News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tap Command System

Started by AZRedhawk44, December 30, 2009, 11:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10989.0

This sticky mentions a "Tap Command System" to use with hearing impaired shooters.

At the last Buckeye AZ event we had a deaf shooter and had to rapidly improvise a communication method.  Not a terribly big deal, but I'm sure someone has already invented this wheel and I'd like to know a standardized way to get the job done.

I've searched the forum but I can't find any mention of "Tap Command System" here, except for that above thread suggesting its use:

QuoteNOTICE The Civilian Thread and The Tap Command System are currently under construction, but will parallel The Veteran's Thread.

Can we make the TCS thread visible so we have at least some form of well-thought-out reference, even if imperfect?  I'm sure even in its current unrefined format, it's better than what I came up with during my 30 second fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants improvisation.

RedNekEngr

Speaking on behalf of the Adaptive Appleseed group, this is still a work in progress.  Ishy, Lyberty, and I are charged with developing the hearing impared portion. We should be posting with some guidelines soon.  Depending on the shooter's hearing abilities, there can be multiple trails to follow as to which and how much tap commands, gestures, and signing is used.  Also the training and qualifications of the onsite AS instructors play into this.  Hopefully we will be wrapping this up in the near future.

RNE

See http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11294.msg92797
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

Panama

Thanks to everyone for their hard work here. I have one concern I did post here.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11294.0

Thanks.  The solution may lay with a product we're currently evaluating, see the hearing Impaired thread.  dr144
NRA certified Instructor
US Army Veteran

B9

Are the links in this thread dead? They come up as error. I know there is some IT work going on so maybe the links just got FUBARed?

The links for this thread are good.  Make sure you're not trying to pull up Adaptive Appleseed at: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=266.0 which is locked, and supposed to be in the Appleseed Lobby.  I gotta get back to the IT guys.  Tom
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

desertrat144

Dear Readers,

Thanks for stopping by.  If you have come or stumbled across an item that you think would fit here, please feel free to post it!

Thanks in advance,
Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

sgtrock

I have tried all the links provided and THEY ALL come up as ERROR,,, what gives,,, I have an hearing impaired boy that I will be working with today at my home range, to prepare him for 18-19 Sept,,, Are these links not accessible to shoot bosses or what,,,,

sgtrock

Unbridled Liberty

Maybe this will help (from the Adaptive Appleseed Manual):

Generally: First of all, there is no way around a hearing impaired shooter needing to know sign language and having their own interpreter with them at a shoot.

There are certain words common in American Sign Language (ASL) instruction for which there are no common knowledge "signs". Also there are a couple commands that have the same sign; if you "create or morph" signs for these instances, notify the Shoot Boss or staff member working with you.

For a potential hearing impaired shooter, there HAS to be some prerequisite work done with their interpreter before attending a shoot in order to make sure the commands are nailed down, and there are no delays for the hearing impaired shooter or other shooters during the actual AS instruction. Coming to the shoot "cold turkey" will lead to frustration for the hearing impaired shooter, interpreter, other participants, and most especially the shoot boss. This may lead to asking the shooter to return at a later date after they have completed the prerequisite work.
The shooter will need to download from the A.AS site the visuals showing the various command signs and tap command references. They will then need to practice on these signs/commands with their interpreter to make sure they are clear in their understanding of ALL before they attend the actual shoot. This is of the utmost importance for the safety of everyone at the shoot. It is not fair to everyone else if the shooter has not prepared accordingly. The other shooters should not have to suffer delays for lack of diligence on the hearing impaired student's part.

Rifle parts do not necessarily have signs. Therefore you will have to create signs for trigger, hammer, breech, etc. a) "LOAD" and "PREPARE" use the same sign. So you will have to create a new sign for "LOAD." b) Use the sign for "SHOOT" in the place for "FIRE."

The A.AS team will do everything in its power to clarify any discrepancies or questions the participant or instructors may have as long if we are contacted well enough in advance of the shoot as to not disrupt or add last minute confusion.
Significantly Moderate Impairments: Shooter & Interpreter must know the Tap Command System. You and your partner can add other commands as necessary, but you both must know them cold at the shoot. If the shooter can hear well enough during instruction without hearing protection on and/or with hearing aids, then additional tap commands may be added for "PREP START","PREP END", "LOAD", "READY", and "Stand Easy" to go along with "FIRE" and "CEASE FIRE" to be used during the Course of Fire (COF) while wearing hearing protection. Even with this, there may be too many tap commands to keep track of. You may have to use these commands in conjunction with hand signals or signs. Again, like with a hearing impaired shooter, prerequisite work for the shooter may be necessary along with notification given to the shoot boss.
Note: The interpreter will have and use eye and ear protection when on the line, be aware of ejecting hot brass, and aware of where the muzzle is.
Beyond Significantly Moderate to Deaf: Shooter will have an interpreter to sign the commands. The interpreter will be positioned in such a way that they can safely see the Line Officer, and sign the range commands to the shooter. Tap Command System will help here, as you can add taps for corrections, like dragging wood, etc.
Note: The interpreter will have and use eye and ear protection when on the line, be aware of ejecting hot brass, and aware of where the muzzle is.

Tap Commands
The following are the two tap commands to be used during the course of fire. All other commands are to be communicated via sign language. For "FIRE", one firm tap on top of the shooter's trigger shoulder. For "CEASE FIRE", three firm taps in the middle of the shooter's back. Note: the taps should not be so forceful as to inflict unintended consequences such as jarring the shooter enough to force a premature trigger squeeze, or destabilizing the shooter in such a manner as to force their rifle off target. For the other commands, the interpreter has to be located in a position that the shooter can clearly see them, the interpreter can hear the line boss at all times, and the interpreter is not violating safety rule number one "always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" by placing themselves in front of the shooter and thus in the line of fire. On stage one and four of the AQT, the interpreter signs "Load" since the shooter is able to see the interpreter. The interpreter will have and use eye and ear protection when on the line.

UB, thanks for catching this! dr144
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

The A.AS Board should be viewable by everyone, as it was shifted to the Public [side] Board view.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Unbridled Liberty

Tom,
sgtrock is correct; ALL the links posted here return the following:

"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

This is also the case for links in private messages.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on September 08, 2010, 09:23:30 PM
Tom,
sgtrock is correct; ALL the links posted here return the following:

"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

This is also the case for links in private messages.

I have an answer to part of the problem- Board Access is determined by Instructor Status- You have to be at least an IIT Officially there are exceptions made by waiver.  Not the best answer, but at least a partial cause. 

I'm not trying to dodge this particular bullet, but contact Fred, Scout and the Steering Committee members about this issue- REPEATEDLY.  This involves Both Safety and Training issues, so you have your arguments already, anything else you can introduce can only help.

I've tried to get A.AS Team members past this road block somewhat successfully, but...

The A.AS Entry Manual for the Hearing Impaired puts the onus on the attending shooter- there are rules & prerequisites to attend an AS.  While not the best solution, it was the fairest thing that we could come up with.  The whole manual is a work in progress, but the A.AS Team kept the flow and prerequisites to help the IITs, SBs Attendees, &c. to learn he expectations of them, and define a definite course of action acceptable within ADA & DOJ mandates.

If you are still having problems, PM me and I'll do my best to get on Tech Support to get it resolved.

Tom

Baminal

I'm relatively new to instructing, but the last couple shoots I have seen situations regarding body positioning and hearing effectiveness that made me want to check out the adaptive program for tips and hints.  Unfortunately, I also find that the links are blocked, even though I have IIT standing.

Any help in bring able to view this information would be helpful.

Baminal

Thank you for the comments.  Re: 'blocked' I'll contact IT.  dr144
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)