News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yanceyville, NC Nov 14-15

Started by jmdavis, November 17, 2009, 09:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Yanceyville is always a smaller shoot. The range could support 25 or so, but attendence tends to be in the single digits. This shoot was no exception. Five days of rain from our most recent "Noreaster" along with closed roads along the Virginia/North Carolina border left me wondering what to expect. Traveling down from Richmond, the word was that I-85 could be closed due to high water at the Mehrrin River. And a number of State and County Roads on the Virginia side had been closed for a few days.

Any worries were unfounded. Everyone who had preregistered checked in on Saturday morning and we had two walk-ons as well.

The morning followed the standard for the most part. After a short welcome, bjneiman and I covered the four safety rules, and the definition of a "Safe" rifle and by 9:30we were shooting a Red Coat( 100-3,200-2, 250-0, 300-0, 400-0). The rest of the morning was spent on prone instruction, the six steps, NPOA, IMC, sight adjustments and several sheets of squares. Just before lunch, we shot a star target to break things up.

Over lunch we had the opportunity to cover premilinaries of the 3 strikes and the First strike.

We shot a couple of more squares targets after lunch while continuing to refine the ideas of the six steps and npoa as well as mag changes. With only six shooters (David, Matt, Philip, Bob, John and Jacob), we had the opportunity to really focus on individuals. That level of coaching began to pay off almost immediately.

Next came the Green coats. Each shooter posted two green coats side by side and starting at the bottom left we worked our way up. Next came sitting instruction and transitions.

We actually shot the first sitting stage at the 300m targets and the results were impressive. Most of the shooters were able to keep all of their rounds in the green for this stage. They didn't know that they were shooting at rapid fire prone targets.

We practiced sitting with a transition on the actual stage two targets and groups opened up a bit, but were still respectable.

Finally we introduced the standing position.

The right hand classifier was shot 10 round per stage like an AQT with mag changes but with only one target per stage.

We posted AQT's around 3:45 and shot our first stage by stage AQT. Although we had no riflemen on that AQT we did have all of the adults shooting 170 and higher.

As the sun began to sink behind the trees, we finished Saturday with another Red Coat (100-6, 200-1, 250-1,300-1, 400-1) and the benediction.

Sunday saw one new shooter (Johannes) and we lost Matt and David. After the safety briefing we shot another Redcoat (100-5, 200-2, 250-2, 300-1, 400-1). We spent the rest of Sunday morning on AQT's and really stressing NPOA, reviewing positions, and working on the finer points of follow through and calling the shot.

Lunch provided the opportunity to cover Strikes Two and Three.

The first AQT of the Afternoon gave us two more people "who know well what they are about." Brothers Bob and Philip shot 217 and 223 respectively. John and Johannes were shooting in the 190's and low 200's. After learning that a sniper uses a rest whenever possible, 11 year old Jacob became our designated sniper and shot several high 170 to low 200 scores. On the next AQT, Philip bettered his first rifleman score with a 227. He also agreed to take an Orange Hat.

An afternoon water break provided the opportunity to cover "Dangerous Old Men" as well as to reiterate the hard choices that the the founders had to make. After a rifle "chinese fire drill" we shot another AQT and then Bob, Philip and Johannes had to leave for long drives home. John and Jacob stayed for a last AQT. On that AQT,  John scored a 211 and expressed his desire to "get off the couch" and take an Orange Hat.

The final result was that everyone of the adults who shot both days earned a Rifleman's patch and two of them want to instruct. I have no doubt that Jacob will be back at Appleseed soon to become another of our "young" riflemen.

John has some photos and I hope to post them  soon.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Fred

Quote from: jmdavis on November 17, 2009, 09:27:21 PM
The final result was that everyone of the adults who shot both days earned a Rifleman's patch...

When this word gets out, people will start figuring "THIS is the Appleseed to go to!"

Good job! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

jmdavis

A couple of photos:

Skyhawk being presented his Rifleman's Patch

Bob getting his Rifleman's Patch

Should anyone wonder, I do know that my sunglasses look silly.  **)
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SkyHawk

When we first arrived I must admit I was a little scared as the other AS's attended in IL were larger.  Plus the amount of rain that had fallen on the area over the previous days from Ida left the range more than soggy.  BUT..the excellent instruction offered by jmdavis and his assistant bjneiman quickly erased any misgivings we had.  With the ratio of shooters to instructors at 3:1 we were working fast and hard (which also means we were all having a great time).  jm's passionate and knowledgeable telling of the events of April 19th, 1775 was not only enlightening and enjoyable to hear, but also motivating to the listeners as they reflected upon the heritage we Americans share and the sacrifices our forefathers made that should never be forgotten.  

All AS's I've attended (2 previous) have been a great experience.  But I have to agree with Fred, if a person wants to seriously boost their score quickly and in a big way on their journey to become a rifleman, this is the place to come!

Big thanks again to jm and bj...sure hope to see you both, along with the other new friends we met at Yanceyville, again on the trail.
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Stimey

I had every reason to believe that this was a fantastic location and would be a great shoot.  I want it pointed out, however, that this is a shoot that may not have happened.  With a notice of less than 36 hours, I was made aware that both the SB and the IIT scheduled for this shoot would be unavailable.  In two hours, I had six offers, counting myself, willing to take the job.  But jmdavis was the only other RI that was not committed to another shoot already scheduled, and he got bjneiman to come along for some great IIT experience.  As you can all see, they did a masterful job and in my opinion clearly deserve the first ever North Carolina Minuteman Award for their dedication in stepping up on such short notice and arriving fully prepared to manage a great shoot in a perfect location whose proprietors are so supportive of what Appleseed does.

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

SkyHawk

Congratulations to jm and bj....way to go!  They sure do exemplify the meaning of "stepping up" and on such short notice to boot! 
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Garand69

Excellent Work Yancyville & Crew!!!

Thanks for getting one my Illinois Shooters over the top , and getting him into an Orange hat, even though he brought the rains from the plains of Ottawa, IL!! . I can't wait to see the Instructor Flavor he brings back from NC O0

Congrats SkyHawk and fellow Rifleman O0

PS. jmdavis, don't worry about the glasses.....THEY GO GREAT WITH THE HAT!!!! **) **) **)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

steves4570

Now I really fill bad for missing this shoot :'( Yanceyville is the place to be.  Steve :~

Stimey

steves4570, you're in luck!  There's another shoot there on December 12-13.  Why don't you just head on up there that weekend?  It would be a great training opportunity, and I hear the owner even cooked breakfast for jmdavis and bjneiman! 
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

steves4570

I plan on being at the December 12-13 shoot. I just live 10 mins from range :D Just got called into work, 12 hour night shift.  Steve :~

Fred

Steve, shudda been no problem - I think that was a day-time Appleseed!

(Glad to have been of some help, clearing up that confusion - guess we should be more explicit: Sign up is at 8:30 AM... ;) )
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

steves4570

Anyone coming back for the Dec 12-13 in Yanceyville? It should be ether cold,wet or dry **) Steve :~

smwwoody

Steve,

see you there next week

Woody
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

VTMountaineer

I am planning to come back next weekend and just sent a PM to Instructor Scheduling.

Jacob will be in tow... Bound and determined to leave with his patch!