News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need help from OR Instructors

Started by bob 210, August 30, 2010, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Howdy folks, I'm working on an exciting project to set up an Appleseed for Backwoods Home Magazine. They are located in Gold Beach, OR and we are looking for a range within an hours drive. I have contacted the range manager for the private range located at Libby Pond there in Gold Beach, but I need someone to visit the range and see if it will work for an Appleseed. It sounds like it will be big enough, but we need to make sure about berms and safety issue. Please let me know if you are available. Also, if you know of another range nearby, let me know.Thanks
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Earl

Gosh, that is almost Northern California, beautiful country for sure. There aren't enough Oregon instructors yet, but we are working on building a core crew, one range at a time.

If the range is at least 25 meters, and safe for center fire rifles and .22 LR I am sure a crew can be built for an Appleseed.  RL is moving towards central Oregon soon, and having watched him travel in the Northwest he is a potential SB.  I would look at the range myself, but am visiting a doctor today and will wait on his evaluation before committing myself soon.

I do know that the RWVA would send a SB if everything else works, but we have to look at the range and get an agreement with the range for an Appleseed.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

BaldDragn

No worries about the shoot Earl, we will find a way to staff it, we just need a someone to visit and look the range over.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Wade

Sorry
I am in Joliet Il picking up the load to get me home for the shoot this weekend , then going back on the road after that.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

bob 210

If I can't get somebody from Appleseed to go recon this range, we may miss out on a great opportunity to host a Backwoods Home Magazine Appleseed event. The range we are looking to use has been out of use for a couple of years and the club house burned down. We need to see if it is still usable for an event.....what condition the berms are in, if any brush needs clearing, what the dimensions of the firing line are, etc. I really need some help from somebody local. Can anybody lend a hand?

Xeyed

Bob,

I can't help with BOTG. But with the help of google maps. Here is an overview of the range. Assuming this is the one. It's at Libby Pond in Gold Beach Oregon.

Looks like an old trap range.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gold+beach+oregon+libby+pond&sll=42.407333,-124.421774&sspn=0.003723,0.006791&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Libby+Creek+Pond&ll=42.485727,-124.332506&spn=0.001859,0.003396&t=h&z=18

At what looks to be the brush line at back of trap range behind trap houses  the line measures 50 yards. From that point to back of the trap shooters stations  is 35 yards.

Since it is a trap range, there are no berms, But checking the topo map, there is a 400 to 600 hill immediately down range.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gold+beach+oregon+libby+pond&sll=42.407333,-124.421774&sspn=0.003723,0.006791&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Libby+Creek+Pond&t=p&ll=42.485727,-124.332506&spn=0.013988,0.042014&z=15

The only problem is that this picture is from June 2005. Note that the club house is still standing.

Note also road behind range and on top of hill.

Hope that this helps.

X

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

bob 210

Thanks Xeyed, I had already checked all that and the Google Earth images due run old. I really need someone to go by and see if the range is usable. If not, we will not get this BWH event set up. They were really requiring the range to be within 1 hour drive from Gold Beach. I really need some help here folks......

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

I plan to be onsite tomorrow.

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Wheeler44

"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Wade

Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

eaglescouter

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)