News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New place for an Appleseed?

Started by Mike38, December 21, 2009, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike38

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, that's why I'm asking. My son and I are going to an indoor .22 rifle shoot Jan 2, 2010 at the Sandwich Illinois Sportsmans club. Besides indoor .22 shooting, they have outdoor durring warm / summer weather. Should / could I bring up holding an Appleseed there for summer of 2010? Do I turn them on to this web site? Send them to Garand69? (Though I don't know how to contact Garand69) Or is 2010 filled up and I should mind my own business?  :D
"Iesus Nazarenas Rex Iudaeorum"

Gordon

I don't want to step on anyone's toes either, but I can say three things with complete confidence:

(1) By suggesting a new site for Appleseed events, you are not stepping on anyone's toes, and in fact I'm quite sure that the RWVA volunteers in Illinois and indeed across the nation are all grateful for your initiative.
(2) The 2010 calendar is absolutely not "filled up" -- far from it. In fact this is so far from the truth that, forgive me, I laughed when I read that! :)
(3) Garand69 is active on this site and will see your post very soon, and I'm sure he'll give you some good advice as to how to proceed. I'm also sure he wouldn't mind a PM from you on the matter.

Thank you for helping advance the program. New sites are crucial to the continued success of Appleseed.

OK I'll go back to minding my own business now :)
-FM

SamD

Mike38
O0

That's what we are looking for.
Now go find another 6-7   ~~:)

SamD

LayloPro

Mike,

this is the right effort.....and as you have probably been told, this is a -working- board.....which means you are doing the right thing, in the right place, at the right time..... ;)

Contacting G69 is as easy as sending him a PM......Just go to the pull down marked "My Messages", and when you find the "New Message" box, click it, then do a member search, and double click twice on the name you want, and it will put it in the correct place of your message. Close the search box, and draft your PM.

That was easy, eh? ^-^

And yeah, send Garand to them......it's what he gets the big bucks for...... **)

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

EEL

Mike38,
Pappy saw your post and PMd myself and G69.  As has been stated, bring it up, talk it up, give our contact info.  Gather as much intel on the place as possible.  Distance we can shoot, width of firing line, range fees, their contact info, etc.

My cell is 1-630-292-6452.  I can't be there on the 2nd, but if you want to contact me ahead of time, I can get you some fliers, intro stuff, and a current schedule.  If they want to talk to someone right then, have 'em call me!

Thanks for speaking up, it's actions like yours that make Illinois the hot bed that it is!!

EEL
(Bill)
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

Holy Cow, you folks are quick **)

If you would like some hand outs give me a yell and I will get them to you.  There is still room left on the schedule. Depending on the availble firing line we can do what needs to be done.

We are looking for an indoor venue for Appleseed, do you know the capacity of the firing line indoors??

G69
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Mike38

EEL, I'll write down your phone number in case any questions pop up when I'm there.
Garand69, I'm going to send you a PM with my mailing address. If you could send me some basic info to give to someone there, I will.
As for an indoor firring line at Sandwich, it's only 6 lanes wide. Not worth holding an Appleseed event.  :( But an indoor somewhere would be great, that's for sure.  I will find out how many outdoor lanes they have, distances, all the good stuff. I'm thinking about getting a membership there for myself, I need more trigger time.  :---

Mike38

Well my Son and I went to the indoor .22 rifle practice at the Sandwich Sportsmans Club today. Nice little place they have there, problem is the word 'little'. The indoor range is four lanes wide, and one of the directors there walked me out to the outdoor 25 meter range, and it's only eight lanes wide. Not enough for an Appleseed event.  :-[

I did put in a few good words about Appleseed, and left them with the information that EEL mailed to me. Maybe a few members of the SSC will attend an Appleseed in 2010?

On a side note, the 10/22 I got my Son for Christmas worked well. He shot five rounds from a bench rest, and all five were with in the 9 ring of a ten meter air pistol target we were using. I can't remember the last time I had a new rifle that was even close with the iron sights. We didn't even have to move them a bit. He shot around 100 rounds threw it without a hic-up. Then he shot a couple mags out of my 22/45 pistol, and my late father's Single Six, and we called it a day. Now it's time for a trigger job and Tech Sights for the 10/22, and hit a couple more Appleseeds this summer. I'm going to get that kid a Rifleman patch yet! 

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Mike38 on January 02, 2010, 09:44:31 PMNot enough for an Appleseed event.  :-[

IMO, there is no such thing as 'not enough'.  If you folks in IL can set up an indoor winter AS for eight or 12 shooters, you've taken the first steps in opening up the minds of eight or 12 Americans.  They will tell their friends and family members, and the snowball begins to build.  Likewise for the outdoor 25m range.  Appleseed events don't have to be overwhelming as far as the number of attendees.  In fact, GMB74 from VT holds 'mini' indoor Appleseed shoots every Monday night in a converted mobile home - four shooters at a time.

All I'm saying is it can be done, it can be productive, and it can be effective.  Talk w/ the instructors and state coordinator from IL and I'm sure between the lot of you you'll come up with a plan of action that works.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore