News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boy Scout Appleseed

Started by Appalacious, February 03, 2010, 10:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

Hey gunville,
Glad you brought that up.

I'm going to save Fred some time.
Go for it!  O0

AdamSelene

I dunno about a badge by itself, but while it currently cant contain everything needed for a merit badge, and Appleseed should cover most of the Rifle Shooting merit badge and the history section should cover some of Citizenship in the Nation.
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.           -Plato

Fred

Sam, thanks for saving me some time... :) :)

You guys are on to something in this thread.

Let's not let the effort die out.

Has anyone asked for a "show of hands" as to who in this program are Scouters?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

POP

The South Texas Council BSA has been receptive to talking with me but, still it comes down to STC wants to do it by the book which means NRA Instructors and RSOs and by their COI. 

I have the NRA RSO Cert and should take the NRA Instructor course sometime soon (it is not set up yet here in South Tex).  All this would allow me to teach the marksmanship merit badge privately and at Scout Camp ... again, by BSA's COI.

I am an Eagle Scout and was a Scouter for years when my boys were in BSA, and, would like to get back involved which is why I have struck up a relationship with the STC BSA.  The Scout executive here gave me the green light to put Appleseed literature on their rack at the store.  He likes the program and agrees that Scouts would do well to come to an AS event.

CHOICE
So, I have a choice:  Get certified NRA and work on making a difference in these boys' lives using BSA rules, invite scouts and families to Appleseed events, or change the BSA rules.  Me, in typical Northeast Texas (New England) Fashion,  **) I chose to do all three.  These guys are going to be running the country in a few years.  Scouts need what Appleseed can teach them regardless of the HAT we wear BSA, NRA or Appleseed.

Keep up the push to change the BSA rules.  From my experiences in Scouting both as Scout and as Scouter, Appleseed is a whole lot more fun, a whole lot more interesting, and, a whole lot more educational.  Besides with Appleseed a Scout can really learn to shoot.  Bottom line:  AS turns out much better citizens.   O0

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

eaglescouter

Fred,

I'm an Eagle Scout, Venturing Crew Advisor, Past Scout Master, and a member of the District Committee.  Appleseed literature is posted in our local Scout Office and our Executive should be at an Appleseed this year.

I'm committed to righting the ship known as BSA.  It's worth it for the kids.

es

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Appalacious

Quote from: eaglescouter on February 08, 2010, 01:06:24 PM
Fred,

I'm an Eagle Scout, Venturing Crew Advisor, Past Scout Master, and a member of the District Committee.  Appleseed literature is posted in our local Scout Office and our Executive should be at an Appleseed this year.

I'm committed to righting the ship known as BSA.  It's worth it for the kids.

es

This is why I love Appleseed.  We have the best with us.
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

SamD