News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona Ca Feb 6-7 2010 AAR

Started by asminuteman, February 08, 2010, 08:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

SavageShootr

Thanks for the report, Ken.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Riflemen of the weekend, Jim and Chris.

Thanks ChrisB for grabbing a bucket and an orange hat.  O0  Welcome aboard.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Mr22Calgal

AQTMonster was fatigued?  Madison was tired?  That's why she wanted to shoot just one more AQT after the last redcoat.  Besides I thought all fatigue problems were addressed by Appleseed massage therapy!

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
- Charles Austin Beard

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

Freeman

We really have to wait until April for another one?  :(
Freeman
n.
1. A person not in slavery or serfdom.
2. One who possesses the rights or privileges of a citizen.

"Liberty is not a means to a political end. It is itself the highest political end." – Lord Acton

Appleseed: The only program endorsed by the Founding Fathers and GSG9.

Grandson of Liberty

Congrats Chris!   ^:)^

I'll see you on the trail.  O0
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

Rocket Man

Two new Riflemen, one new Orange Hat?  Job well done!  Chris, welcome aboard!

Quote from: Freeman on February 08, 2010, 10:58:59 PM
We really have to wait until April for another one?  :(

If Corona is your only choice, yes, but there are several other SoCal events before then -- Piru on Feb 20-21, Escondido and Piru on March 20-21, and others further north (Fresno, Red Bluff, Castro Valley, etc.).  Spread the word.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

LayloPro

Heh! We have some true comediennes in this group, huh?? ~~:) ;)

Well, this one was.....different.....

It was the first one in the rain I've dealt with at this venue, and while nothing new, did lend some interesting items to the "need to bring" list.....

Another was, in the last 2 yrs, this was the -smallest- turnout we've ever had here @ Corona....6 on Sat, & 7 on Sunday......usually, we have 30 - 45 folks running around, trying to figure out where they want to shoot....

This was also the highest improvement from baseline group we've ever had out here, and that was awesome!!

So while it was small, and relatively "overstaffed" (Not really, but more on that in a sec), it was an ideal training environment, for both shooters & Instructors.

SoCalSerf was able to come out for both days, and it is always such a pleasure to work with him.....He is one of the best I've seen at taking any level of shooter, and massaging them gently & positively into doing what needs to be done to make them into better shooters. Always an awesome job!
Thanks, brah!

We also had our newest redhats (husband/wife team) of Scavenger & Recruiter.....While they still have some trepidation to being a SBiT, this shoot was the perfect "small club" environment for them to try out some of the "Shoot Boss stuff", and see that they really will excel at it.....They are gonna be GREAT!!

We had 22calgal out both days, handling our admin duties flawlessly, and on Sunday being joined by her husband, Mr22calgal. They were able to trade the LB duties and such between them, and pulled it all off effortlessly....

On Saturday, SFarmer was able to make it out, and we had him continue his IIT path....he will be an excellent addition to the team here as he learns more and more....and he is -willing-!!

On our shooting side, we had 6 folks that were able to make it thru all the flooded bridges, closed roads, flooded "poo generator pastures", and arrive sometime between 8:45 - 10 am.....the weather had been running hard all night, and we had several "no-shows".....not a problem, we 'seed....rain or shine....

However, since it was still raining pretty hard when the last of the 6 folks showed up, we commandeered (well, they let us use it) the "saloon" of the SASS bunch who had been "rained out".....kinda unusual doing the check in at the batwings, and presiding as the barkeep, but it added  some 'lightness' to our day....by the time we had reached the point where we could either begin training, or go shoot a redcoat, it stopped raining....

Quick!! Out to the bays!! Prep 13!! :~

Out of 6 shooters, we had -1- who qualified @ 100 yds, and 1 got the head shot........oh, my....this could be ugly......but hey!! Room for improvement!!

Chris C & Jessica were working a pair of boltie M44's, and persisted all weekend long with them.....Jessica was somewhat unamiliar with hers at the beginning, but came thru with flying colors as the weekend progressed. She even won our OREO cookie NPOA drill!!

Jim had been to our Sept, '09 AS here, and cruised up to see if he could "walk on"....line wasn't too crowded, so we said "sure!!" He had Tech Sights now on his 10-22, and seemed to be seeing some real improvement....

The brothers Jorge & Carlos had come out as well, and while Carlos was a Sat only, he showed some -outstanding- improvement in grouping.....every Instructor was amazed at his group improvement, and his older brother Jorge, was no slouch either......
There was a minute bit of competition between them, particularly as Carlos kept improving, but they were very humorous as they kept up their bantering under the rain cover.....

And Chris B. had returned after Dec' 09 AS, where it had rained as well.....he had just gotten his new LTR the day before, popped on the Tech Sights, and come running to Corona. And discovered why we recommend "Lock-Tite" on the screws.....equipment battle, persist, shoot, equipment battle.....

We were able to make it to lunch in good order, and actually got everything done in one day that we were supposed to......Hmmm, how to get your 'Seed to run on schedule? Make 'em small, fast, and light.......pulling along 6 is so easy compared to hauling along 35...... @)

As we struck the last E-Z-Up to pack, the sky unloaded on us, so needless to say, benediction then was really short & to the point.....an instructors meal @ Bob's (where 22calgal was caught shamelessly promoting to a guy who will -never- get a good cheek weld to -any- kind of rifle), and we went home for our bath & sleep..... $$-0

Sunday came as it always does, oh early-thrity, but I saw not a cloud as I left my home......beautiful day, as if to make up for the nonsense the day before.....

Got to the range, and already there was ASMinuteman, sounding "Lake Corona" for deep pockets of bass.....I told him we had found no -bass- there, but that it was entirely in the realm of possibility that if he waited for it to dry out some, he would probably find some -brass- in there.... **) **)

Putting in another early appearance was the father/daughter combo of Mike & A.QT Monster......she was convinced she had practiced enough to finally hit her elusive RM score, and if not, to continue to preservere until she did.....-then- she will accept the orange hat of destiny!

By 8:30, we were re-covering safety & safe rifles, and the party began! We did a sheet of squares, and marched into an AQT.....that was fun, let's do another!! And another timed one.....

For lunch, we were able to cover the DOM & Courageous Ladies, and ASMinuteman was able to do a short presentation on all the "stuff" he was wearing in his re-enactor garb. Good info to know.....

Following lunch, we had "dessert"....OREOs' for dessert, except we pinned them to the backers @ 9, 12, & 3 o clock......I had the shooters prep 3 rounds....then decided they should try them as a "blind NPOA" test.....establish NPOA on the cookie, confirm, close "rest" their eyes and fire.
Gee, big surprise, one of the girls got the first one!!
After they ran their 3 shots, we had them load 10 and begin shooting at will.......Jessica finished hers off first, followed closely by A.QTMonster, and finally Freeman caught up so as not to leave the guys totally "defenseless"......

Very fun deal, and woke the shooters up well from their after lunch "relaxed mode".

A brief stop into the "5 stages of sitting", and a cadence drill practice sheet, and we launched back into AQT's......about 4 more, and it was time to chase the sun, and get it all in before it left for good......We had a total of 3 great scores....one right on the 210-211 teeter point (my ice jug was pretty full!)(and Lake Corona was looking pretty good, too!!) but then the shooter did a 220 on the next AQT, so we went with that one.....

Jim was very grateful at making the RM grade, and will be considering joining up as an IIT with his family.....

Chris B. had gone out to the instructor's meeting with us at my request, and had been deemed a great potential addition to the team by everyone, so when we offered him the hat, he was not only amazed, but felt very honored as well.....as it should be....
Our final red coat numbers were that we had 2 @ 400, 3 @ 300, 2 @ 200, 3 - HS, and 2 cleared. Wow!! Simply "WOW!!" :o

By then, it really was time to go, it was not only getting dark quickly, but also a chilly wind was picking up......dang....time to leave......but we were having so much fun!! Why do we have to leave?? I want to be back tomorrow to work with more folks like these.....
Some of the thoughts I have when it's time to close the shop up on an AS.......'til the next one.....

So, besides watching the rain on Saturday, and the tube on Sunday, how was -your- weekend?

LayloPro

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

the usual additional pix....

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

and mo' pix.....

A.Q.T. monster

i had soo much fun on sunday. now what we've all been waiting for another stanza of my poem. the blue is the newest insert and red is the 2ed to last newest insert

What do u think of when you hear Apple seed?
Some think of Johnny Apple seed.
Others like my self think of RWVA's Apple seed project.
RWVA's project changed my life.
It made me believe that I could actually do some thing.
In a state with tight gun control I still had fun.
At an Apple seed I shot my first rifle,
And I wasn't afraid.
The instructors helped me A LOT,
With their constant support that I could be a riflewoman,
With the steady hold factors, I would have never thought of on my own.
My dad and I would have never known how to use to use a sling.
I probably would have been afraid to shoot a rifle before the Apple seed.
But now I beg my dad to change his plans so we can go shoot.
I guess what I'm getting at is I love Apple seeds.
My first Apple seed I didn't know what a rifleman was.
My second Apple seed I was 11 points off from being one.
My first Apple seed I had an effective range of 100 yards.
My second Apple seed I had an effective range of 200 yards.
In my third appleseed i was able to clear both red coats.
In my third appleseed my dad made riflemen
The fourth appleseed will be my turn

In my fourth appleseed i got my highest AQT score of 192
In my fourth appleseed i got a 172, 173 and a 174 in that order
In my fifth appleseed i just gotta 'shut up and shoot'

Now I get a thrill out of shooting Big guns.
Before I didn't know what a 10/22 Ruger was.
Now I even know what a mini 14 is.
Before they were just guns in my dad's safe.
Now I want bigger ones.
Now I can't wait for the next Apple seed.
All the new friends I've met,
Friends I can actually talk to about stuff like this,
Instead of stuffing it in the closet like it never happened.
Thank you Apple seed people.

asminuteman
Quote from: asminuteman on February 08, 2010, 10:41:15 PM
*Laughing*
Yep Madison was "tired"......at least thats what she told me when I ask her if she was "freaking" out on us.
I said she could sit and rest, being a girl and all  >:D    that made her try harder! #) go figure...
hehehehe
duh just cause i'm a girl i still gotta prove to you that it doesnt matter i can still shoot longer then my dad. :---

once again i can't wait for then next AS i always have a blast. we need to bring more OREOs next time  :)
shoot like a girl... if you can
In a box

asminuteman

A.Q.T. monster

bring them down to the next AS that i'm at and i'll talk to them  @@) and help them learn to shot... o ya my dad has finally joined the forum look up brasschucker and thats him.
shoot like a girl... if you can
In a box

LayloPro

Oh, BTW....

if anybody wanted to see who 22calgal was "shamelessly promoting to".....

I told her she was wasting her time, there is -no way- this fellow would -ever- get decent cheek weld on -any- kind of rifle, much less turkey neck.....he has no neck!! And those fingers!! What kind of trigger squeeze is he gonna get with -those- mitts??!!?!?!?! :wb: **) ++)

But, as usual, she persisted.....don't know what the outcome will be, but "Big Boy" made noises like he likes guns, so who knows...... %) :))

Only in Cali..... %) ++) ..:..

It ain't just the cheese & happy cows out here....... :))  **) **) **) %)

LLP