News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Glen Helen, CA November 14-15 Appleseed

Started by NewMOe, November 16, 2009, 07:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewMOe

The first Appleseed held at the West End Gun Club was a great success. The hospitality of the Range and the location provided a truly unique experience for myself and the other IIT'S.

The range assigned to us was .22 cal only, however the range was fully covered with concrete floor, enclosed on three sides
and full coverage overhead. Bruce the president of West End Gun Club was with us to provide us with not only target stands but assistance (muscle and sweat) in the Saturday morning setup, thank you Sir !

We were provided with a generous amount space for lunch time history under shade trees with lots of seating provided by West end. Parking was convenient and a very short walk for the attendees.

Saturday went well with good attendance, 15 on Saturday, with 6 on Sunday. many new faces and two from previous Appleseeds intent on qualifying.
It is always a warming experience to see past participants arrive, it says a lot about their experience with the program and their commitment to succeed.

After registration and setup, a "circle up" was called to have the pregame briefing and introduction to the Appleseed project. Bruce was there to explain the rules of His range, always good to know the hosts list of acceptable conduct before the event not during, even better when we have the opportunity to have the president of the club provide the range rules.

After our safety briefing, and explanation of line commands, we cleared the line and the shooters engaged their Red Coats.
Some shooters provided great results but we all agreed that opportunity for improvement was available to all, and improve our group did. Here are the stats for day one.

Red coat scores for Saturday morning;
400 , 0
300,  2
200,  3
100,  3
head shot 2
And seven with 0 hits

Saturday evening 11 left for the shoot
400, 1
300, 1
200, 4
100, 5
head shots, 4
0 with 0

Squares, everybody loves squares, then on to more Technique.
Excellent instructor to student ratio with two students to each instructor, excellent opportunity for those in need extra support on the line.

Bruce of WEG came back to check in on how we were holding up and again offered his support, it is always a good feeling to know the range we use has our back. Thanks again Bruce !!

Sunday morning;
We started with six for the day and that dropped to five at the end of the day. No problem the tough and persistent shall and did prevail.
Red coat scores for Sunday;
2 cleared their red coats, Dad and Daughter team, Mike and Madison.   :)
2 400
1 300
1 200
2 100
4 head shots

Sunday PM,
0 400
2 300
2 200
1 100
3 head shots

We had two from Sunday qualify Web_Guy_Mike scored a 210 just after lunch and Brando Scored a 216.
Both are returning Apple Seeders and have shown the persistence to achieve Rifleman!!
It was an honor to watch Mike accept  his patch but to present a patch to My Son Brando was a truly moving
experience for me. Both of these Men have worked hard over the last year on there techniques and skills for this achievement and their efforts were rewarded by their scoring.
Both of the gentlemen stepped forth to accept an orange hat and become IIT's. O0

We are confident that the others, with persistence, will achieve their goals.

Over all an excellent event with good turn out at a great range. We look forward to our next event at the West End Gun Club.
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

LayloPro

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

NewMOe

geting a timed out while uploading the Pic's,, Stoopid internets !@#)
one at atime,,,
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

NewMOe

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

22calgal

What an amazing shoot at West End Gun Club!  This is our home range, and we felt even more at home with our Appleseed brothers and sisters.  There are plans to schedule many more shoots at West End, and a member needs to be present at each one...awww!  Yahoo!

We had some great shooters and persistence was the word for the weekend.  Saturday was beautiful while Sunday was a wee bit breezy with a chill.  Everyone persevered and worked hard.  Does it get any better than this?

Happy Thanksgiving to all Appleseeders!  My husband Mr22calgal and I are going shooting on Turkey Day at West End.  What better way to honor our forefathers and mothers that day?

Jackie
22calgal
Jackie Young, Proud to be American

NewMOe

Had to, could not resist on that one AsMinuteman, got your good side !!

LayloPro

*Eyeing LLP*....You know

Heh!! I have not yet -begun- to post....and pix will be coming...... &)

Seriously, this was a fun shoot, and an inaugural event here for AS @ West End Gun Club....the club president, Bruce, spent much of the weekend with us, watching, assessing, and basically being very impressed by the "professionalism" of the Instructors....And we were just as impressed with both the facilities there, as well as the folks we had come to instruct..... <:)

Two RM, with both taking the hat, and being welcome additions to the "IE family" made it a standout event....  O0
The IIT's were a joy to work with, and kept things moving along as instructed.....We had fun, the folks that came to shoot had fun, and those who returned for the Sunday "Whooped Cream" edition can certainly brag on it to their friends & family..... 8)

One of our returning warriors, Mike, who was also our 210 shooter on Sunday, brought his daughter Madison again with him.....she has truly grasped the "family values" concept of AS, and brought a poem she had written with her for Sunday's portion.... I asked her if she would mind if I published it here, and she replied that she would be very proud if it was.....
so here it is:

"Appleseed Project
By Madison

What do u think of when you hear Apple seed?
Some think of Johnny Apple seed.
Others like myself think of RWVA's Apple seed project.
RWVA's project changed my life.
It made me believe that I could actually do something.
In a state with tight gun control I still had fun.
At an Apple seed I shot my first rifle,
And I wasn't afraid.
The Instructors helped me A LOT,
With their constant support that I could be a Riflewoman.
With the steady hold factors, that I would never have thought of on my own.
My Dad and I would have never known how to use a sling.
I probably would have been afraid to shoot a rifle before the Apple seed.
But now I beg my Dad to change his plans so we can go shoot.
I guess what I am getting at is I love Apple seeds.
My first Apple seed I didn't know what a Rifleman was.
My second Apple seed I was 11 points off from being one.
My first Apple seed I had an effective range of 100 yards.
My second Apple seed I had an effective range of 200 yards.
Now I get a thrill out of shooting Big guns.
Before I didn't know what a 10/22 Ruger was.
Now I even know what a Mini-14 is.
Before they were just guns in my Dad's safe.
Now I want bigger ones.
Now I can't wait for the next Apple seed.
All the new friends I've met.
Friends I can actually talk to about stuff like this.
Instead of stuffing it in the closet like it never happened.
Thank you Apple seed people." 

That really kind of sums it up, doesn't it? Since Madison is 16 now (I believe??) it is notable that this Sunday, both she & her Dad started the days' Redcoats by clearing them....not a bad start to the day at all....And she sees what it is about the folks who get off the couch, and come to an Appleseed event....
I fully believe we will be hearing a -LOT- from this young lady.....
And Mike should be one of the proudest Dad's here in the Southland....he has every right to be.... O0

I do have some pictures...the camera was working well this weekend....give me a bit to get all the SB stuff done & mailed out, & I will indulge in the "regular film fest"...... ;) :))

Stay tuned!!

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

DesertDog

Great shoot :~

I guess it's sad and good that I didn't recognize over half of the IIT's.  We'll get a chance to meet at the Christmas party O0
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

demnogis

This weekend's AS was a blastie-blast! It was my 2nd event and I want to say thank you to all the instructors and West End Gun Club for providing an excellent friendly venue.  It was excellent to see so many show up for the "whooped cream" edition on sunday (as laylopro puts it).  Thank you all for putting the event on! I look forward to becoming an IIT. :))
Demnogis, Dem, Brando, B, Moe's son... Any of these work.

LayloPro

All righty now.....
I still have stuff to mail, but this is also important, so we'll get this done, & deal with the rest tomorrow morning.....

Most of the detail stuff has been covered....all I have to really throw in the pot here are some observations, and pix....

1st, being an inaugural event @ West End Gun Club, we had a blast!! :~ :~
Even with "just" the 22 only range, we were able to put across the Riflemans' ideas, and put forth the points needed for the shooters to carry away with them to practice until the next AS in the area....The range Prez, Bruce Strang, spent most of the weekend with us, being a hawk to protect his club.....When I spoke with him this Monday, he re-iterated how impressed he was with our presentation, & comportment, and complete safety awareness & control......
Yeah!!

2nd, our "new" guidelines of having the Red hats do the initial presentation is something I think will help speed things along, as well as clarify for the shooters, what exactly, is expected of them..... O0 <:) O0 Right there with ya!

3rd, having so many IIT's at an event that they are literally tripping over each other is a -good- thing......each one had their bit to do, and each had been admonished (gently) that they needed to do their bit to the best of their capability.....from the -very- seasoned couple of Justin & Liz (Scavenger & Recruiter), to our newest of them all ( DChang0, & S.Farmer), -all- of them got to spend some time in the "Instructors barrel".....
It's all good....good growth from each of them.....
Let's see, we had: Recruiter, Scavenger, 22calgal, MR22calgal, ASMinuteman, NewMOe, DChang0, S.Farmer.....anybody I left out? Besides a couple of folks like Nora, (NewMOe's 11 yo daughter), and Victor, who arrived with his wife not to shoot, but to see if they could help out for a bit, while they checked out the range to see about becoming members....they -all- had something they did, or just helped each other with.....
I kept looking around for my fellow red/green hats to see if any of them wanted to chime in with anything, but it was just me by myself in the red..... :o

My heartiest congratulations go to our two new Riflemen, Mike & Brandon....these guys have fought hard & well for their patch, and when asked what they thought should be the next step, held out their hands for their "orange hat of destiny"..... Having NewMOe be the one who presented his son with his patch & hat made for a very touching moment.....having done that one myself w/ PhoneProne, LTDang, & Dirty130, there was no way I would deny NewMOe the fatherly pride of doing it himself. O0 :'( <:)
And Madison ( of the "A.QT-Monster'" fame) was pretty choked up herself when her Dad was presented with first his patch, then his new cap to wear.....I look forward to them being able to build a good family team as everyone gets on board.... <:) O0 <:)

Speaking of "family teams", we had two with us in the IIT group.....Scavenger & Recruiter are married, as well as 22calgal, & MR22calgal......this makes not only for a great bunch of gals helping teach, but also some serious team building.....it will be interesting to see where they each are before the 4/17/10 shoots..... 8) :o My bet is that they'll be at their own range, running an event..... O0 O0

Many of the participants were only able to do Saturday, leaving us Sunday with a focused, core group of shooters, bent on acquiring "whooped cream" status.....we did not disappoint them.....

With the shorter days, multiple target practices are not the "norm" of summertime, but we do with what we have available....all shooters increased in their abilities, and found some measure of improvement that made the event worthwhile to them.....and with that, and the Heritage & History at lunch, found they had participated in a very -full- weekend, with much to practice, and contemplate afterwards....I think we'll see most of them at the next one in Dec @ Corona...... 8)

We'll be setting up a schedule here at this range for 2010 in a month or so, so stay tuned....we are just getting started here.....and what a wonderful range it is indeed to be affiliated with!! As we've said before: "Just watch......."

So, how was -your- weekend?

LayloPro

LayloPro

More pix....

LayloPro

And....gee, mo' pix......how did we know?? ^-^

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

A.Q.T. monster

Hey its Madison (i'm finally on)
I'm 14...I am very very proud of my dad i knida think the poem is more about him as well as me cause he acually get rifleman on this 3ed appleseed. But i love apple seed all the love and support even after day one (wink wink calgal22) i had lots of fun on the 15th next time we need more oreos ;D and with all that support rifleWOMEN will rule lol jk. remember shoot like a girl
shoot like a girl... if you can
In a box

A.Q.T. monster

i think i need to add a few lines to my poem

In my third appleseed i was able to clear both red coats.
In my third appleseed my dad made riflemen
The fourth appleseed will be my turn
In a box

LayloPro

OK, Madison,

Which AS will it be?? The one in Corona this next weekend on the 12th & 13th?
Lots of gals working at that one......

Or the next Corona in January? I think the 9th is the day that pops up in my mind....

Let's see ya there!! <:)

LLP

BaldDragn

Quote from: DesertDog on November 17, 2009, 01:03:52 AM
Great shoot :~

I guess it's sad and good that I didn't recognize over half of the IIT's.  We'll get a chance to meet at the Christmas party O0

I was just thinking the same thing as I looked at the pictures.

Maybe we should start naming the people in the pics so we know who our fellow instructors are.

Ya I know, if I made it down to SoCal every once in a while I'd already know who they are. I'll be down in a couple months.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Camljr

If you do come on down to visit, You have a place to stay.

I have an extra bedroom for you and Jules!

It's the least I can do to return your hospitality...

Cam
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

A.Q.T. monster

i acually have varsity basketball games both weekends :(
muy sad...i wish i could come but after january 18 i can come to sundays. and untill well like 5 years from now i could go to a saterday unless i play in college then who konw when i'll make a saterday
In a box

asminuteman

A.Q.T. monster

if you called me Maddy bout a month ago i would of bit your head off...but my basketball team calls me that every day now so I'm over it. for konw it was late for me i had a long day. don't worry i only hunt down players on the court that's y I'm always so calm after i play  ;D i run it out. at AS i aim for the little V on the target  @)
In a box