located.

Thanks to all involved and thank you for letting our 2nd Company Georgia Artillery be a part of your history lessons to the masses. We really appreciate the new venue this program provides. I think we may have awakened another 40 or 50 previously sleepy Americans this weekend!! That's what it's all about!

Cannonman61

Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

cannonman61

A few pictures, 3 at a time due to size restrictions.

I hope they get through as the size restriction is a problem.

cannonman61

A couple more pictures.

Muddogg

Awesome! Looks like everyone had a fun time, sure wish I could have made it!
-The Muddogg

militiaman 1741

I second the kudos's from Cannonman61.

Great time around the campfire; meeting new friends, renewing old acquaintances, getting an opportunity to share living history.

Look forward to seeing you all again at the Hinesville Appleseed in March.
Imagine them taking from a man what he has honestly earned !  It's theft disguised as government !

Grin Reaper

At lunchtime on Friday, SoM got a call from the one, the only, The Guy - he would be joining us in Toccoa after all.  Huzzah!x3
But at 8:22pm I got a call from Mightymouse.  He was about 2 hours from Toccoa, but was having to turn back for home due to a family emergency.  I hope this has turned out okay for him, and I guess I'll have to wait to meet him face to face.

SoM, Talon, The Guy, the GA 2nd Artillery, and several Appleseeders took advantage of the free on-site camping, which was set up in our host range's (regretably) under-utilized skeet range.

Saturday
A chilly morning greeted 44 Appleseeders (32 had pre-registered) in Toccoa this weekend, some of whom had driven from TN and southern GA. The still-frosty grass in the parking are gave us some exciting tire-squealing noises, and we all wondered which would reach us first: the sun's warm rays creeping over the surrounding hills, or the stink from the nearby chicken-processing plant. 
We had several father-son and at least one granddad-grandson teams present, but since The Guy's presence had not been made prior knowledge, there were no ladies present.  (Footnote - unlike our last few events here, many of the shooters were from nearby towns.)
Also, I have no pics to post because I left my camera at my niece's home on Hallowe'en.

As shoot boss, the responsibility to introduce the Rifleman's Heritage to this group fell to me.  To be honest, it didn't sound (to me) as smooth as the speech I'd given in Hinesville a few weeks ago, but everyone was kind enough not to laugh & point. 

Afterwards, our friends from the 2nd Georgia Artillery, accompanied by IiT Talon, demonstrated the nuances of loading and firing their muzzleloaders to a crowd of interested onlookers.  Then it was time to charge the firehose that is Appleseed and begin to get our shooters to drink from it.

I met a fellow zombie-hunter, Politenessman (whose name suits him perfectly) from the Zombie Squad forum introduced himself.  He further complimented me on the accuracy of the Revolutionary War history talk I'd stumbled through that morning.  He remarked that it matched the information he'd learned in as a young lad history class - in Great Britain.  Now that's the kind of feedback you never expect, but are glad to get.  I also met several others who I knew from the on-line personas on various forums, and was glad to finally get to put a face with the name.

Our own Cannonman61 shot a very respectable 221 on the QDAQT, fulfilling the prediction he made for me in Hinesville - "I'll practice until I can make it next time."
Young Eli, who had never fired a modern rifle until the Hinesville Appleseed, shot some very impressive groups, as well.
One of the shooters had brought a new-looking scoped Savage bolt-action .30-06.  Turns out it was new-looking for a reason: he'd bought it about 9pm the previous night!  Over the course of the day, this engineering student from GA Tech shrank his groups by an impressive factor.

Lunch was handled by our own often-reading/seldom-posting Alex4922 and his son, who provided real Rifleman-food (hot dogs and hamburgers), eaten in real Rifleman-fashion (i.e., sitting on the ground).  Then it was back to 4-minute squares, practice AQT's, a few QDAQT's, and the endless comments from Appleseeders about how they thought that 50 seconds for Stage 2 was wayyyy too much time  ;D.
Dustin (Nephew#1) and his AR15 made a big impression on The Guy & Flathead; hope to get him out to the range again soon.

After the day's closing comments, Cannonman, Militiaman1741, and Eli demonstrated the loading and firing of 'Grendel', the same cannon they'd allowed us to fire at Hinesville.  Nothing makes a crowd happier than a big bang with a lot of white smoke! 

As the sun set, we adjourned to the all-you-can-eat buffet at Quincy's, where The Guy & I tried our best to get thrown out, as we had at the Golden Kitten Café earlier this year (footnote - we didn't quite make our goal.).

Sunday
What's up with this wind?  The only time the wind blows in GA is during a hurricane!   In any event, we had some impressive gusts all day.  Ah, well, it's just more free training for the shooters joining Son of Martha on the 300yard range today.  We even had some fellows with .22's shooing an Advanced AQT at the 100 yard range, one of whom shot Rifleman & a few others turned in impressive scores.

On a sad note, one of our shooters had accidentally left his Garand on the range overnight, and it wasn't there when he returned in the morning.  I contacted the club president to advise him of the occurrence, and advised the shooter to make a report at the sheriff's dept., so if the rifle turned up at a pawn shop he could get it back.

Campers at the range had an abrupt awakening, the result of 4 club members who had disregarded the club's policy and were sighting in 2 scoped (and very loud) rifles on the 300 yd range at 0800.

We had 28 shooters pre-registered for Sunday.  The total head-count was 35 Appleseeders, including 3 shooters who had not been present Saturday (one of whom was the Savage-shooter's younger brother, as promised).  I'd planned on taking the kid brother aside and reviewing the Safety Rules with him, but his (obviously proud) big-bro explained that the young fellow had studied the Appleseed Primer's list of safety rules on the drive to Toccoa.  At this, the young man proceeded to recite the 4 Safety Rules, practically ver batim!

Due to the club's regs, we were unable to start the shooting until noon, but that doesn't mean our Appleseeders weren't able to resume drinking from the firehose.  SoM delivered a well-thought-out and comprehensive talk on come-ups, the cone of fire, trajectory, and a great review of IMC. Then The Guy gave this lucky crowd his Dangerous Old Men speech - it was just as good as the first time I heard it.
Once the shooting started at noon, several shooters on my line were plagued with mechanical failures, primarily loose scope rings and mounts, as well as a few loose rear sights.  After these problems were remedied (or in some cases bypassed through the judicious use of some back-up LTR's), we got to shooting in earnest.  We incorporated reviewing the previous day's information for the benefit of the new shooters.

The young man and his mostly-new Savage .30-06 did an admirable job of keeping up with the semi-autos, and turned in some darned respectable groups and scores.  By the end of the day, he was able to work that bolt a rapidly as I've ever been able to use my Enfield's!  His buddy George proved that an AK can be forced to shoot 4moa, but only if the shooter is following the 6 Steps.
2 more shooters scored Rifleman on our line Sunday afternoon - Don & Mr. Fox.  Good job!

Due to a communications error, I failed to recognize young Nick's Rifleman score, a score made even more impressive since he shot it on the Advanced AQT with a bolt-action!
Nick, if you're out there, I owe you a Rifleman's patch and you can take a free swing at me with the clown-bat.

The marksmanship activity forms that satisfy one of the CMP's requirements to purchase from them were a big hit.  I must've signed at least 25 of them this weekend.  T-shirts arrived from RWVA Mission Control with plenty of time to spare (about 20 hours!), and were distributed to the shooters at the close of the day, but only after a thorough explanation of the 7th Step by The Guy.
Kudos to our IiT's (Talon, Flathead, and Bladerunner), and to Son of Martha and The Guy for making this event a success!

Attendees Sat.-- 44
Attendees Sun. - 35
Overall, 47 souls took part in the Heritage, producing 4 Riflemen !!! 

I'm sure I'll have more to post later.
Grin
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB

1moreround

this was my first appleseed,it will not be my last , we are looking foward to it the next time, I came with a friend and my fourteen year old son. me and my son have shot from bench with scoped rifles for years,its whole differnt world with an iron sight cetme and sks in the dirt with fellow patriots, my instructor on saturday was son of martha a man who has forgot more about rifleman shooting then i ever hope to know, for all of your time thank you, My son has not quit talking about it and normaly he only takes about the latest video game, now he wants to go to the range to practice what we learned kudos to all the instrutors for without their sacrefices this would not be possable thank you all for the good time will see all soon.
also i recommend camping whenever possible at these events shooting is only a small part of the whole package ;D

Flathead

What a great week end of Appleseeding!! Even though I din't fire a single shot at the event ( I was an instructor in training) there was a great bunch of people there. A little cold in the mornings but warmed up quite nicely as the day progressed, it was to bad cannonman had to depart on saturday (taking the rifleman patch and running!!!) Working with The Guy was great he has his own way of getting the point across to the attendees and most of them listen. Had several shooters get close to the rifleman score but not there yet and 2 were shooting CETME styled rifles! One shooter towards the end of day 2 shot a 3 round group during NPOA drills (with eyes closed) of less than an inch! @ students with ak-47's were wringing out what they could get, and then a little more with a little work they should be riflemen soon.
The worst part of all of this was it ended way to soon!! The trudging up and down the hill on Friday to set up then saturday and sunday wore me out it only seemed like a 300 foot difference in elevation from top to bottom (it  ight not have been that much just seemed like it) and before we knew it The Guy was off ...headed for Texas. Can't wait until the next one

Son of Martha

All Appleseeds are good, but the ones I go to are best.... ;D

Why?

Because I get to spend a weekend with some of the best people I know.

Because I get to do something to pass on the tradition.

Because I have the honor and the opportunity to influence the infinitely convoluted trajectory of a person's life in a positive manner.

Because I get to go camping (usually).

Because I can look at the attendees and wonder, "Is this the one who is going to step up and help preserve Liberty for my children?"

An Appleseed is a spiderweb of possibilities.  Opportunities, pitfalls, hard work and sweat, fellowship with the friends and neighbors you haven't met yet...

Learning about your history, and why you can speak your mind and fire your rifle without fear.  Learning some technical concepts you might not have noticed about marksmanship, as opposed to merely shooting.

My God (and I use this in a most reverent sense), we live in a great country.  It is our responsibility to ensure that our children have the same experience.

Good job to the attendees who experienced a frosty morning and sweaty afternoon, blowing red clay dust, and drill after drill without complaint.  A HUGE thanks to the 2nd Georgia Artillery for their above and beyond efforts.  You guys add your own "flavor" to Georgia events, keep it up and we will have to enlarge the parking lots.  Thanks and special recognition to all the Dads who brought a young'un (Appleseedling?) to the event.  You have heard it many times, but this time I'm saying it--they are our future, and my children will need help.  Thanks to the GMSA, who graciously allowed the use of the facilities for the FOURTH GEORGIA APPLESEED.

A well run event Grin.  Only complaint I have is I didn't get to spend as much time with the IITs as I wanted--duty called.

Tired, sore, windburned.  When can we do it again?  Oh yeah:

Hinesville, GA : http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1206.0

or Toccoa, GA : http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1208.0

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Ready

Wow!

This was my first Appleseed, but not my last.  I was a little apprehensive going to something new like this, but my fears were quickly thrown over my shoulder when I started meeting the folks that were camping on Friday night.  Yes, it was a tad cold that night, but it was still camping and you can't beat that.

The next morning we got started with a very detailed history lesson and a show of Revolutionary War re-enactors.  I learned more about the Revolutionary War than I had in all of my years in school.  Very well done.

We spent the day learning about shooting, from sight picture to proper breathing and follow through.  I had some minor issues with my 10/22 and was quickly given a loaner by Son of Martha.  With as many people there, I actually felt like I had individual instruction and learned more than I thought I would.  By the end of the day my groups were getting tighter and I felt good about how I was shooting.  It was great seeing the mixed ages from young to old and the varied rifles that were all there.  Yet they were there with one thing in common.

Side note: If you get a chance to have dinner with the instructors - get ready to laugh, they have some great stories.

Sunday was more of the same and by the time we had to shut it down my scores were going up.  I learned enough to practice what I was taught and dry firing in the basement will give me much of what I need to get my groups tighter.

I would like to say thank you to Grin Reaper, The Guy and Son of Martha (along with the Instructors in Training) for all they taught me.  They are taking time out of their lives to pass on a tradition that is hundreds of years old.  Our country is going down hill and our freedoms are being taken away from us as we go about our lives.  This is one way to wake people up to what is happening and to have a great time doing it.  I also would like to thank Fred for keeping this alive and giving us the opportunity to learn what we did.

I know that it has been said many times, but there is noting better than spending a day learning to shoot with like-minded people and making new friends.  I hope to see you all at the next shoot, if not sooner.

I am already looking forward to the next one in March of 2008.

Again, thank you for the great weekend.

Ready

alex4922

Thanks to all the guys comming to the Toccoa Appleseed! You are truly the real hope for the future of America. I know that you will pass along your experience and improved marksmanship skills on to your friends. I've watched Grin and SoM become more and more involved with the program and it seems that their enthusiasm grows stronger no matter how much time they put in.

I hope that you who suffered through a very mediocre lunch will forgive me. I had not cooked for so many people before, so like so many things involving Appleseed it was a learning experience. I'll do better next time! How does good homemade Chilli sound?

Special thanks to The Guy, my son Matt was very happy with the things he learned at Toccoa and appreciates Guys help.

See Y'all next time...Keep your powder dry.

ML...Alex 
"A free society requires order, and order depends on restraint: yet it seems that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.'

Ready

What do you mean medocure lunch?  That was one of the best hamburgers I had had in a long time.  It was very much appreciated.  Thank you for providing it for us.

Ready

alex4922

Thanks Ready!  I appreciate that.

ML...Alex
"A free society requires order, and order depends on restraint: yet it seems that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.'

markopolo311

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I don't remember the last time I had such a great weekend, and spending it with some top notch Americans made it that much better. Me and my friend have all ready made plans to come back in March and get us a couple of rifleman patches, and bring a few friends along with us.

Also, the burgers were delicious.  :D

rdhood

Quote from: markopolo311 on November 07, 2007, 04:28:45 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I don't remember the last time I had such a great weekend, and spending it with some top notch Americans made it that much better. Me and my friend have all ready made plans to come back in March and get us a couple of rifleman patches, and bring a few friends along with us.

Also, the burgers were delicious.  :D

Ditto about the coming back in March for a rifleman patch.   Lets just say that the shooting I do between now and then will have a purpose... practice shooting the AQT every Thursday evening between now and March. The first thing I need, though, is some of those Tech Sights...

I was only there for Saturday (and brought my son) , but thoroughly enjoyed it. I would say that we were barely equipped for the experienced (a marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22... factory iron sights.. neither one sighted in very well).   I did not hit a single target on the opening "lets see where we are" test. I shot almost ~110  by the time I left.

What I left with is this:  I KNOW what I need to do to get better. I KNOW what I need to do at the range to make my range time more effective. I KNOW proper shooting technique. Now it is practice, practice practice.....

It is the best money I have spent so far in my short experience with guns.

jpf

Just a short note to say how much I enjoyed my first appleseed.
First I want to thank everyone who is putting all the effort into this project it must be a labor of love, god bless y'all.
And I want to give Talon extra thanks for scoring my RIFLEMAN aqt.
It was hard getting there, I would start out strong then get tired and run out of gas on the later stages. The last aqt was the magic one with an extra surge of energy I was able to make the rifleman score.
I think the narrative about the dangerous old gray hair men given by the Guy was my inspiration.
Both my son on Saturday and my son in law on Sunday were plagued with mechanical problems that in both cases kept them from completing the course. But I think they will be back at the next appleseed in Toccoa with their equipment squared away and ready to do better.
Again, thanks to all involved with the program. Hope to see y'all at the next appleseed.

Jmark

Another first time Appleseeder here! I will definitely be back for the March shoot and hopefully shoot a rifleman's score. For those of you who were there I was the one who's ammo didn't show up from the CMP, FedEx still claims they can't find my house.  ::)

I guess I need to join up at that range, being only about 10 minutes from the house. It's pretty sad that I had never been before the shoot. Once again thanks to all of the instructors for putting on a great event.

Justin

Son of Martha

Joining the range is a good idea--we need to support local places to shoot, especially to 300 yards.  Range is not used very often, lots like having your own private range.  PM me if you need info.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Buzzstrike

Damn sounds like I missed a good Appleseed.

I really wish I could have been there.

Hope to see you all in May (iirc)

Buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Jmark

I almost forgot. I don't think anyone mentioned Marine 1 flying almost directly over did they? I know that The Guy's group was all waiving.  ;D

Grin Reaper

QuoteI don't think anyone mentioned Marine 1 flying almost directly over did they?
And flying mighty low, at that!

WECSOG

wow!  I've been 150+ MPH down the backstretch at Road Atlanta in a Panoz GTA and I don't think had as much fun as I did this past weekend, even though I "hit the wall" Sunday afternoon during shooting.  I think its more rewarding when you have to do the work yourself....

Regardless, I had a great time at the Toccoa Appleseed. My grandfather was a jumpmaster for the 82nd Airborne and my great uncle was 101st Airborne, 506th, A company, both during WWII so I have some historical connections to the area and alot to live up to!!  I'm still a cook, but a much more enlightened cook after the event and a determination to make them proud. ;)

It was fun putting faces with the handles here on the board.  The camping was cold as balls and I was ill prepared as this south georgia boy turned city slicker got a wake up call back to his roots.  I look forward to doing it all again.

I'd like to thank Grin and Talon, my instructors, for such a fun yet disciplined time on the firing line.

If I could go without sleep I think myself and The Guy would still be engaged in a healthy political conversation by the camp fire....err....shall I say coals by the time we finished.  I have to admit that even at 2am, The Guy is still passionate about NPOA as he is on the firing line!!!  Not to mention his speeches about the Rev. War.

My only piece of advice to the instructors would be that you hammer the 6 steps into our heads over and over and over and over and over and over again, moreso than you did.  Perhaps a drill that walks the line through the six steps may be beneficial.  Somewhat like the eyes closed NPOA drill.... just a thought.

For anyone who hasn't gone to an appleseed, follow their list of "what to bring" as it made my weekend that much more of a learning experience.

Thanks to CannonMan for sharing some of his single malt with a guy he had just met and for bringing the 3 pounder for display.  I look forward to meeting you again in March.

Hat's off to Ready for giving me a hand while cleaning my 10/22..

I really didn't think I would ever find myself around a campfire with so many fellas who thought about freedom and liberty as much as I did.

Grin, I think I failed to get one of the signed CMP slips from you.  How do I go about getting one of those? 

BTW, the hamburgers were excellent!!!

Until Hinesville in March '08.....

Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice. - John Adams

Grin Reaper

QuoteGrin, I think I failed to get one of the signed CMP slips from you.  How do I go about getting one of those? 
Check your PM's.
And thanks.

BoltGuy

Hello everyone,

This was my first Appleseed but I doubt it will be my last.

Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly.  The Guy was an "interesting" but much appreciated instructor.  I enjoyed Grin's speech regardless of how bad he says it was. 

Oh and Grin, this is Nick, and I'll pick up that patch in March.  Hopefully I'll be back with a CMP Garand next time.

Thanks to all of the instructors who helped make this event happen.

Grin Reaper

The Guy

Interesting?  Eh?

LOL!

Thanks.

And the burgers and else was just dandy.

When SoM said that there were 30+ shooters, I switched my plans and headed for GA first.  It wasn't too hard a decision, I had been mulling the possiblity for a while, so when the excuse came in.....

Like always, I had a great time.

I wonder if the SS, er, Secret Service, knew what they were flying over......?

The shooters were fine, great examples of Persiverance and Dedication.  It was nice to get to work with the IIT's as well, Talon, Flathead and BladeRunner.  And who could forget SoM and Grin.

How we didn't get kicked out of a restarant this year is beyond me, but I bet those waitresses will never forget the night Gin and Guy made an appearance.....

And, like usual, I had a hard time leaving, chatting with SoM untill at least 2200, with a 15+ hour drive looking at me in my bleary eyes.  It is just so dang hard to leave behind a good conversation with good folks, right Well Done?

I hope I can make it to GA to see the results of dry fire and live practice these soon to be Riflemen are going to be doing all winter.

Right?

Better be.

Or no more Mr. Nice Guy!

Guy

ps, the chickens were worse last time....yech!

Bladerunner33

::)Next time i collect ALL CAMERA'S before i SHOOT ANY MORE BLACK-POWDER!!

cannonman61

;D ;D ;D

Heh, heh, heh,

Just remember, follow through, and maybe some ball and dummy for that flinch you've developed!  ::)

Seriously Anthony, I will have all next week off as it is Thanksgiving holiday. If you want to shoot BP with noone around with a camera, just call me and we will go to the range with some of my toys.

CM61

Junior Birdman

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

cannonman61

Even Better!

If Bladerunner makes it to Ft. Morris this weekend for the "Come and Take it" event and learns the drill, I'll let him touch off the 6pounder a time or two!!!  A half pound of BP per shot can really rock your world. Remember, I only use 3 oz in the 3 pounder. ::)

Heh, heh, heh.  I'm staring to sound like SoM! :D

CM61