News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Mexico is "On the Ball"

Started by SamD, November 08, 2009, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

New shoot location opened up this weekend in Socorro. Devenull, Simply Advantageous, freefyrefly and duc-dog will chime in about it in the AAR, they have the braggin rights on it.   

New location opening up at Del Norte Gun Club in Abq. on 5-6 Dec. and if the City Council is cooperative, Carlsbad the weekend after.

Shoot in Las Cruces next weekend with TaosGlock as SB. Please put the word out and get some attendance for that shoot. Flyers for download here   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5627.0

twh731 is relinquishing his seat as our SC.  Sad to see him back off but we do have lives to live outside Appleseed and if we don't take care of our homes and families we can't do a good job for Appleseed.  Give the program what you can but you do have to work, eat, go to school and care for your families. Balance.
He isn't dropping off the map just easing off a bit. He will still be with us at shoots and helping us operate.
Give him a big pat on the back for taking the SC job on and making it possible for us to have an organization in NM to begin with, we owe him a lot.

Keep in touch with your fellow instructors,and help them out with their studies and seventh stepping, get them to shoots and keep thier involvement up.

2010 is going to be a big growth year in NM.  We need to be expanding our operations to new locations and bringing new instructors into the program to help us spread the good word.
In the sights for 2010:
Carlsbad
Roswell
Hobbs
Artesia
Clovis
Farmington
Gallup
Silver City
Capitan
all these and continuing operations in Alamogordo, Abq, Raton, and Las Cruces, Socorro.

Additionally, we are working on a program to offer to our National Guard troops.  If you know one invite him or her to a shoot. every county in the state has a Guard unit assigned, lets give them a sporting chance.  Likewise our active duty troops at Holloman, Kirtland and Cannon and the ROTC programs at colleges throughout the state.

Other potential targets:
Las Vegas
Reserve
Los Alamos
Grants
Santa Rosa
Truth or Consequences
Ft Sumner
Lordsburg
Lovington
Carrizozo
Tucumcari
Portales
Estancia
Deming

Keep up the good work, keep doing your seven steps  O0

Sam

twh731

Thanks Sam!  We are going to really get the ball rolling in 2010!  Tom
Appleseed is history in the re-making!

Winter Tyrant

Once I attend a shoot I can help out at shoots around me which would be Las Vegas and Los Alamos and also if a shoot ever comes to Santa Fe :~

Floyd
Who is raised by the sword, Can't be beaten, Who is toughened by the fire, Can't be burned, Our everlasting loyalty will never break, The bold people of war
                                     Have raised their swords

nmmi9100

Quote from: Winter Tyrant on November 09, 2009, 01:29:30 PM
Once I attend a shoot I can help out at shoots around me which would be Las Vegas and Los Alamos and also if a shoot ever comes to Santa Fe :~

Floyd

Floyd:

Do you know of a shooting range in the Santa Fe area?  I used to live there and never did find a range...we just used to go up on Rowe Mesa and do all our shooting.  I'm in southern Santa Fe County now and the only two ranges nearby are the NM Bighorn Gun Club (of which i'm a member) and the Founder's Ranch (SASS).

If you know of any formal ranges around Santa Fe, let us know.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Winter Tyrant

No, we have Tina's Range gear that's indoors but I believe its only a pistol range and not many can fit in it. There is a semi-dedicated range kinda in up by the Camel Tracks but there is no shaded areas or anything nice about it, its basically there for idiots who like to take stuff there like t.v's, safes, fire extinguishers etc.. and shoot them, there was a range clean up day there but its all gone to hell since then. So to answer your question there isn't really a formal range. I sure wish there was, I would help maintain it if we could get a nice one. I've been told of a nice one at the end of Airport Rd. that the P.D. trains at but have yet to find it.

Its really too bad because I think if people noticed that we had a nice one that offers cover, benches, restrooms and clean shooting areas there would me more safe shooting and responsible shooting going on in the Santa Fe area. A range that we could be proud of. But until the City and State get their heads out we won't ever get one. :-[

Floyd
Who is raised by the sword, Can't be beaten, Who is toughened by the fire, Can't be burned, Our everlasting loyalty will never break, The bold people of war
                                     Have raised their swords

Devnull

How about BLM land with some kind of natural berm like a mountain or a big hill?
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Winter Tyrant

Oh definitely, I go to an area just like this, hardly any people, a small dirt road to get there and plenty of mountain to shoot against, plus the potential to shoot a couple hundred yards, lots of wide opens spaces and room for 100+ shooters. I will try and find the area on Google earth and post the link and coordinates.

Update: I cannot seem to find directions or access it from Google Earth because of our computers at work, but Google maps states that it is Santa Fe National Forest area.

Floyd
                                     Have raised their swords

SamD

I hear the PD range is closed rigtht now.
They can't seem to keep rounds on the berm.

Sam

Winter Tyrant

If we could use it and they let me fix what needs to be fixed I would, I have a backhoe, kubota and a shovel at my disposal :~

Floyd
                                     Have raised their swords