News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville Bootcamp

Started by linuxlost, October 23, 2007, 08:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

I just attended my first boot camp at Evansville. Of course the weather was crummy. But that was immaterial. It was an exhilarating experience to spend time, and to shoot with, some really great people whom I shall always remember. The Guy, sharing his experience, knowledge, and history, was fantastic. It was also rewarding to work at the Appleseed on the weekend, helping others, and seeing their marksmanship improving, as well as their appreciation for the patriots on April 19. I'm looking forward to improving myself and continuing this for a long time.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Hooters Billy

OK, I got them all uploaded. They appear to be in reverse order so the end of page for is the start of it and the first ones on page one are the last I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11170874@N04/
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

colonial shooter

Great pics, noone will believe that TG is sleeping at a BC! we have proof now ;D
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Old Dog

I don't know.  No ceegar, no wabbits, I'm not convinced.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Hooters Billy

LOL, that was not during boot camp. It was the very end of the weekend when the class was over and everyone was packing up to go home. Last pics popped up first. The other one TG just got done working on trigger control with another student, and then immediatley afterwards he then went on to do 327 sit ups while everyone went to go score their targets. It was either sit ups, or he was sitting up to reach forward to grab the cup of coffee at his feet and take a sip every time. Exercise and coffee at the same time? TG has found how to do it.
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

TwoGlock

Quote from: Hooters Billy on November 04, 2007, 12:49:03 AM
OK, I got them all uploaded. They appear to be in reverse order so the end of page for is the start of it and the first ones on page one are the last I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11170874@N04/
Great Pictures, thanks
   TwoGlock
After All Is Said and Done
  More Is Said than Done

linuxlost

Well, I think I found the newest instructor.  So I take my son to his technology club meeting (4H).  Our youngest appleseed participant for the weekend is going to do one of the presentations.  Out of the bag appears a Garand. I'm almost certain the library staff was not expecting this. :)  He goes on to give a brief overview of the appleseed program.  Explains the basics of the Garand.  Acknowledges Veterans day.  Then demonstrates the three basic positions and sling use.  He did a fine job of it also.  I told him to get his parents to take him to a bootcamp.  It won't take much to get him ready for instructing.  Those 12 year olds are amazing.  I have to get him campaigning for Ron Paul.

The Guy

Garand?

Young shooter?

Sounds like success to me!

Now where is that coffee cup at.... ;D

Old Dog

Wow!  Where do you live that a kid can take a Garand to the library and not have people freaking out?  I need to look into moving there as the folks in your area seem to be way more down to earth than most places.

Good deal though.  It's always great to see kids getting excited about anything, but excited about learning to shoot better is special and will teach them things about themselves they will use the rest of their lives.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

linuxlost

Evansville is the place.  I don't know if they were pre-approved to have that particular type of technology.  Anyway he did a good job with his explanations.   Then his mom took the Garand to a safe place. 

BigPsy

Quote from: linuxlost on November 14, 2007, 12:29:33 AM
Evansville is the place.  I don't know if they were pre-approved to have that particular type of technology.  Anyway he did a good job with his explanations.   Then his mom took the Garand to a safe place. 

It was "sort of" pre-approved.  Mom carried in the rifle case, snagged the head librarian and told him what was going on, reassured him there was no live ammo, and away she went.  It probably helped that it was in the evening.  I'm sure if she phoned ahead during the day, it would have ascended some chain of command until someone said "Of course you can't do that,"  but this forced the guy on duty to make a snap decision.  And, as best I can tell, few people can tell my wife "no" to her face.  <g>

We shot mostly .22's at the Appleseed because of the cost of feeding 3 centerfire guns for the weekend.  But I had the centerfires and additional ammo in the truck in case we wandered over to the 300 yard range late in the training.

The boy in question was the one who abandoned the Williams Fire-Sighted 10/22 late on Saturday, and switched to a AR-15 that kept failing to feed.  It's a long story how that AR-15 came to be in that configuration, but it was a small pin upper on a big hole lower, with an adapter bushing to join them at the pivot point.  It was only when I was putting everything back in original configuration after the shoot that I noticed that the hole in that bushing is eccentric, and I must have had it in just about opposite the correct position.  That offset the upper just a bit higher than it should have been, which is why, I assume, the bolt kept over-riding the rim of the top cartridge.  You wouldn't think it would be quite that critical (perhaps 1/32 of an inch), but that upper and lower function like clockwork in their native AR's.  Lesson learned.

And I just tonight installed the Tech-Sights on the 10/22.  I ordered them in September, and they just arrived yesterday.

I suspect there might have been more grief had he taken an AR :o to the talk, but a Garand?  Why, that's an antique, and not nearly as dangerous an an evil black rifle. ;D

--Gene