News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sept 19 - 20, '09 Corona, CA

Started by LayloPro, September 22, 2009, 05:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LayloPro

Well, another one in the can here......Yet another fun production @ Mike Raahaughes Shooting park.....filled with some truly great Americans, willing and eager to take all the sun could beat down on them, and -still- come back for more the next day.....

We started off Sat am (on time!!) with 32 of SoCal's finest.....attentive, respectful, and willing to do what we asked of them...."Let's go get 'em!!"

Our initial redcoat target showed that we had some great room for improvement, and off we went.....SHF's, 6 steps, target dancing & interpreting, trigger exercises, the "Zen of NPOA", laser blaster practice for those who did not quite understand that part yet, IMC, and corresponding sight adjustments, Ball & Dummy drills, carding, ALL OF IT!!......

We were met with better groupings on the squares by almost everyone..... :)

One mom was having a horrible time even trying to get on paper....I loaned her a 795 with a scope, and within 3 squares she was doing 3MOA groups....pretty impressive, this being able to see stuff, eh? :~

We had several folks with stock 10-22's, and after getting them to build solid positions, and good 6 stepping, we switched them to LTR's with Tech Sights....immediate & dramatic improvements....Thanks again to MrBill(frog) & RockChucker for the loan of their "gaggle" of LTRs'......but I still have to clean them all..... :-\

Lunch brought out some good stories of 4/19/1775, and we finished with the choices made, the sacrifices, and the remembering & honoring we should be doing for what these men & women did for us......We were also able to honor an Instructor who was spending his 30th Birthday on the range with us, working.....rather than going to a bunch of parties, he & his wife were out in the heat & dust & rocks to teach fellow Americans about the sacrifices of previous generations......now it's our turn...... O0 @)
We sang him a quick round of "Happy Birthday", and returned to the squares..... :~ :~ :~

We ended the day with an AQT, & a Redcoat, and even tho' our best AQT score was a 203, we had very happy shooters who were amazed that we had been able to bring them along so far, so quickly...... :o
As Fred says, that's a testimony to the Instructors!! Thanks a million, guys and gals!!...without you all, I would not be able to do a thing with this.....you make it work!! O0 <:) O0

Sunday morning found us with 19 folks returning to the line, and 3 folks that were there for just the day.....another quick Redcoat to see how much everyone had forgotten over night, and off onto squares we went for getting their "groove back"......more NPOA drills, carding, explaining, showing...the lights were going on.......

Sad to say, Sunday was even hotter than Saturday (95 vs 99), and the heat monkey was one that would not be denied....folks started to pack some of their stuff to be at different engagements, and after lunch and another AQT, we were down to 10 solid performers......as the heat sapped their energy & strength, we watched the corresponding drop in scores.....finally offering the chance to do "a few more AQT's & a redcoat", vs "one more AQT, Redcoat, and cleanup", they unanimously picked the cleanup....... :'(

I can't say that I blame them a bit..... $$-0

While we had no RM patches given out this time, I am confident that when they return in the next month or so, they will be far better able to turn in truly amazing scores, after practicing, and improving.....we have 3 more local events before Christmas around here, & I believe "they will make good use of them"..... <:)

All in all, a really nice event...I'm always sad to see everyone leave, as I police the range one last time.....but, I always know in my heart, God willing, I'll be back for the next one...... O0

So, how was -your- weekend?

LLP

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Mo pix

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Last of this weekend.....

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx LLP for starting this AAR. Also thanx for stepping up as shoot boss. This was a really great shoot O0 O0 O0
The IITs were fantastic ! as were the red hats . EVERYONE worked together so well the event went w/o any problems.
Of course having great attendees made our job easy as well.
It was an honor to work with staff + attendees . Really great all the way around.
I will post more later, My notes are buried somewhere &)
Semper Fidelis
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

absolute_polyphony

This was my first Appleseed and I can't wait to go again! I actually didn't want to leave at the end of sunday, we'd had a blast (no pun intended) and I know I learned A LOT. Thanks to all the Instructors who sacrificed their weekends in that crazy california heat and still gave us so much help and knowledge, really there are no words for the confidence you all built in me. I now feel I have a clue what I'm doing and if need be, can defend myself. Most importantly, it's good to see more people who are willing to fight for our freedoms before they all slip away, and honor those who have done so in the past, for without them, we wouldn't have any freedoms at all.
I know what I need to work on before the next Appleseed and hopefully I can improve and make y'all proud!

-Jessica
There is only black and white, no gray. Your either FOR freedom or your AGAINST freedom.

absolute_polyphony

Special thanks to Johnnyappleseed for the sling! you are awesome! and to Laylopro for letting me use your firearm and scope. we're ordering scopes now...
There is only black and white, no gray. Your either FOR freedom or your AGAINST freedom.

LayloPro

Thanks for the kind words Jessie.......

We do try to get the point across to folks about their rights.....and that if they will not defend their rights, then they won't defend themselves, as the two are intertwined....
Congratulations for "getting it" so quickly!! O0 O0

Did we mention this is not only a great Heritage program, wrapped up with an outstanding rifle marksmanship clinic, and also......(But wait!! There's more....!!) also a kind of "self help, & improvement" course as well??  ;D

Remember? "As you master your rifle, you master your self.....as you master your self, you master your life.....as you master your life, you master your destiny....."

Yeah, I get all "Grasshopper" sometimes...... 8) :))  @)

We hope to see you & your family again either @ West End Gun Club on Nov 14-15, or back at Raahaughes Dec 12-13......

If you want to get -really- "hard core" about it all, we will be having a week long Rifleman Boot Camp in Piru Nov 8th thru the 13th......way bunches of fun, and you will far more capable with your rifle after you do that one..... O0 <:) O0

Hope to see you guys again soon!!

Take care,
LLP

absolute_polyphony

I'll definitely have to look into the boot camp! I don't know if we'll be back in Oct but we'll see.

NoLimits

I am sorry to post to this so late.  I just found this forum. 

I attended this appleseed with my husband and my two boys.  We had a great time!  We received excellent instruction and help from all but especially Recruiter. 

Recruiter was a bit frustrated with me.  I just couldn't get my groupings tight even with a decent NPOA.  I finally had to come clean and tell her that due to Multiple Sclerosis, I was not able to see the squares line up with the sights.  She hustled off to borrow a rifle with a scope (thank you Laylo).  My squares were decent after that!

I never intended to qualify as a rifleman as I am not sure I am able to do that with my disease.  The standing part of the test is just not going to happen.  I went to support my husband and boys and to learn what I could.  What I DIDN'T expect was to fall in love with shooting and the idea of being a patriot through my skills.  I have since acquired my own rifle with a scope.  I have gone shooting and I have deligently practiced what I have learned.  I want very much to attend another appleseed and I am sure I will.  I am not sure I will ever earn a rifleman's patch but I am ok with that.  I really want to see what I CAN do; not what I can't do.  I have goals now.  I am proud of the squares I can shoot in the prone position. 

Recruiter is an amazing teacher.  She showed such patience and kindness.  She has lived up to her name.  She has recruited me as a life long patriot.  I love my rifle and I love what I have learned to do with it.  I have no lesions on my soul and so I will live with NO LIMITS.
I will live with no limits.

Colorado Pete

NoLimits, your post is an inspiration! Outstanding attitude, and welcome aboard! (And never say never about that patch...a Rifleman (achieved or aspiring) persists...)
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper