News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any Appleseed events near Houston???

Started by ABWELCH, December 05, 2008, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABWELCH

Hi all I am really excited to have heard about this organization and would love to attend a event, but there are currently only events in far west texas (10+ hour drive) at this point. Is anyone working on any in the east texas/ houston areas? I look forward to meeting yall and having fun learning to shoot better.

Aaron

Scout

Hey Aaron, I am going to post the events for Texas today and add to it this week as I go along. We are having an APpleseed this weekend in Davilla Texas, two hours from Houston. We would love to see you here. :)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

ABWELCH

I would love to be there. Gonna be some great weather. I unfortunately have to take care of my mom-n-law. She is having her chemo treatment this week and will be under the weather for a while. I look forward to meeting all yall.

Aaron

(Sim) Σμ

Hey AB.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

There are a number of us in the Houston area that go to the Davilla appleseeds.  Depending on where you live in the Houston area, it's about a 2.5 hour drive.  For some reason, the drive seems really short when coming home.  It may be the amount of information my wee brain is processing on the way. 

Let us know if you have any questions and we hope to see you there.  It is more than worth it.

ABWELCH

Hey sim glad to hear that there are a large number of seeders in Houston area. I have been trying to talk my friend with property into hosting an event. Been working as many angles as I can. It would be great to get a range down here. I have been checking the schedule daily to find the next event in devilla. I hope there is one soon. I am dieing to go. anyhow thanks for the nice words about mom-n-law. she is a trooper and will pull through fine. I look forward to meeting all yall.

Aaron

Scout

Below are the Davilla Texas dates and we will continue to add dates and locations this week. :)

January 10-11
February Boot Camp and Appleseed at end 22-March 1st
March 14-15
April 18-19
May 16-17
June 6-7
July 4-5
August 15-16
September 12-13
October 10-11
November Boot Camp and Appleseed 8-15
December 26-27
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

(Sim) Σμ

Oh man, another boot camp in February.  I wanna go. 

If it is *at all* possible to go to a boot camp, do it!  I've still got a lot of work to make Scout proud, but I learned more in the boot camp than I could have imagined.  A lot of that has to do with the dedication of people like Scout, Sir Not Appearing in This Film, Didactic . . . I have to stop as I can't name everyone, including the other guys who were along side me.  If you can't, getting to as many appleseeds as possible is the way to go. 

SamD

Scout,
I took the liberty of inviting Alex Jones to come on down to Davilla for a shoot >:D

Think you can handle them. Jones says he can "shoot he cap off a Tabasco bottle at 200 yards" from standing.
You ready for him?

Seriously do not be surprised if he shows up.

Sam

thisismyboomstick

Quote from: SamD on December 09, 2008, 12:44:59 AM
Scout,
I took the liberty of inviting Alex Jones to come on down to Davilla for a shoot >:D

Think you can handle them. Jones says he can "shoot he cap off a Tabasco bottle at 200 yards" from standing.
You ready for him?

Sam

I've emailed him Appleseed info before hoping he would possibly talk about it on the air. Not sure if he even saw it.

Do you happen to know which one he would attend?

I'd have to make sure I made it to that one.

ABWELCH

Great to see the schedule scout!! I look forward to meeting yall. Now I need to check my vacation days at work.  ;D  I am so excited!!!

Aaron

Scout

Quote from: SamD on December 09, 2008, 12:44:59 AM
Scout,

You ready for him?

Sam

Hey Sam, I heard that boast. I wonder if he would be interested in the Texas Challenge? Tell him we have a place for him any time he is willing to show up ;) I will email him a list of dates for Davilla and an invitation.
BattleRoadUSA.com

Banana Man

Just found about about the Appleseed Project from The Survival Podcast. Are there any 2010 bootcamps and events around Houston, Austin, or Dallas?

As a funny side note. I emailed one of the directors of the gun range I got to, PSC Shooting Club, and his response was:

PSC is a gun range.
You might try these guys:
   http://www.xyz.com/ (seed site, address removed)
"If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"
-Unknown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

spitstickler

Hey Grey Ghost, Welcome!

Funny you found out about Appleseed from the Survival Podcast. I found out about the Survival Podcast at an Appleseed last fall. There are definitely some like minded individuals in these two groups.

Final details are being hammered out on the Texas schedule for the year. Weekend Appleseeds close to you would be College Station, Davilla, Austin, and Corpus. As far as I know there is nothing close to Houston (yet!)  

The week long Riflemens Boot Camps (RBCs) are typically at Davilla. Rumor has it that there will be at least one, maybe two this spring sometime. Keep checking the schedule and info should be up there soon.

Grab a friend, relative, co-worker, or complete stranger and make it out to one. :D You won't be disappointed. The events are worth the drive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Banana Man

Very cool! I actually have at least 5 friends that want to participate too.

Do the events ever have sponsors? I have two other friends that might be interested especially if there was something to take place in the Houston area. One friend owns a large gun store the other is a manufacturer and class 3 dealer.
-Unknown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

Scout

Hey Guys,

Ghost, Alonso1 and I have a board presentation tonight in Houston/Crosby for a range there. It is a newly relocated range and the owners have indicated to me their possible consideration of Appleseed as a range partner. We will hopefully get an answer by tonight/tomorrow and best possible scenario get them to ok an APril 19th event and get it on the books.

Houston has ten million folks within 15 minutes of this range. We have an endless barrell of fish right there for the taking so we are really happy about this opportunity. But, even if we do not get it. Appleseed is a growing changing beast and although I contacted every single range in the Harris/Brazoria/Galveston counties, I know we will end up with a range there soon. So all of you Houston folks, ask your range WHY they do not host an APpleseed event?

Until then Ghost, here are the locations/dates we have.

For Davilla Texas, two hours from Houston, Texas IITs please note the two RBCs and Two IBCs and get to one or both of them(you too Ghost);

Feb 27-28
Boot Camp starts March 14
Mar 20-21 end of Boot Camp Appleseed
Apr 17-18
May 22-23
Jun 19-20
Jul 24-25
Aug 21-22
Sep 18-19
Oct 23-24
Boot Camp starts November 14
Nov 20-21 End of Boot Camp Appleseed
Dec 18-19

March Boot Camp is March 14-21
November Boot Camp is November 14-21

Davilla IBCs are April 10-12 and September 11-13

BattleRoadUSA.com

Scout

A note about the Survival Podcast, Jack Spirko has contacted me and we will be doing guest hosts on each others shows sometime in the next month. So we will get the benefit of his 10-15 thousand listeners.

Also,talking about the radio show, Pokerface, a Freedom and Liberty band will be on The Rifleman Radio Show on Feb. 16th. We will talk about what they have been doing to promote safeguarding America's fredoms and liberties and listen to some of their music. They contacted the radio show and they are also willing to do a concert gig for the April 19th event in PA, SO be sure and listen tonight and next week too.

www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio 7:00pm central 
BattleRoadUSA.com

Banana Man

Quote from: Scout on February 09, 2010, 09:52:05 AM
(you too Ghost);

I am beating up my group right now to get them to the March RBC. They are whining, but I will probably be there with or without them.

Quote from: Scout on February 09, 2010, 10:22:33 AM
A note about the Survival Podcast, Jack Spirko has contacted me and we will be doing guest hosts on each others shows sometime in the next month. So we will get the benefit of his 10-15 thousand listeners.

Very cool! Appleseed will hopefully benefit from the exposure. He mentioned it briefly in one or two episodes and I decided to look into it.
-Unknown

- Thomas Jefferson

RoughEdge

Hey Scout, any news on getting the Crosby range to host an Appleseed?  I'm fairly certain it's the private range I'm a member of.

alonso1

I live in Houston and there certainly are Appleseed shoots in the area.

Davilla is 2.5 hours away, Austin 2.5, College Station is 1.5 hours, Corpus Christi is about 5 hours and Sherburne Louisiana is 4.5 hours away.

As Scout stated, we are working on a range in Crosby, right in our own backyard, but don't wait for that.  Bite the bullet! jump in your vehicle, enjoy the drive and let your Appleseed journey began :) 

Scout

Quote from: alonso1 on March 05, 2010, 05:47:16 PM
As Scout stated, we are working on a range in Crosby, right in our own backyard, but don't wait for that.  Bite the bullet! jump in your vehicle, enjoy the drive and let your Appleseed journey began :) 

As usual, Mark is right on the spot. Don't wait for the Houston location to get approved, though we are working on it as fast as we can, come on out and give the first and longest running DAR in the nation a visit and get your actual distance instruction and qualification done while you are here.

BattleRoadUSA.com

RoughEdge

I'm planning on attending at least April 17 of the College Station Appleseed.  I will probably be bringing a few of my friends, and maybe my wife if work permits her to go.

My main concerns are with sling use.  I am just not interested in learning to use a loop sling with an AR15.  More or less immobilizing the support (left) hand greatly hampers the running of any AR15 pattern rifle. 

I plan to shoot an S&W M&P .22lr and a 20" 5.56 AR, both running dot sights.  I'll bring a Busy Carbon 15 and possible another AR as backup for giggles.

I have zero interest in owning a 10/22.  I don't like ruger as a company, and I don't like semi-auto's that require one to constantly release their hold on the rifle with their dominate (right) hand to use the controls.  That manual of arms just isn't my cup of tea.

I like running my rifles like I run my handguns, right hand to hold it, pull the trigger, and drop the mag, left hand to rack the bolt/slide and change magazines.

So, to get back to my concern, I do not want to learn any sling method that requires me to tie up my support (left) hand.  I still plan to attend, but I'm wondering if this is that big a deal, or if I am reading too much into this.

spitstickler

Hey RoughEdge,

Glad to hear that you are planning on coming out to College Station. ..And with friends and family in tow!!!

At most Appleseeds you will see a wide variety of experience and equipment on the line. The instruction is meant to be as beneficial to everyone that attends regardless of what rifle they brought or how much time they've had behind it. Our goal and the methods we teach apply to any rifle, so if you every found yourself without an AR, but happened across another type of rifle, you could pick it up and and shoot at a 4 moa standard.

We make suggestions on rifles and equipment, not because we necessarily think they are the best, but we know they work well for what we're teaching with the least amount of frustration for the student. Your M&P .22 & AR will work fine for the event.

As far as the sling goes, no one can make you learn something that you have no interest in doing. However, having a sling is recommended as sling usage is part of the instruction throughout the entire weekend. You will definitely hear about hasty-hasty, hasty, and the loop sling a lot. I'd guess about 95% of the folks who attend will have them set up with some type of sling (US GI Web Sling is the cheapest and most widely used) If someone doesn't have one when they show up, they are typically looking around to see if their neighbor on the line has an extra about half way through the first day. Not because we're enforcing a sling rule, but they start to see how it's helping other folks out for the courses of fire we go through.

Regardless of anything else, it's often said that most important thing you can bring to an Appleseed is an open mind and a willingness to learn something new. I encourage you to give it a solid two-day try. I you like it, or at least part of it, you can take that knowledge and build on it. If you don't care for it, then you know you gave it an honest effort and it just wasn't your cup of tea.

The Appleseed way is not the only way to operate a rifle, but it just flat out works for the type of shooting we do.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

phil_in_cs

Quote from: RoughEdge on March 08, 2010, 03:11:36 PM
I'm planning on attending at least April 17 of the College Station Appleseed.  I will probably be bringing a few of my friends, and maybe my wife if work permits her to go.

I will see you there - bringing a few friends of my own.