News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How about another Maine Appleseed?

Started by MaineMarshal, December 03, 2009, 10:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineMarshal

It seems I missed a Maine Appleseed and I am hoping to get the plans for another going if at all possible.

For those who were involved with the last one, based on your experience with that what do you see as the best way to get the next one started?

Do you think a different host should be sought or should the same host be approached again?

Again, based on the experience of those who got the first one successfully going here in Maine, what is your suggested approach to the next one?

Maine Marshal

Firewall99

We have two venues in Maine now:

• Skowhegan, which is near Augusta
  • Columbia, which is up past Bar Harbor

All you need to do to have a new shoot at either of these two venues is to set a date with them.  For a shoot at Skowhegan, contact Jim Whittemore at (207) 449-9070.  For one at Columbia, PM SeanO.

When you have a date for either, PM me, and I will prepare the 2010 EIP for the shoot and get it on the schedule.

We have a bunch of new IIT's up there, so getting it staffed shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, Mr. Phelps...
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

MaineMarshal

Thank you!  I am in Ellsworth and am familiar with the location of both municipalities.

I will contact SeanO and hopefully we can get another one set up.  I've been spending the last few hours watching some of the RWVA/Appleseed Project video clips on youtube and I am sure there we can find a lot of folks who want to attend another one and get that same message and shooting opportunity in Downeast Maine.

Maine Marshal

The Old Guide

There will be a shoot in Down East Maine in April, 2010. I'm verbally signed up with SeanO and will soon log in to sign up in writing.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

SeanO

Good morning,

There's been a change here on the Maine thread - for now at least, I'm the acting moderator.

First, I want to thank Firewall99, Appleseed's head guy in New Hampshire, for stepping in up till now to help out in Maine.  One of Appleseed's hardest working and most generous promoters, he's done a great job getting his state up and running.  Of course, I'm hoping that our Mainiacs will enter into a holy competition with NH to the great benefit of our states and our country.

As advertised, there'll be a shoot on April 17/18 at the Pleasant River club in Columbia, Maine.  I'll be shoot boss and am hoping to have our own Maine orange hats helping out.

As not yet advertised, I've contracted to have an Appleseed table at the Biddeford gun show the weekend after the Columbia shoot.  I'd like some help spreading the Appleseed gospel to the great unwashed.  It should be a lot of fun - I'm sure you know that there's lots of gunnies in our state.  Our goal is to have at least one shoot per month somewhere in Maine.

Here's my contact info outside of the forum:

home phone: 207-359-5560
email:  seanor3@myfairpoint.net

Lemme hear from you.  Best,  Sean O'

If you can't find a way, make one.

Another D.O.M.

It's good to hear that Maine is staying active on the Appleseed Trail.  And thanks a bunch to Firewall99 for helping to keep things moving forward!

I'll be keeping an eye on your shoot schedule.  It's been many years since our last vacation trip to Maine, and I wouldn't mind heading up to work a shoot and then spending the following week in OOB or Portland.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

The Old Guide

I guess it's time for me to formally sign up for the Colombia shoot. I don't know anything about the facility, but if a warm, dry well lighted office is needed, I'll have it with me.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

SeanO

Great to have you coming!

The "Office" might come in handy if the weather isn't great.  It sounds super-spiffy.  I'm also interested in your computer smarts.  I'm not sure how to incorporate them into a shoot, but I'm sure that you'll come up with some ideas once you see how we operate.

Thanks for checking in.  I'm really looking forward to the Big Day.  Keep in touch.

Best, Sean O'

Whisker

I may have a contact in SW Maine.

I'm sure you're familiar with your local celebrities... Carolyn Chute.

I'll be sending her a letter to see if she would be interested in helping set up a shoot in that area, SW maine.

Of course, if there are plans in the works I can keep my nose in the midwest.
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

SeanO

Hi, Whisker

Yes, I know who Carolyn Chute is.  I enjoyed "The Beans of Maine" too many years ago.

We're really short-handed here in Maine - I'm the only Red Hat.  I'm hoping to train up some Orange Hats this season, but until they're up and running, it's best not to overbook.

I'll be manning a booth at the Biddeford gun show the weekend after Patriots Day;  then I'll have a better idea of where and how we'll develop.

Thanks for thinking of us.  Those of us who don't enjoy a prominent place in the national consciousness must stick together.  There's "Flyover Country," and then there's DownEast Maine.  But hey, that might not be so bad these days....

All the best to you and yours,  Sean O'

crak

Don't worry, SeanO.  As long as the dates aren't 4/19 weekend, the rest of New England will be happy to come up and return all the favors you've done for us down here.

Besides, lots of shoots is the way all of those native Maine IITs will turn their hats red and green.
Check your drama at the door.

TOMINCT

Ditto on what crak said. Out of staters can find out if there really are trees in Maine while they are there.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

SeanO

Thanks, guys.  You don't know how relieved I am to know that the cavalry is charging over the hill....

Firewall99

Quote from: crak on March 02, 2010, 05:55:33 PM
Don't worry, SeanO.  As long as the dates aren't 4/19 weekend, the rest of New England will be happy to come up and return all the favors you've done for us down here.

We've got your back, Sean.  Go for it.
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

SeanO

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on February 26, 2010, 03:24:59 PM
It's good to hear that Maine is staying active on the Appleseed Trail.  And thanks a bunch to Firewall99 for helping to keep things moving forward!

I'll be keeping an eye on your shoot schedule.  It's been many years since our last vacation trip to Maine, and I wouldn't mind heading up to work a shoot and then spending the following week in OOB or Portland.

OOB or Portland?  Oh, man, that's Massachusetts!

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: SeanO on March 02, 2010, 10:01:13 PMOOB or Portland?  Oh, man, that's Massachusetts!
Dammit!  The MAP said I was in Maine!  I should've known when there were no moose in the campground...

I guess I need to expand my horizons a bit, huh?
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

SeanO

"The MAP said I was in Maine!"

Musta bin a gummint map!

We'll be happy to see you up here anytime.

Best, Sean O'

hightecrebel

I'll have to pay attention to when it ends up being. While I won't be able to attend unless for some scatter-brained reason it's held in December, I can certainly try to talk some of my family members into going.

Before I forget: Hello, my name's Cory, and I'm stuck well outside my beloved state due to the needs of the US Air Force.

SeanO

Good morning, Cory

We're having a shoot on the Patriots Day weekend (April 17/18) at Columbia Falls.  So we'll be using the promo, "Appleseed, from Maine to California," on our High Holiday.  How's them apples?

Your excuse for not attending is the only one I'm accepting, so you won't need a note from home.

My best friend was an Air Force brat, and, along with two of her sisters, served as an officer for 17 years.  Thanks for doing what you're doing - you've got your head and your heart in the right place.

Best,  Sean O'

The Old Guide

I'm finally confirmed for Columbia. Looking forward to it.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

SeanO

Yippee!  Yippee!

I hope that you're as jazzed about this as I am.

And bring your mobile "office."  Depending on the weather, it might come in handy.  At least to hang a big beautiful new Appleseed banner.

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call me at 207-359-5560.

Best, Sean O'

dwarven1

Quote from: hightecrebel on March 14, 2010, 05:50:47 AM
I'll have to pay attention to when it ends up being. While I won't be able to attend unless for some scatter-brained reason it's held in December, I can certainly try to talk some of my family members into going.

Before I forget: Hello, my name's Cory, and I'm stuck well outside my beloved state due to the needs of the US Air Force.
Well, Cory... The only scatter-brained reason I can think of for holding an AS in Maine in December is because people clamor for it - like they did last year in Athol, MA. Think you can shoot in a foot and a half of snow? I know 19 lunatics who did. If you'll be there to shoot, we'll be there to instruct.

I'll come up, too, Sean. Need a good excuse to stretch the dragon's wings air out the bike.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

The Old Guide

Well, that's a 26 by 8 foot wall for the banner and it serves coffee. I figure I'll have three 10/22s. One is an Appleseed model with the military sights, one scoped and a spare. That ought to do it. I bought a new Midway shooting pad at Christmas to replace my ratty old one. Then Midway had a half price sale on them. (crocodile tears) Could have had two for the price of the one I bought.

I'll bring the scoped M-14 just to play in case there is a little extra time Sunday afternoon.

When I bought my trailer it had been winterized. I flushed the fresh water system with a hose from the house, put new water in the tank and headed out to camp. Hey, this is Maine spring water that they pay a dollar a pint for down in the city. The first pot of coffee tasted like crap. Turns out the fresh water pump had some non-toxic antifreeze in the pump itself which I didn't discover til after the coffee was made. My coffee will be much better this year.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Maine MountainMan

As much as like like to shoot my first AS shoot in my own home state (Maine), Colombia Falls is a LONG WAY from Oxford County... I was thinking of going to the Dalton shoot over in N.H.

SeanO

Hey, MMM!

I'm gonna pass over in silence the fact that I had to go to, uh, Massachusetts for my first Appleseed.  And I'm not even gonna mention that I had to go back to, uh, Massachusetts for my second Appleseed - and to Vermont for my third.

And, of course, my humility - of which I am very proud - prevents me from telling you that I've worked a number of Appleseed events in Connecticut, New Hampshire and, uh, Massachusetts.  Or that I live DownEast in Hancock County.  Heaven forfend!

But I've thought it over - I'm not gonna rag on ya with stuff like that.  I just want to urge you to do what you can where you can.  I'm sure that your circumstances are different from mine.  What's important is getting off to a good start in the program.  Somewhere.  Just do it.

Now then, that being said, I've booked a table for Appleseed at the Biddeford gun show the weekend after Patriots Day.  That's down your way.  Maybe you can stop by and help out with that.  Looking forward to meeting you and hearing all about your first 'Seed at Dalton.

Best,  Sean O'

PS  And don't be so concerned about where you're going to attend your first Appleseed - hey, it's not as though you're bopping off to Hooters on your wedding night....  

The Old Guide

Being born before WWII gives you a different perspective. I have been asked to give a talk to about 150 people later this month.

A neighbor of ours, one Pvt. Bowers, served in the Revolutionary War and lived to a ripe old age. When he had white hair he met a young man named Bill Green who later lost a leg in the Civil War. Bill Green Pond in Lee is named for him. Bill Green knew Fred Dingley who happened to own the first Model T in our town. In his 80's, Fred had white hair when he told me about being Bill Green's neighbor and hearing Bill Green tell about Pvt. Bowers. Fred is gone now and I'm the white haired old man, but think about these men. Only four of us neighbors span the time from our Revolution to the present when we are at risk of losing our country.

I was in Chile in 64 the first time Allende, the Communist, tried to take over. I was in the Dominican Revolution in 1965 and served in Vietnam as a helicopter gun ship pilot. I am thankful for every day. People say I'm lucky. I don't believe in luck. I believe in Divine Providence. A few minutes ago the International Space Station rose in the northwest, right on schedule. I watched it until it was just beyond straight up when it went into Earth's shadow.

On April 19, I will fire a salute with my muzzle loader at Pvt. Bowers' grave. I'm not all that far from him. There are only two other men between Pvt. Bowers and me. This sprig of evergreen in my tri-corner hat is like the ones worn by the Maine men who marched off to earn our independence from England. They didn't win it. They earned it. They didn't know if they would ever see their families again, but the sprig of evergreen was a reminder that they expected to have everlasting life.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Another D.O.M.

My goodness - you've seen some things many of us can only imagine.

My father used to tell me stories of his life.  Born in 1918, served in WWII (returned from the south Pacific to Englend and came home across the Atlantic in a converted Hudson River steamer, of all things), owned the first Model T in town as well (a used one, but nonetheless).  The things that man saw come and go in his lifetime humble me.  He passed away several years ago, one month before his 90th birthday.

Every day I hope my life can be so full of - life!

Firewall99

Quote from: Maine MountainMan on March 16, 2010, 09:13:58 PM
As much as like like to shoot my first AS shoot in my own home state (Maine), Colombia Falls is a LONG WAY from Oxford County... I was thinking of going to the Dalton shoot over in N.H.

Dalton will welcome you with open arms.  You may get a high instructor-to-student ratio, to boot.  The Dalton Gang is NH's premiere Appleseed range, because there is NO RANGE FEE.  Don and Nan donate their range to the cause, because they get it.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Maine MountainMan

Just curious, and I understand the answer may be location specific.
How much of the event can be shot with a 22lr? If my wife comes along too, that would mean quite a bit of 7.62 and .556.
I'm a handloader too, but the way things are looking, I'd like to hang on to as much of my centerfire ammo as I can... :cool2:

SeanO

MMM

The 22 is the Appleseed rifle of choice.  Specifically, the Ruger 10/22, dubbed the LTR - the Liberty Training Rifle.  There's a thread - maybe the longest one on the forum - devoted entirely to the topic.  And you'll find all kinds of other posts on that subject if you do a search.  

One of the reasons why Appleseeders recommend the 10/22 is the fact that the low cost of ammo takes away the excuse that it's too expensive to practise.  And...the skills learned on the 10/22 are readily transferable to the centerfires.

Best,  Sean O'