News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla, TX: Air Conditioned Ice Cream Boot Camp Participant Report

Started by wilson, October 09, 2007, 12:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson

Davilla, TX: Air Conditioned Ice Cream Boot Camp
9/30-10/7

From the point of view of the participates.

Scout did a tremendous job rising to the occasion and saving the Texarkana BC by accepting to host it at his place in Davilla. This was a great blessing to our families as we had been planning to attend the BC for quite some time and had arranged vacation time for the event.
We especially appreciated his willingness to adapt the program to my wife and the four children we brought. From what I heard of the Ramseur BC we moved at about half speed.
Scout examined each target and each shot listening to the "talking targets" and translating them to his students. He was at the same time, patient and challenging to all the students encouraging them to persist and press on to the Rifleman's Standard. In the case of the children, ages 8 to 14, he offered the perfect amount of kindness, humor and firmness to get them over bouts of great discouragement (at times a tear or two was shed).
A man's family is indeed a powerful testimony of the man's character. Scout's wife was kind, joyful and giving. His five girls were sweet, obedient, helpful and extremely well behaved.
Scout is indeed a fine example of a Christian gentleman. He is an excellent instructor and raconteur of early American history as well as an expert in local Texas flora and fauna. I was personally challenged by his Christian example and his skill as an instructor.
We especially appreciated Mr. Fred's sacrifice to come out to Davilla for two days. He too is a moving raconteur of the April 19th story, "Where marksmanship met history and the heritage began...".  He also treated us to other history lessons from WWI and WWII, holding everyone's attention, reawaking our patriotic hearts. Fred gave us numerous leads to follow as we study American history. Although Scout had given us a false impression of Fred, by telling us that he was a stern stickler and a "grizzly bear", Fred forever dispelled that myth and endeared himself to the kids when he asked, "Who wants ice cream?" and produced some for each kid on the line!
My family and I have been teaching rifle, pistol and shotgun classes for the last four years at the rate of one every 4 to 6 weeks. We will be including more history in all our presentations and seeking places to spread the RWVA Appleseed program in Louisiana.
Best Regards to all.
Wilson and family
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

DragonWood

It sounds like you and your family had a great experience. It is remarkable that you made this a family vacation, speak about "A mans's family is a powerful testimony to a man's character." Most people can't get their kids away from the video games!
My hats off to Scout to have made this possible at the last minute no less!! Thank you Scout for stepping up to the plate. Looking forward to Davilla #2 in a few weeks!
As for Fred dispelling the myth of him being the grizzly bear....are you sure that was Fred offering the youngins ice cream?! ;D I think I remember something about a birthday cake at RBC4!!
Keep passing on the tradition. I have come to love the history part of Appleseed. I still know so very little but I continue to read and learn so that I can educate others as well.
Thanks for the great report, DW
Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. (George Washington)

Scout

The folks were all a GREAT bunch of folks. I could not have asked for a better group of people to spend a long hot week with. ;D

And four of the eight there shot riflemen scores. I look forward to seeing the two families again and shooting with them. I hope that they will continue to work on their skills and get an Appleseed program going there in Louisiana.

I know I will remain friends with the families and we will see each other again on the Appleseed trail.
Scout

My daughter was sitting too close to the line one day and got a nice semi-permanent reminder to watch out for hot brass. I don't know why the rounds shifted their landing point so far for some reason, but they went from six or seven feet away to right into her chair.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Muddogg

-The Muddogg