News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Meaning of Volunteerism, Or, Have I been a Jerk?

Started by Stimey, December 09, 2009, 09:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stimey

Fellow NC Appleseeders,  

I have received some feedback on the Strategy posts I posted last week.  It appears that I may have left some room for misunderstanding in some of my comments, and have apparently caused some ill-feelings among the NC Instructor Corps.  Well, I have a tendency to speak plainly, which doesn't always translate well into the written word.  Therefore, with all candor I shall relate the salient points of a message I received and give what I hope to be a clarifying response on my position on the responsibilities of an Appleseed Instructor.

From a NC Instructor:

"You seem to be quite the go getter with high goals......  I just want to remember that we are all volunteers.  Wile pushing your volunteers is important and the role of a leader.  To much of it can backfire.  The more I hear "this is what I expect of you" or "I want to see you doing X amount more next year" the less I want to do.

So the past 3 years I have taught.  Fred and the team expected us to teach 4 Appleseeds a year......  From what I have read you want 12, and if 6 or more are not done then as you say. "I shouldn't expect help from."   OK, well... I guess you can't expect help from me then.

So I am not sure if you want my help or not.  Put me on the "slacker" list. All I can say is I will do my best to teach at 4 next year.

I don't know which is more regrettable to me personally, that this instructor seems to think I am attacking him personally, or that he is the ONLY instructor who has given me any feedback about my posts AT ALL!!  That makes me think that I must have offended everyone in North Carolina's Appleseed community!  So, I will immediately address these points.

1)  Volunteerism

I am quite aware that we are all volunteers.  Indeed, everyone in Appleseed is throughout the nation.  Why did we volunteer for this?  I don't know how each of you would answer, but I can offer my own story.  I came to an RBC because it was worth eight days of my time and $200 of my money to learn how to REALLY shoot a rifle.  I heard the stories, and the logic of the choices our Founding Fathers made appealed to me and struck me as something worthy of honor and remembrance.  Sorry to disappoint, but I don't get tears when I think about what they sacrificed for the next ten generations; I just marvel at the courage and fortitude necessary to contemplate the options (or lack thereof) that presented themselves.  So, I came for the shooting, and stayed with it because I love to teach and believe that Appleseed serves a very valuable need.  People become inspired to be better people because of what we do.  What greater calling is there?  As I have posted elsewhere, I'm here because I want to teach people how to shoot (which can effect a magical change on the individual in and of itself) and to enlighten people of the magnificence of their heritage in a way that personalizes their own exceptionalism.  They have been blessed to have been born American, and it is a blessing indeed!  Truth is, it's usually enough to start that alteration of their thinking by itself. And, I might add, I am very proud to be part of that process.

2)  My duties as State Coordinator

As the SC, I have an obligation to present the expectations of the program AS STATED, and to push an agenda of growth.  That means I say (just as others before me) that four events a year is barely adequate.   Per Nickle, as posted in the Instructor Schedule Board:

Now, every Instructor (or Instructor-In-Training) should be covering no less than 4 events per year, minimum. That doesn't mean you teach 4 and call it good. It means if you only teach 4, you're a marginal performer, kind of like a D- grade in school. But, if you AREN'T teaching at least 4, I'd say you're an unsatisfactory performer. The goal here is 12 events per year to be considered real good. Just 1 per month, on average. We had one do 22 for 2008.

Yeah, harsh words. But, I can do more than 4 each year, I did 12 for 2008. I work several jobs (Regular job, Guards and a family business), and have a family, too. And, if I can find the time, so can you. Maybe not for 12, but you can try.

My earlier Strategy postings may have indicated a perception that some of the instructors may have perceived me to be critical of their contributions as unworthy or inadequate.  I did not intend to leave anyone with that impression, and I do not motivate by provocation.  I do think that there have been some miscommunication and misunderstanding among some of the Instructor Corps about the expectations of the program, so I state here that the premise that four events worked per year is neither my own idea, nor did I so state in the earlier posts.  What I said was this:  

"I urge you all to commit to at least 10 events in 2010.  For all NC IIT's, we RI's and SB's desperately need help.....That means you IIT's need to be ready, because I will come calling.  If you don't have the time, then find me a replacement that I can train in your place.  That's my challenge to you IIT's.  Do as much as you can to honor your commitment, because I am going to set some very challenging goals for you in the next five months."

If anyone should be put off by my challenge, shouldn't it be the IIT's?  Yet, I have no complaints from them.

So I ask of all NC RI's and IIT's:  Where should I set the bar for performance?  I realize that ten or twelve events is stressful, even unreasonable for some, maybe many, of you.  Moreover, I am very proud and honored to be considered a peer among you for whatever services you are able to provide for this organization.  I purposefully never said "This is what I expect of you".  I did use the word "urge."  I also said the following:

"I am asking for a maximum commitment from everyone for the next six months.  I will not ask this of you again.  I'm asking now because of the goals I've set for us.  These are very ambitious goals, and it will take a maximum effort to reach them."

I specifically spoke in generalities, trusting that everyone would take my plans under advisement, look to their own personal responsibilities, and make themselves available as they were able.  I did also request that they treat their past performance as an example of what is possible and to try to improve on that in the coming year.  If that is not possible, I understand.  But I also question why this gentle persuasion results in a desire to do less.  Is it more important to demonstrate through your actions that I am an insensitive boor, or to continue participating in the Appleseed program?  That is a question that must be asked.  If any Instructor is looking for an excuse to get out, I trust they will find their own way to the door, but the excuse that one man among hundreds (whether they be me, JB, Nickle, or even Fred himself) who participate in Appleseed could influence that decision is suspect in my opinion.  

3)  The Slacker List

There isn't one in Appleseed.  The suggestion that one's rendered assistance to Appleseed is considered unworthy or dispensable is contemptible, and I apologize if I gave anyone that impression.  

From my first post as SC:

"For any IIT's and instructors that are willing to commit to attending at least one AS event every two months AS AN INSTRUCTOR, please contact me by checking in here.  This is exactly half of what I hope to get as a time commitment from you, but I want to use this criterion as a way to separate who I should contact for help and who I shouldn't expect help from."

I should have been more clear about this.  In the Strategy posts, I asked for volunteers to work gun shows, hand out flyers, pass the word at the local gun shops and barber shops, find new shoot locations and forward them to me, and find people who I could contact about starting shoots in new areas.  I also asked for volunteers to form a state Event Promotions Team.  These activities are what I was referring to when I said that those who could not commit to six events per year I shouldn't expect help from.  I didn't mean to disparage those instructors who are limited to six events as unappreciated.  For this vagueness on my part, I apologize.  I simply meant that instructors that couldn't do more than six shoots per year probably couldn't help with promotions efforts either.  In this, I was certainly wrong.  Each of us can promote Appleseed in his daily contacts in his own community in an informal way.  And I welcome this assistance as well.

Bottom line:  I have nothing but respect for any service rendered to the Appleseed Program, be it large or small.  The flip side of that coin is that each of us has made a commitment to serve as a volunteer.  I think the meaning of a commitment to Appleseed as a volunteer has not been clearly made plain to new IIT's, and that is something that should be addressed.  Minimums of service have not been clearly defined either.  Until they are, I will follow the precedent that Nickle has set, which is four events per year.  That doesn't mean I won't ask for all I can get.  Remember, I have the duty to grow the program.  I mean to do that job to the best of my ability.

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Spanner

Let me tackle this from an odd direction.

There is a line command: "SHOOTERS, YOU MAY PROCEED DOWN RANGE AND...".

A couple of times over the summer, I saw or was involved in a speculative conversation between the Line Boss and others, in which the Line Boss suggested "well, we could go look at the targets..."  Sure enough, this was taken as a release to proceed downrange by a shooter or two.

It is very difficult to plan "by the numbers", because we are not numbers, but volunteers.  Some of us have the flexibility to travel, and some do not.  Some of us set our own goals, and some of us like to have goals set for us.  Some like the entrepreneurial flexibility that exists within Appleseed, and some like the more rigid replication/franchise aspect of Appleseed.  Some are not offended by being pushed, and some are (I happen to be of this category). 

However, planning does require speculation, and numbers, even if those numbers are gross abstractions from the Individuals that they are meant to represent.  Can one predict X red hats in April 2010 based on Y orange hats today?  Probably not at the state level.  But you can estimate that you need X red hats in April 2010, remark that you have Z orange hats today, and then work towards X with the people that you have today and get tomorrow.  People will respond according to their understanding of what is at stake, and their private situation.

The kind of planning that you are doing is very good, I think.  And I happen to know that you are not a prick... unless you've suddenly taken on a new aspect since our time together. :)

Summary: there is a difference between plannings/speculations/information/opportunities and commands. 

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Fred

And, likewise, there needs to be some thinking about "commitment" and what it means, before you decide what level of commitment you can make.

Consider: This is a program to save our nation.

Not just our nation. Our future.

Your future. The future of your kids, and grandkids.

Since this is all volunteer at Appleseed, YOU decide your level of commitment.

But you don't decide in a vacuum (I hope).

You first consider what "commitment" means - after all, this is 21st-century America, where words like "commitment" and "shame" have little meaning for the average American.

And you - we - have to be careful, being as how we're all "pickled" in the modern brine that is 21st-century America, not to let ourselves be influenced by that soaking in apathy, ignorance, and laziness.

Hence, I did a quick search on the word "commitment" on our site, turning up 17 pages of hits - prob a reflection of the role "commitment" plays in this program.

I only had time to go thru the first 11 pages, and here are some of the more relevant post/threads for your consideration:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2057.msg22174#msg22174 [This one must be pretty scary, as it's only been read 133 times in nearly two years! Hope it's not too tough for any on this thread to read...]

From earlier this year, something equally scary for some of us: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1450.msg16154#msg16154 [It, too, has only been read 'lightly' - 413 times to date (on a site with nearly 5000 members)]

From the WL2 board, there's this: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=481.msg4317#msg4317

If you can't read it, you should be asking yourself, "why am I not on the WL2 board?" and get busy getting on that board, where all the serious Appleseeders are...

Check the last para of Reply #4 at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8166.msg74918#msg74918 where it says "...you become a Probationary Member until you demonstrate a strong commitment to the heritage of shooting and the promotion of marksmanship."

Which suggests another question: which of us, reading this thread, wants to boast of a "weak commitment" to the Cause?

Here's some excerpts from the secret proceedings on the Steering Committee which until now have never been available to us lessor mortals - but maybe you'd like to read them:

...I would like to see us start pushing the notion of signing up for Appleseed 'for the duration'; and of NOT signing up if you're gonna get your nose out of joint at the first perceived insult (generously interpreted to mean anything).

In other words, we want you only if you are committed to the Cause, not some flitting grasshopper.

Maybe then we can reduce the turnover, achieve stability, and have a successful program....

You may remember the military found it had to indoctrinate troops with why they were fighting in WW2.

I find an analogy here, in this program.

To me, and to you, it's so obvious we don't think about it, or need to think about it.

But the average American, even as far back as WW2, is seemingly naive, uncertain, indecisive, easily susceptible to propaganda - and needs a backbone inserted to give him the fearless grit he needs to have.

In WW2, they came up with the "Why We Fight" series (and a pretty good one it is - you may have seen some of the films in the series).

Now, three generations later, the problem is as bad, or worse...

But for sure we need to incorporate in the process of signing up for this site the notion that you are making a commitment, a serious one, and not one to be regarded lightly.

This also puts teeth in our notion that this is a working site. If people don't want to work, we gently ease them off the site.

It's hard for some of us, as there's a natural inclination to want more people here rather than fewer, but the guidelines are not number of 'members' but number of 'working members'.

We all understand quality beats quantity, and that ten workers beat 100 - or 1000 - lazy bums.

But this is a program we need to grow fast, and dead weight just drags us back...

Here's a post everyone can see, from the now-early days in the program, which gets to the point pretty well, I hope - be sure to read past the nostalgia of the early paragraphs until you come to the discussion of The Few: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1567.msg17523#msg17523

And this thread can bear re-reading: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7226.0

Here is a famous post/thread, "Summer Soldiers and Sunshine Patriots" - it's been read 3500+ times, so you know it must be juicy (meaning, will "make you mad!" :) ), but now for some reason - prob 'cause it's too potent for most people to read - it's on the WL2 level, where you should be, anyway: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1969.0

If you can handle that, maybe you can handle this: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=230.0 Read only 1102 times to date, seems to me it should be read more than that...

If you have the time (and who of us doesn't, in those 27 days in between our monthly Appleseeds), it will pay to read thru http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.0

There's a lot to think about, in that one word, "commitment".

The New Year is looming before us. Maybe a time to think about some resolutions?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

So every hears this straight from the horse's mouth, I'll restate the amount of commitment expected od an Instructor (that includes you IIT's) here.

We expect you to work 12 events, one per month. Every military reservist does that many drills, PLUS a 2 week Annual Training period.

We also consider 4 events a year as a dead minimum (you know, like a D- in school).

Now, we'll take ALL we can get from you, and we even have a plan to reward those that teach 12 per year. I checked to see where the policy was so I could quote it, but couldn't handily find it.

Now, if you have any heartburn with these standards, feel free to discuss it with myself or Fred. Don't blame anybody else other than the 2 of us. as we are the ones that came up with these numbers. I guarantee I'll be civil to you, and hear you out, just know that you may or may not like my reply.

And know that I'm holding you to no higher standards than I hold myself.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

PHenry

Stimey,
Who could see you as anything but a big teddy bear of a man.  @)

I'll just say what I said at my last IBC (also my first). "Make a commitment to work as many events as you can right now. For every event you don't work - someone else will have to".

The way that pans out for me and about four others here in Florida is that we work it, over and over, back to back, side to side, in a train that becomes a blur and a personal life that is in disarray.

Is it because we don't care about our families and work? Is it because we love cheap hotels and eating store bought food? It is because we have nothing else to do? No. We do it because it has to be done and nobody else stepped up to help us bail. The boat is sinking faster than it were when I signed on.

Ten years ago, I would have laughed at anyone who suggested that I give up half of my weekends for free. But, now I have a little baby granddaughter. Her name is Anabelle, Anabelle Lee. Anabelle is 9 years old (She'd correct me and say 9.5). She is maybe 4' tall and has long, pretty brown hair. She's cute and sweet and I love her with all my heart.

Why in God's name would crippled old Sam Whittemore have take on an entire British Brigade with zero chance of survival? Because he couldn't stand the thought of his grandkids growing up as slaves and neither can I.

Appleseeds works - I have seen it in their eyes. If we started 20 years ago - we'd be in good shape right now, but we didn't start 20 years ago. We are behind the curve and behind the eight ball. Liberty is in jeopardy. Time is of the essence and if need be, the five of us will run 30 events this year because we place a high price upon our Liberty. The Liberty we all take for granted is not ours to squander, as we did not secure it. It is our duty to maintain it for our posterity, as was done for us so long ago.

When the canary drops dead in the mine, two kinds of people are revealed - the kind who ignore it and keep digging in deeper and the kind who move. Which kind are you?

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

AFTERMATH

QuoteAppleseeds works - I have seen it in their eyes. If we started 20 years ago - we'd be in good shape right now, but we didn't start 20 years ago. We are behind the curve and behind the eight ball. Liberty is in jeopardy. Time is of the essence and if need be, the five of us will run 30 events this year because we place a high price upon our Liberty. The Liberty we all take for granted is not ours to squander, as we did not secure it. It is our duty to maintain it for our posterity, as was done for us so long ago.
I wish I'd have thought of it 20 years ago... :wall:

Despite my best efforts; I was only able to work 9-ish Appleseeds this last year....(unless I can sqeeze out another...)
I take no offense at a suggestion that I 'lack' commitment.  As I know; I tried my best.  I also know; that I will try even harder this coming year.
And we're going to need it!  Up here in the frozen tundra; we're going to be booked to our current capacity...
2010, I should have no problem getting in 12...  As long as I can navigate around my employers policy of 'one weekend off per month.'
Since, last Feb; I've had one weekend off off both work and and Appleseed...  That was an accident; as I would have no problem spending that at an Appleseed as well.  In fact; I'd proudly sacrafice 5 weekends a month; if possible....(Heck; 363.25 days per yr would be fine with me...)

However, this does come from the stand-point of 23yr old with no wife or kids...(So, that 12/yr incentive doesn't even really intise me.)
I can understand that it can be demanding.  I can understand how a family struggling simply to keep food on the table would find it difficult to make four Appleseeds a year, let alone, 12...  Four Appleseeds is pretty important.  Simply because, it takes that many just to keep up to speed. 
If you're feeling overburdoned; if you simply can't do all that is asked of you; do what you can.  Give it all you've got.  Don't be offended.  You did what you could.
Take the time you can to find others that will help you out.  If you can only work 4 events per year; but you find 2 other dedicated individuals who can work 6. Well, not only have you doubled for yourself; you've also quadrupled the number of Instructor slots covered.

Keep strong!
Win or lose; you'll be able to hold your head high and say you did all you could to save this sinking ship.
By the way; I wrote lose in there because it soulded better.  Failure is NOT an option for us; we have a country tos save.

Push Forward men(and women)!!!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

txpirate

Anyone who took offense to his postings doesn't know Stimey.
There is a simple cure to this situation: Get out to our NC Appleseeds on Dec 12&13th. There's two of them. Every instructor in NC (expcept one possibly) should be at one or the other and Stimey will be at both.
Get to know your new SC. To be honest, I wish I lived closer to the guy. (This being said after we both moved from the same town in Texas to North Carolina. **))

Here's the way I see it:
I think every American should know how to shoot.
I know every American should learn more of their heritage.
I am absolutely positive that would make this country better.
Therefore I share the core beliefs of Appleseed and I volunteer for it. The committment I make is not to the name of 'Appleseed', it is to these ideals.

On top of that, I have had a blast at every Appleseed I've ever been to, hurricanes and 128deg heat factors be damned. If you leave an Appleseed having not enjoyed the time or the company, give it one more shot. If your opinion hasn't changed after that, perhaps you are wasting your time.

SamD

One of the things I learned in the service is the variability of people.  
Not all have the same motivation and ability. Some are bright as can be but not motivated, others will do anything for you but don't have the tools, mental or physical.

A leaders job is to get everything he can out of his troops. The other part of a leaders job is making sure that 100% of what is sometimes not very much, is enough.

If we lead well, they will give us all they have, it's up to us to make sure that all they have is "good enough"

MCKNBRD

At risk of sounding petty, childish, un-motivated, un-dedicated, and lazy, I'll chime in here with my opinions and state my position. 

First, Appleseed IS a volunteer organization.  That is one of the main reasons I put my hand up and took an orange hat; the message is good, the training is great, and the experience is excellent.  But the fact that everyone on that line in an orange, red, or green hat is there because they WANT to be there makes it that much better.  Its great in many ways, but it also can be a hinderance, as planning is MUCH more difficult.  Thats an issue for the leadership to tackle; sounds like Fred, Nickle, FF, Sam, Stimey, et al. are doing that; which leads to point #2...

Second, the leadership needs to remember that Appleseed is a volunteer organization.  Browbeating us with expectations that are quite high, then disparaging us when we don't meet the arbitrary standard, is a good way to drive folks from the program.  Everyone can contribute something, sometime, at some level.  Having only done 3 Appleseeds this year, I'm probably a bottom-feeding loser that is a drag on the program; based on the expectations I've seen posted, I definitely am.  Seeing as how I typically have 1 weekend off a month, if I dedicate that weekend to AS, my family loses.  Last year, in the leadup to the April 19th weekend, I committed 80+% of my time off during the day to being at Fred's warehouse packing boxes; that put a HUGE strain on my family, and it won't happen again.  Bottom line with point 2: expectations are great, but be reasonable and understanding of folks' unique situations.  If I stumble upon a good 8-5 job and can get a 'normal' schedule, I'll be able to dedicate a LOT more to AS.  I'm hoping and praying for that to happen.

Third, a point mentioned by Sam above.  The variability of people.  I won't dedicate 12 weekends a year to the program; I could, but my 3 year old already doesn't spend enough time with his dad because of work.  He deserves to have it better than I did, and have a relationship with his father.  I can, though, pack boxes.  I can touch every customer we have at Gander and give them a SWAT handout and talk up the program.  I can do planning and editing on the computer at home after I get home from work.  My point: everyone has something they can do, and it doesn't necessarily mean that line time is the only time that counts. 

Fourth, and possibly the most important point; Logistics.  The logistics tail wags the dog.  Unfortunately, with Appleseed, logistics takes a back seat to range time and what color hat someone wears.  There needs to be better planning, organizing, and setting up of a dedicated logistics hub for stuffing boxes and such (sorry, Fred, but that warehouse is impossible to work in, and spending an hour getting stuff organized to stuff boxes is a huge waste of time.).  What is the answer?  Bulkhead and I discussed it a little, but there are costs and planning factors we aren't privy to, so nothing has been done.  If there was a place where I could go for an hour or two a week, knock out 6 or 7 boxes myself, and stage them to ship, that would be a huge help.  If there were 3 or 4 folks in a reasonable driving radius of the hub, and they did that too, we could handle every Appleseed on a given weekend.  Heck, if we could coordinate for 2 or 3 of us to rally up at the same time, we could do a week's worth of boxes in 3 hours, and get eveything ready for the next push.  It ain't rocket science.

I do what I can to help the program.  Be it contacting factory & industry reps, telling gun buyers about the program (and how close the home range is!), stuffing boxes, or instructing, I do what I can.  If it isn't enough, say so and I'll bow out.  But a volunteer organization will always have those that can dedicate more time than others; its the nature of the beast.  I guess its up to the leadership to decide if they want those that have an interest and want to support the organization, but can't dedicate the weekends and time as much as others, to stick around or not.

Personally, I'd love to have a couple of happy hour gatherings to get to know folks away from the range.  Heck, the founders met at pubs.  Lets get together and have a couple of beers and talk without the stress of live firearms, trainees, time schedules, and training on our backs.  I mean, realistically, we could meet at the hub (mentioned above), work for a few hours, then have a couple of beers and shoot the bull and still have time in the day for the other stuff that is important in our lives.  That, my friends, is balance.  Balance is a good thing.

2 pennies...
Byrdman
Its better to sweat in peace than bleed in war.

Guns and Ammo...between them, they get all the money my wife lets me have!

bulkhead

MCKNBRD,
I've been remiss in my job by not keeping you up to date on the supply situation.  We're now packing and shipping from the Greensboro area.   

This is a great chance for you to come help in a warehouse that has room to spare.  It's now located in Kearnersville.  You might want to help packing boxes or helping bring in supplies.  We need both.  PM on it's way.

bulkhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

PHenry

Here in Florida, we appreciate any help, no matter how little and I make it a personal mandate to thank people for every effort - small and large, as it is my nature to get so focused that I forget to do so. I understand that people have different situations and different senses of priority.

Trust me when I tell you that I have repeatedly received, even recently, some serious "pushing" from them's of a higher pay grade. I have enjoyed some tongue lashings and scathing PMs that would have sent anyone who brung their ego to table into an insulted sulk at the very least.

There are two things that allow me to weather these "push sessions" and stay the course:
A) I understand the motive behind them - they are born of frustration and a sense of urgency by good men who mean only the best and sometimes get so focused on the gravity of our mission that they forget the need to stroke egos.
B) I have learnt to keep my own enormous and hindering ego out of the equation (thank you Appleseeds for teaching me this trick as it has made my entire life more enjoyable).

If not for the above - I would have been gone late last year.

If you can only work one event - so be it, I will take it and say thank you. When I ask you to work more, understand why. What we are doing is child's play compared to what were done for us.

PH

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

VAshooter

Hey Stimey, if those guys in North Carolina don't like you, come on up here to Virginia. We would love to have you working here.

The Virginia Instructors have been working North Carolina Appleseeds for years and it looks like we will continue doing so in the future. I'll be down there a few times in 2010 to help you out and many of the other Virginia Instructors will too. One way or another, we'll bring Appleseed to North Carolina.

VAshooter

EEL

Thought provoking post, to say the least.  Help is help.  All of it welcome.  And we NEED it !  All of us here know that or we wouldn't be on this site.  That said, yes, the SC, Fred, FF and SBs can sometimes seem like there is never enough done to make 'em happy.  The "What have you done for me lately?"

Funny thing about getting things done in an all volunteer organization, sometimes all you have to do is ASK.  Often folks are chomping at the bit to apply some of their talents for the Cause.  Catch 22.  If the SC, Fred, Nickle, etc don't ask, and do it themselves, our volunteers can feel like there is nothing to do.  That "The "higher ups" don't trust us bottom feeders to do anything".  If they ask, they are relentless, overbearing, ungrateful, taskmasters.

Rest assured, ANY and ALL efforts are appreciated.  That includes, attending gun shows, talking it up at work, hitting the gun shops and sporting good stores, working on the web site, handling registration, posting info on shoots, etc.  Sadly, there is no "record' of non-shoot contributions.  

But YOU know.  You and the person in the mirror each morning.  Are you doing all you can?  If so, dip a shoulder and let the "brow beatings" roll off your back.  They aren't meant for you.  In your heart, you know you're bailing.  Remember, some folks aren't as committed as you and need a bit more prodding.  If not, take the request for more involvement to heart and pick up that bucket that's been sitting in the corner a bit too long.  

Here in Illinois, we will take any and all help, in whatever fashion it comes in.  Can we use more?  Always.  Do we put "the arm" on our people?  From time to time, if we need to, yes.  Do we say "Thanks, I appreciate your help"?  I know I try.

Volunteer organizations lose members for one of two reasons:  "Either they want / expect too much"...OR..."They don't have enough for me to do.  I'm bored."  Work on that 7th step.  Get more folks involved.  Many hands make the work light.  

We can do this.  We NEED to do this.  The future of this country just might hinge on what you do on any given day.  April 19, 1775 should be proof enough of that.

Thanks to all that work behind the scenes and at the shoots.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Fred

Quote from: EEL on December 11, 2009, 07:47:20 PM
Volunteer organizations lose members for one of two reasons:  "Either they want / expect too much"...OR..."They don't have enough for me to do.  I'm bored."

Let me stir the pot a bit and amend the above to say "for one reason: the failure of the modern American to understand 'commitment'."

Let me suggest that is the ONLY reason. >:D

If the Mission is important, someone "expecting too much" of you is surely not a reason - albeit an excuse - to leave.

Likewise, if the Mission is important, there's ALWAYS plenty to do - and the failure of some other volunteer to take you by the hand, and explain to you what you need to do is not a reason - but is an excuse - to leave.

Any adult member of homo sapiens should be able to find something to do to accomplish a mission - it's a basic requirement to be a member of the species, to have some brains.

Heck, if things are so bad in the offending volunteer outfit, the best thing for you as a volunteer to do it to improve it, so people can start to get things done.

BTW, it's a little-known fact we don't highlight in our tale of 4/19/75 - every man there had another by the hand, leading him, whispering "next, I want you to do..."

But then, that was the 18th century in America - not the 21st. :'(

:)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

PHenry

I got a CC today of a PM that was sent to Instructor Scheduling by one our "core crew" here in Florida that I wanted to share with ya'll.

Now don't go gettin your britches in a wad - not meant to be a clown batting, I just wanted everyone to see why Florida has not failed so far. We have not failed because of people like Willorith. He is a quiet and resourceful fellow that I have leanrt to never underestimate in any way.

I understand that not everyone here has enough spare time to make this level of commitment. I also know that this man is self-employed and anyone who is also so employed knows well how many hours it takes to keep a small business afloat. He likely works 60 to 70 hours per week, just like the rest of us small business owners.

His mere appearance at an event, accompanied near every time by BrownBess, can only be described by any of Florida's SBs as an "Oh, thank the Lord" moment, knowing that your task just got a bit less daunting.

Here's what he sent Instructor Scheduling today:

You have just been sent a personal message by willorith on Project Appleseed - National Headquarters - Volunteers Welcome.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

Good people:

Please schedule me for all 21 events on the books for Florida in 2010. If events conflict, I will go where I am needed.

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=147069;quote;u=1930

Imagine how I felt when I saw this. Knowing that Willorith would be somewhat embarrased by any attention, I felt compelled to ask his permission to make this post and he replied in his usual manner: "Use it as you wish to the best advantage of our project."

It is humbling in deed to serve with people like Willorith and BrownBess. If we had ten more like them, Florida would lead the nation and would soon be "lousy" with Riflemen!

To Willorith, BrownBess, ItsanSKS, RickB and all the others who keep Florida from failing - I will say what the men at Fort Stewart said to their instructors when asked if they leanrt anything - "Hoooaaahhhh!"  O0 O0 O0 O0

PH

Heavy Cav

No Offence taken here.  I promote AS every chance I get and running in the circles I run in that is alot.  I requested AS Promotional Materials that I could hand out at all of the events we sponcer/attend.  So far they have not been delivered so I could hand them out.  I'm not going to beg for materials to hand out to support AS.

I think my info is on here so please have "Informational Materials" delivered so I can hand them out.  This is a 2 way street don't ask for help to promote the program and fail to deliver the material to be handed out. O0

22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...

PHenry

HC,
There are fliers that can be downloaded and copied - that's how I do it. There are also some cool SWAT and Blue Press article reprints to be had if you can find out who is ion charge of same. I think Bulkhead would know, as he sends small supplies of them out with shoot supply boxes.

Tell me where u a re and I will try to get you in touch with someone who can help you.

PH

Nickle

Quote from: SamD on December 11, 2009, 01:38:47 AM
One of the things I learned in the service is the variability of people.  
Not all have the same motivation and ability. Some are bright as can be but not motivated, others will do anything for you but don't have the tools, mental or physical.

A leaders job is to get everything he can out of his troops. The other part of a leaders job is making sure that 100% of what is sometimes not very much, is enough.

If we lead well, they will give us all they have, it's up to us to make sure that all they have is "good enough"

Yup, very true.

We'll ask for 12 a year (and more is nice), with 4 as the minimum, and accept what we can get, even if it's less than 4.

Now, that's Instructors (from IIT0 through MI). 4 is mentioned, because that's about the minimum you can do and still stay current and sharp.

Helpers, we'll take all the help we can get from you.

As to whether you've done all you can, I'll leave that for each of you to judge yourself on. You will know the truth.

And, I'll tank you for everything you can do, no matter how small or how big it may be.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Heavy Cav

Quote from: PHenry on December 21, 2009, 01:11:38 PM
HC,
There are fliers that can be downloaded and copied - that's how I do it. There are also some cool SWAT and Blue Press article reprints to be had if you can find out who is ion charge of same. I think Bulkhead would know, as he sends small supplies of them out with shoot supply boxes.

Tell me where u a re and I will try to get you in touch with someone who can help you.

PH

Next time I'm at the Home Range (Jan) I'll pick some up.  When we do "events" it's hundreds or thousands of people we talk to.  I made an AS flyer that was 8 to a page and handed out 100 sheets worth in a single day.  I can't afford to make reams of copies.

PHenry

I have a local Sir Speedy that gives me a good rate. I know ItsanSKS knows a man that gets an even better rate  than I can. PM ItsanSKS and see what he can do for you. Much appreciate your help.
PH

Heavy Cav

Stimey,

It was nice to hear from you.  I am your man in Charlotte.  We have decided to be sponcers for the race series we discussed over the phone.  So far we are going with "The Campain for Liberty" "Oath Keepers"  "The Three Precenters" and "The AppleSeed Project".

We have all the fees covered but if you want to help that is cool also.

http://www.headsupsuperseries.com/

Heavy Cav

I will be running in the Head Lining Class.  And this will be on Fox Network.  There will be 16 races with thousands of people attending  We will have Banners and allowed to hand out all the fliers you can send me.

Now step up or STFU! :)

bulkhead

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

Stimey

How about that, North Carolina?  By throwing this issue out in front of my peers, we now have one of our own step up and get us listed as an associate sponsor for a drag racing circuit!  You know what that means?  Us "bitter clingers" and "NASCAR nitwits" now have an entirely new demographic to mine for new attendees!  So now, not only do we have a legitimate reason for going to gun shows, we have a legitimate reason for taking our turns at the racetracks!  We may now hand out literature during these events and set up tables along Vendor's Row in order to attract more patriotic Americans to our ranks.  Need a bit of a vacation?  You don't have to be an Instructor to proclaim the benefits of Appleseed at these events.  You don't even need to be a motorhead.  All you need is an appreciation of the challenges our Nation faces, a willingness to share the message of civil and moral responsibility of a Citizen of these United States to a willing audience, and a desire to have fun at the races!  Let's not let this opportunity get away. 

HEAVY-CAV, I applaud you.  This is how I hoped someone would take my chicken excrement and make it into chicken salad.  Now, I will need others among us to step up and make this work.  Who's willing to help promote Appleseed at the races with us?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

txpirate

Heavy Cav

Glad you guys like the Idea.

Now I'm looking for MIL-SPEC O.D. Green Oil Based Paint.  I'm sure some of you guys have gallons of it.  For some reason they don't sell it at Lowes.  I'm going for the OD Green look for this project....

Thanks in advance.

Heavy Cav

http://www.headsupsuperseries.com/

Stimey,

The link to the PTRA Web page is above.  The AppleSeed Project Link is about half way down the page on the right.  AppleSeed is also listed on the Sponcer Page.

And thanks to bulkhead, stimey, and fred for the box of promo-stuff.  We'll put it to good use!

Longshot

Dang it, Stimey!

Guess you and EEL are both gonna have to get to Missouri for  some remedial " kinder, gentler" shoot boss/sc training. He makes the girls cry, and you're trying to start a range war...   **)

What's worse, you don't call, you don't write, you don't even bother me with great expectations!   @@)   ~~:)

I read EVERY post I write back to myself at least 3 times, looking for ways that my particular train of thought and elucidation might be misunderstood. Does it always work? Sadly, no.  Occasionally it's still necessary to bow my head, re analyze my words and thoughts and clarify, which you have done admirably.

And while we all do our best to check our egos at the door, it behooves us to remember that PERSONALITY, and PERCEPTION vary greatly.

Since you moved out East and got that high-payin', high-falutin' SC job, and forgot all your old AS trail buddies, I can't say for sure, but I bet NC would have a hard time doing better than you.

Remember:  Roll with it.

Always on your six,

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Stimey

Remember how, during the 1700's, much of military customs of drill were what I describe as "Demonstration Warfare" in my telling of the Strike Stories?  This post is sort of a variation on that theme.  It was a decision that I made to counter a criticism I received by presenting it to my peers for their judgment.  I figured that my methods would be justified by them, as I had learned to fend off any criticisms which I felt to be unjustified by being transparent.  I also figured that if it was to be a "range war", then it was one worth having.  So, I deployed my arguments into a line of battle and shouted "Huzzah"!  And, it worked!  The issue of how to encourage your fellow man to take up the gauntlet of Appleseed was resolved without too much controversy.  Entreat respectfully, but with boldness, resolve, and audacity of purpose in the knowledge that one's cause is just and his motives are pure.

Of course, I needed a hug, too!

I haven't forgotten who raised me in Appleseed, my mentors such as Longshot, Scout, SamD, Son of Martha, alonso1, VAshooter, and others.  I also sure could use some therapeutic vapors of cordite and solvent among my dearest friends.  But your expectations should be great, although not from me, but from my boys in North Carolina.  Appleseed with a southern flair, with just a bit of Show-Me, Boomer Sooner, and Remember the Alamo.  They're going to impress you this year!

I'm still keeping an eye out for Stick.

See you soon, brother KR.

Quote from: Longshot on February 15, 2010, 11:38:33 PM
Dang it, Stimey!

Guess you and EEL are both gonna have to get to Missouri for  some remedial " kinder, gentler" shoot boss/sc training. He makes the girls cry, and you're trying to start a range war...   **)

What's worse, you don't call, you don't write, you don't even bother me with great expectations!   @@)   ~~:)

I read EVERY post I write back to myself at least 3 times, looking for ways that my particular train of thought and elucidation might be misunderstood. Does it always work? Sadly, no.  Occasionally it's still necessary to bow my head, re analyze my words and thoughts and clarify, which you have done admirably.

And while we all do our best to check our egos at the door, it behooves us to remember that PERSONALITY, and PERCEPTION vary greatly.

Since you moved out East and got that high-payin', high-falutin' SC job, and forgot all your old AS trail buddies, I can't say for sure, but I bet NC would have a hard time doing better than you.

Remember:  Roll with it.

Always on your six,

KR

PHenry

Stimey,
You sir, are a peach, and I'll nevr say diffrnt.
;)