News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL December 12,13 2009

Started by ItsanSKS, December 14, 2009, 07:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

As is always the case, my trip home from this past weekends' Appleseed in St. Augustine was a somber one, knowing that it would be several weeks before another opportunity to mold my fellow Americans into Riflemen.

As I drew ever nearer my destination, the memories of all the struggles, tribulations, successes and accomplishments began to filter through my meloncholy, and have left me with a grin likely to stay with me for quite a while.

Memories such as the drizzling rain on Saturday, which turned our target line into a muddy mess; of how the rain seemed to soak into every crevasse, leaving none dry, and leaving tempers short; of how, despite the weather, 23 patriots showed up; of how, despite this being his first Appleseed, and never before having seen an AQT, Jordan was able to make Rifleman; of how so many were *SO* close they could taste it... Or, how Terry and Stephanie, repeat (5th times the charm!) Appleseeders finally made their scores, were awarded their patches, and nearly ripped the Orange hats out of my hand..  Of that 242 score- yikes! Or how Rob, an 11yr old with nerves of steel, made a best score of 201 on Sunday- so close he could taste it!

I could write for hours on the events that transpired this past weekend; but I find that the whole thing can be summed up in one paragraph:

This past weekend, Americans learned about their history and their Heritage.
This past weekend, many found out for the first time, what it means to be an American- the Debt, the Duty, the Honor.
This past weekend, our Founders were Remembered, and were Honored.
This past weekend, Riflemen were molded from man, woman, and child.
This past weekend, Sleeping Patriots were awakened.
This past weekend, we held an Appleseed!

-ItsanSKS

A special thanks to ColyCat, Gopher Boy, Jollymeister and Jollynator for answering the call- this event wouldn't have been the same without you!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Garand69

That wasn't rain ItsanSKS...

It was tears of joy running off the cheeks of our Founding Fathers in Heaven  :cool2:
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

willorith

Terry, Stephanie-

I am deeply moved by your elevation to Rifleman status. I am also very happy to welcome you into the instructor ranks. the program can only get better with you guys on board.
We are but human.

colycat

I just got home after touring historic Saint Augustine, the oldest city in the country. I will post pictures and a comment or two about this great Appleseed tomorrow, after I get a little sleep. O0

ColyCat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

douglas34474

Saturday started out overcast, but we were dry when we set the line up. As Colycat gave the six steps, overcast turned to rain. While we call it "liquid sunshine" herein the Sunshine State, it's still WET. Target backers became card board mush and had to be replaced throughout the day. Despite this and the resulting disruption to the schedule, ItsanSKS adopted, preservered and overcame in true Rifleman spirit. He brought off in great form what could have been a real disaster. I think our team worked fantastic together to bring this event off and if tempers got short it never showed. I saw no signs of ego showing and we all supported one another.

Terry and Marie are friends of Clinnon and she invited them to attend our event. Marie did not want to shoot, telling me she did not know how to use a rifle, having only shoot handguns. I told her that she was what we were are all about; teaching people to shoot who had never done so before. She did great on the line and soon became comfortable with her rifle and shot very well.

Terry wrote me this email:

"Thanks so much for introducing us to Appleseed. I've signed us up for Starke, so you'll see us again on the 13-14th. I hope Clinnon is coming. In the meantime, I'll be working on my back so I can get into that prone position. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you in February. Have a great Christmas!"

I can't think of a better return for our time and efforts.

Steph and Terry, what can I say? When Steph scored her AQT and exclaimed ''I GOT IT", there was a grin on her face that that just would not stop. She just absolutely glowed with pride. She said that now she understood why she had seen that same grin on the faces of others as they got their RIFLEMEN patch. I told Terry that he would have to COOK if he did not get his 210 that day; no pressure here. He push on, dug deeper and got it. You know, he got that same grin on his face too. Both put on their orange hats without a moments hesitation, wearing that same grin.

The moment that made to entire, fantastic weekend worth every hardship we endured was the look of true pride and adoration on the face of 11 year old Rob when his father Chris relieved his Rifleman Patch with a 242 score. That moment was truly priceless.

To my fellow Instructors, I am proud to have worked with all of you to make this event happen and look forward to the next.

I cannot thank Gopher Boy enough for his aid in getting Sean and I to the shoot. Without his extra efforts we would not have been able to attend. Thank you Sir, I am in your debt.

Keep your powder dry.

Douglas

willorith

I would have liked to see Stephanie's dimples light up when she earned her badge. I am very proud of her and her husband, Terry.
We are but human.

RickB

Congratulations one and all--but especially Terry and Steph.  I listened to my voice mails late Sunday night and there were two from Steph--bubbling over at having both made rifleman and gotten their orange hats!  You guys are great!
RickB

Gopher Boy

What a great shoot.  The weather was even like Illinois in the summer.  ;)

4 rifleman, and a ton a new friends made in summer like weather in the middle of December.  What a great way to spend a weekend.  Hopefully I can make it back soon. 

Congrats to our newest Rifleman!

Terry and Steph,  The new definition of persistence.  Congrats on the Orange Hats.

I really want to thank everyone for the warm hospitality of Florida.  I had a great time.

G.B.

PHenry

GB,
U come back anytime sir - ya hear. Thanks for the help.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

colycat

Rifleman on Saturday

The line

The instruction never stops

talking targets hand out

Gopher Boy

The other side of the line
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

PHenry

You see what happens when I miss and event! I have yet too see an "Aug" at any event! Dang! I do see that he was "slingless" though - musta been first thing Sat AM.  :cool2:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

colycat

Pictures from Sunday

Morning briefing

Review of Safety

Carding with B and D

ItsanSKS at lunch

Jr Rifleman patches

3 more Rifleman and 2 new IIT's

Hot Florida sun

3 rd strike

The whole crew with the new IIT's