News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed in Carlsbad, NM December 2009

Started by nmmi9100, October 26, 2009, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

Folks:

There has been some discussion about having an Appleseed in Carlsbad later this year or early next year.  We don't have any Boots On The Ground in Carlsbad but being a former resident (as a child) I've agreed to head getting a shoot started down there.  Dates are fairly restricted since they have rimfire matches at the range every 2nd and 4th Saturday.

I think we should shoot for 5-6 December (1st choice) or 19-20 December (2nd choice) or 30-31 January (3rd choice).  Since the range is owned by the USA (BLM) and leased by the City of Carlsbad, all use of the range has to be approved by the City Council, which meets the second and fourth Tuesday of every month.  There is only ONE meeting between now and the first December date...the meeting is 10 November and to get an agenda item on, it has to be submitted by 4 November.  There is no cost to use the range and in addition to the 25-30 person capacity 100-yard range we will be on, there is a 200 yard range with steel targets and a 500 yard range with one steel target, in case any new Appleseeders want to test what they've learned and the KD range on Sunday afternoon.

My point is this...do we have folks willing to work the shoot if I can get one together for 5-6 December?  If we have to resort to one of the other two dates, is there a Shoot Boss willing to work it and other staff ready to support?  I'll be available for any of the above dates.

I have to know about this ASAP as I need to get the application ready this week and submit it to the City Manager's office by early next week if we want to proceed with the 5-6 December date.

Also, I have one contact (a pawn shop) who I believe will put out the word for us...other than that, I really don't have an idea how to advertise this thing since I'm 250 miles away.

All comment is welcome.

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

David,
Don't sweat it.
I'll shoot boss any date we can get.
Additional instructor staff is available between you, me, the 2 IIt's in Alamogordo and the 11 or so in El Paso we have it covered.
Just fill out the application and send it in.  Cross out or remove the portion about them providing target holders, I don't want to mess with anything they have, I have posts and wire.  Complete the static data portions of the application and just leave the signing portion for them to play with.

We will get the word out through the pawnshop, email and if necessary I'll go staple flyers on the lightposts.
What we need to proceed is permission to use the range.
If we can't get a firm commitment from them by 10 Nov then we need to immediatly move the daye to Jan as all promo time will be lost.

Sam

nmmi9100

Thanks, Sam.  I'm on it.

-David

nmmi9100

Request submitted to the City of Carslbad Parks & Recreation Director today, 28 Oct 2009.  Date priority requested as listed above, 5-6 Dec 2009 is primary date requested.  Single 120-foot covered-firing line 100-yard range bay requested.  We should have 25-30 shooter capacity on that range.

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

Good deal, now we just wait.

Sam

nmmi9100

Well, I sent off the full package requesting we get on the City Council agenda for the Carlsbad AS...5-6 December was already taken so I requested 19-20 December.  Parks & Recreation Director was near certain that weekend was free.  We'll know on 12 November if the date was approved by the Council.

Bad news is that my buddy with the pawn shop went out of business last Friday.  I called him up today to see if we could run some advertising through his business but he told me the slow economy and down oilfield put him out of business.  So, I have no real ideas for advertising short of taking a 250-mile trip down there and putting up fliers.  Obviously, I'll put out the word on the internet forums to which I belong but other than those two ideas, I don't know how to get the word out.

Any ideas?

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

I'll have to do some net sniffing and get back with you.

Sam

staplegund

Looks like this shoot is official now (see SavageShooters post today).  Do we need to pm Instructor Schedule and Nickle yet?
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

SamD

Yes you do.
I'll make and post a flyer tomorrow and then we need to get fax and email busy, every sporting goods store, Chamber of Commerce, Legion and VFW post, Lodge gunshop in SNM and West TX.
Likewise to make out obligatory invites to hizzoner and a couple of comissioners,  a press release to the local paper and radio stations.

Probably need to go tack flyers on light poles too.
Used my moderator super powers to change teh title. It ain't proposed no more! It's an Appleseed O0
Sam

staplegund

We had Lee Rawson over, measuring for a door today.  Told him I'd save a place for him and anyone he wanted to bring at the next local AS.  He asked for a reminder on the schedule, so I want to make sure to remember when the next LC AS gets on the schedule.  I also told him I'd work on his next campaign if I don't fall under the Hatch Act by then.
Regarding Carlsbad, I wonder if the Farm Bureau, Future Farmers, or a co-op might be another place to do PR.  Need to get those farmers online.  Might try the game warden too.  Just ideas... I'll do some Googling and see what I can do.
Scott
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

SamD

All of those organizations are good prospects to hit.
along with the NG armory, local PD, Wally World, every hunter safety instructor in town, you name it.

Sam

SamD

Attached is a simple 1 page flyer for the Carlsbad Shoot.
Please disseminate far and wide.
Thanks

Sam