News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

In the event of a prolonged forum/site outage (Indiana)

Started by techres, October 16, 2009, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Taking a note from the NY preppers:

In case there is an extended or prolonged forum or site outage, please feel free to come over to the Indiana Gun Owners site and commence emergency commo there:  www.ingunowners.com

INGO already has an Appleseed section to the site, and we have a strong presence there.  Hawkhavn, Me (Techres), Bill of Rights, Yellow House Jake, Mudcate (under the pseudonym Neocon), DaveD (under the old name usafe7ret), Dholder, and others are already over there and can easily be found there.  As an emergency, please consider it a temp alternate.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

ATM

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Fred

techres, is it worthwhile to consider extending the invite to Appleseeders, nationwide?

Maybe even get in touch with (but first, create) an emergency action team to fix whatever the site problem is, and post any needed updates on the Appleseed section of www.ingunowners.com as part of an SOP in dealing with this issue?

Just askin' - seems we could do a better job of dealing with commo issues when the primary site goes down...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

dean

Hooters Billy

Indiana Gun Owners should not bear the brunt of a nation wide commo issue for AS if the main board goes down. It is a very good ideal for Indiana residents to use as a backup to stay in touch.

Quote from: Fred on October 18, 2009, 07:03:18 AM

techres, is it worthwhile to consider extending the invite to Appleseeders, nationwide?

Maybe even get in touch with (but first, create) an emergency action team to fix whatever the site problem is, and post any needed updates on the Appleseed section of www.ingunowners.com as part of an SOP in dealing with this issue?

Just askin' - seems we could do a better job of dealing with commo issues when the primary site goes down...
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

Lars

I guess I'm the odd duck out.  I started over on INGO, and moved here. 

Lars - W9ZEB
CQ CQ CQ CQ DE W9ZEB W9ZEB W9ZEB PSE K

Bill of Rights

Quote from: Lars on December 01, 2009, 02:50:09 PM
I guess I'm the odd duck out.  I started over on INGO, and moved here. 

Lars - W9ZEB

There's a few of us who did that. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Lars

Just a heads up.  InGunOwners.com is undergoing the server move now.  Things should be 100% operational by sometime late Dec. 23.  1&1 has a piss poor DNS server.  They refused to lower the TTL from 24 hours.  *sigh*
CQ CQ CQ CQ DE W9ZEB W9ZEB W9ZEB PSE K

Bill 3

That's Piss poor planning on the people who set it up.........24 hrs  yikes..... I like 5 minutes... or less....

Quote from: Lars on December 22, 2009, 01:34:57 AM
Just a heads up.  InGunOwners.com is undergoing the server move now.  Things should be 100% operational by sometime late Dec. 23.  1&1 has a piss poor DNS server.  They refused to lower the TTL from 24 hours.  *sigh*
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

yellowhousejake

If we had more hams we could just setup a net on 80 meters and call it a day ;^)
Oops! I need a 80 meter transmitter first, now where is that box of transistors...

WB9VTB
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Fred

OK, can we cut some of the chatter and someone come up with a good way to handle alternative commo in event of some outage lasting more than a few hours?

Maybe first ask, "what could cause an outage of more than a few hours?"

For example, if "nuclear attack" is one scenario, it would be dealt with differently than "hacker" would be - right? :)

At any rate, let's do something different and not only talk about the problem, but come up with a solution. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Bill of Rights

Quote from: Fred on December 26, 2009, 03:40:59 AM

OK, can we cut some of the chatter and someone come up with a good way to handle alternative commo in event of some outage lasting more than a few hours?

Maybe first ask, "what could cause an outage of more than a few hours?"

For example, if "nuclear attack" is one scenario, it would be dealt with differently than "hacker" would be - right? :)

At any rate, let's do something different and not only talk about the problem, but come up with a solution. O0

Fred,

Are you thinking in terms of national commo in the event this forum goes down? Does someone at the admin level have everyone's listed email address as a form of commo, maybe?

Just a thought.

Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Mudcat

Even better yet a phone number and address. I know I have a few #s stored in my phone just incase something was to happen on the way to a shoot or even during a shoot. But the days leading up to a shoot? Of if for some reason a scheduled instructor could not attend a shoot for some reason and the SB or even ad min needed to get ahold of another instructor a list of phone numbers by areas would be a good thing.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Deuce

Things that are likely to cause a nationwide commo problem:

1.  The government shuts down the internet.  EO allows this at their whim.  Selective censorship like China is possible.  I view this as likely at some point given the nanny states ever present quest for power.
2.  Large scale nuclear attack.  I view this as extremely unlikely
3.  EMP attack.  I view this, as do many in congress, as likely and extremely dangerous to our lives.
4.  A "Carrington Event" type of solar flare... This is not likely, this is guaranteed to happen again...only a matter of time and carries the same extreme danger to all of our citizens lives as #3.  We dodged a big one about 3 years ago!
5.  Some sort of biological situation where we have massive quarantine...like say a weaponized version of smallpox is unleashed upon us...the electrical grid will go down when we have 95+% fatalities amongst our citizens.  I think this is unlikely, but possible...and could be part of #1. 

Here in the midwest we have an additional situation that is far more serious than most folks realize...the New Madrid fault system.
In the early 1800's when an 8 something quake hit there it cracked sidewalks in Washington D.C. and knocked over chimneys in Maine.  Our geology is much different from California in this regard.  Much of St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Little Rock and many in between could be pretty much flat.  When we have another 8+ quake we will not have electrical power in Indiana for YEARS not months...But, unlike some national events that could happen listed above, at least with an earthquake it is likely that we will eventually get some outside assistance from fellow citizens....it might take six months or longer for us to get some food, but surely they will get to us at some point.

With those things in mind...to me the only thing that makes sense, nationally or locally is ham radios....but then again it matters just what sort of communication you wish to engage in...bear in mind, the feds own the radio spectrum...NOTHING said OTA is private....not to mention the fact that you could be easily located...assuming it wasn't your goal...to be found that is.

Hope that wasn't too much doom and gloom for anybody...   :cool2:

I'm not a ham guy yet...I'm still focusing my spare time on turning my friends and family into appleseeders...ham is next on the list, and IMO would be a perfect way to communicate no matter what sort of problem came up if the phone lines/internet were down.

Fred talks about bailing, well, i think nationwide commo between us in a national emergency should be part of the bailing.   Just my opinion...