News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

History from the French and Indian Wars thru to April 18-19 1775

Started by snake284, May 05, 2009, 03:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snake284

OK I don't know how many of you know me, but probably none or maybe a couple of you. I'm so new the paint ain't dried. Anyway, I went to my first AS event in Corpus Christi on Apr. 18th. They worked me pretty hard considering I'm well overweight and handicapped. But talk about feeing good about something. And the History lessons we had that day were great. I wish we could just spend a whole day on history. Anyway, I'm an online student at Kaplan University. BTW it's about as liberal as they come. Talk about revisionist history, man you wouldn't recognize what they're talking about. But one of my classes this term, which actually ends tomorrow night officially, was called Freedom and Justice. When I signed up for that class in February, I thought man this is gonna be different. Maybe even patriotic. Well my first couple of days into it blew that theory for me. No, same old liberal revisionist thinking. It was so liberal it was off the radar. But for my final project I chose to do it on "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!" The famous speech of Patrick Henry. His words were so stirring, it would damn near bring the dead to arms. The last lines of his speech were:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Colonial Williamsburg @ http://www.history.org/almanack/life/politics/giveme.cfm (Retrieved on 04/27/2009)

In my paper I outlined all the events leading to the Revolution starting with the French and Indian War beginning in 1754
Social Studies for kids @ http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/ushistory/revolutionarywartimeline.htm (Retrieved on 04/27/2009)   all the way through to the first Continental Congress and on to April 18 and 19, 1775.. History Central @ http://multied.com/revolt/ (Retrieved on 04/27/2009)  I tell you, I know I was exposed to all this history back in my high school days in the 60s and my first attempt at college from 1967 through 1972, but time blurs the memory. This gave me the opportunity to relearn the events leading up to Lexington and Concord really well. I did a fair amount of research and went over most of the main events pretty thoroughly. But all it did was make me want to learn more. I wish we could inspire the kids of today to catch fire for a quest of knowledge of this time in history as I was. Anyway I just thought I'd share it with you. Searching on the internet for history is very simple and just takes a few hours. If we can inspire people to go there, we would start a tidal wave of knowledge flowing across this country and in no time we would be well into reaching a goal of educating the people of the U.S. on our heritage. Maybe that's something that could be encouraged at AS events. Maybe give out some papers with websites on them and get them interested. It doesn't take much to inspire interest in the story of our country's heritage. It's very easy reading because it's just so interesting.
Ignorance and Arrogance just Don't Mix!

Son of Martha

Good idea, good links.

Thank you.

In my history presentations, I usually point out that American history really starts with the capture of Quebec, and then go from there.  Also try to tie in the idea that the founding generation's ideals did not spring from whole cloth, that these ideas were the culminating point of western political and social theoretical development.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

CaptG

Snake,
Thanks for the links. Good stuff.
I don't know if you've run across it, but "The Minute Men, The First Fight - Myths and Realities of the American Revolution" by John R Galvin is another great source. A really good look at the history of militia and the Minute Men back to the Plymouth Colony and Mass. Bay Co. It's the best explanation of just how developed the post rider/warning system really was that I've run across. Also tremendous detail of which Militia/Minutemen units were where on Apr 19th.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

Colorado Pete

Read 'Northwest Passage' by Kenneth Roberts for a fascinating peek at Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers, with emphasis on the nearly unbelievable St. Francis expedition in late 1759. Once you have read that you'll want to read everything else Roberts wrote (recommended: Arundel, Rabble in Arms, Lydia Bailey).
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

featherblue

American history is key to the success of RWVA and the Appleseed project, IMHO. I have always been a history buff and Fred's SGN columns got my attention big time with the subliminal messages. Connect the dots. Wake people up and expose them to OUR history, OUR herritage.

Thanks for the links snake.

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

POP

Great Post Snake!   O0

I liked the Social Studies for Kids Like US website.

Are you going to give the first strike in corpus this weekend?   &)

Looks like you are well on your way towards joining the IIT crowd.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

snake284

Oh come on Bro Pops! I'm just getting back into the history lesson. You and I both know right here some of these guys commenting on my post are way ahead of me at this point. You too Pops. You are my Appleseed mentor and I will always be greatful to you for showing me the light. I'm new at it and admit, like all people new to something am a bit inspired. Now if I can keep that inspiration up I'll be truly happy. But you Pops are the man! I wish more people here knew what a credit you are to Appleseed, not only Appleseed, but to your country which you love so much. You and your other half are a credit to this nation and just may be a big part of saving it.
God bless you my brother!

snake284

PS-Pops and I have known each other since right after God turned the lights on. I tell people I never remember meeting Pops, we were just both there when we were brought to light. Our parents were the best of friends and Pops and I are the same age. As long as I've been alive and knew anything, Pops has just been there. It's like family. And now 60 some odd years later, he's my Appleseed mentor. How bout them apples?

Rundownfid

As Colorado Pete says, Rex Roberts is a gem.  He has excellent books set in Colonial America and has a very readable style.  Highly recommend as top rate fiction.