News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New leads on places to have a shoot

Started by dart67eb, January 28, 2010, 08:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dart67eb

I'm starting this thread so we can have a place to post any leads, ideas, etc. on new places to host appleseed shoots. If you see something you can help with, jump in!

My current leads for the Shelby County area:

MSSA - set up with Dond for a presentation on 2/17

T1G - the web site says they are 20 min from Memphis in AR.  No joy on the phone #'s listed.  Sent email.  This looks like the Northt Little Rock DARC.  http://www.t1g.com

Desoto County - There's a range near Olive Branch.  I got a contact #.

If these pan out, we'll need some instructor help!
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

dart67eb

I spoke to T1G today.  They'll look at the website and we'll talk again Monday.  I also left messages and email for Desoto County.

dart67eb

I spoke to T1g again today and they don't see a problem with hosting a shoot.  I'm going there next Tuesday to look at the facility and set up up a shoot for May, hopefully.  20 min from Memphis airport. Lots of people here.

Big Papa

Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

dart67eb

Dang, and all this time I thought I was just talking to myself!

wintermute

Old thread I know, but I just kind of happened upon it.

One seemingly great place to host an Appleseed would be the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association.  http://orsaonline.org/

Disclaimer: I am not a member of ORSA, but I have visited several times, and attended an orientation.  I currently live in a nice rural area, so it does not behoove me to pay for a range membership.

Anyway, I think they have an excellent layout for an Appleseed.  There is a "plinking range" where the 25yd shooting could take place, and a separate bench rest area with a 200yd range.  Logistically, it would be perfect for those of us who are a few hours away from Nashville/Manchester, but also a few hours away from Kingsport.  Specifically that would be Oak Ridge, Knoxville, and would probably draw people from Anderson, Knox, Morgan, Roane, perhaps even Campbell, Union and Scott Counties.    If someone who has a membership there could get your foot in the door, I would be hopefull for a decent turn out. When I went to Orientation I think they said they have 2,000 + members?  Not all "Active" of course, but you know how it goes.

Anyway, maybe I'll see you guys in Manchester this June.  I attended an Appleseed in 2008 and came away with nothing but a Tshirt. I'd really like that patch...

TN_Dadx5

Maury County Gun Club in Columbia, TN has everything one would need for AS.  I'll see if I can get a contact.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

TNLadyPrepper

What ever happened with the conversations with MSSA in Shelby County? 

dart67eb

I was told last year by the club secretary that I could present it to the board, but it would be a waste of time.  Now that we have shoots at Desoto Pistol and Rifle, I'm going to see if I can shame them into it.

cadman

I currently live in Alabama, but for a short while (about 9 years ago) lived in Sparta, TN.  Earlier this year while visiting there, I went to a range north of Cookeville and talked to the owner about hosting an Appleseed.  He seemed willing to permit it; however, did not want to be responsible for managing the shoot as he already had a full plate.  Put some brochures on his counter and two customers picked them up, read them, and took them.

Range:   Bend of the River Shooting Center
            2880 Standing Stone Highway
            Cookeville, TN  38506
            (931) 498-2829

cpardue@multipro.com

Next time I'm up that way (likely Feb '11 or Mar '11), I'll contact Charlie again and see what can be done.  ANYONE IN THE AREA SHOULD FEEL FREE TO CONTACT HIM ALSO.  The more interest, the more likely he'll say OK and AS will have another location in middle TN.

BTW:  I think there are shooting classes offered at Tennessee Tech University that shoot here.