News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to the board and looking forward to a shoot!

Started by Winter Tyrant, November 06, 2009, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter Tyrant

Hey guys,

I just recently learned about the Appleseed project from a members signature on ARFCOM that frequents the 50 cal sub-forum, he is on this board and is from Edgewood I believe. Anyways, I am looking forward to attending a shoot soon. I know that there is one this weekend in Socorro and the next in Cruces but my wife wants to attend with me and send rounds downrange and she will not be able to attend next weeks shoot. Also we just bought me a .22 and I still need to do the recommended mods to it. So the next shoot after the Cruces shoot I am going to attend.  I need to start prepping everything so that way I am ready for anything coming up.

Looking forward to the shoot and chimed in to say hi, I will be posting on this board and lurking as well.

Thanks,
Floyd
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Who is raised by the sword, Can't be beaten, Who is toughened by the fire, Can't be burned, Our everlasting loyalty will never break, The bold people of war
                                     Have raised their swords

Winter Tyrant

Sorry about the double post, please delete the first one.

Thank you,
Floyd
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Who is raised by the sword, Can't be beaten, Who is toughened by the fire, Can't be burned, Our everlasting loyalty will never break, The bold people of war
                                     Have raised their swords

Devnull

Hello there Floyd and welcome to Appleseed!

The next shoot after Las Cruses is going to be at the Del Norte gun club on Dec 5-6th. Were putting (Well, twh731 is) the final touches on the shoot and should hopefully have it up in the next week.

Remember, any rack grade rifle is all you need. A 10/22 or other .22 out of the box is usually good enough to do an appleseed with. Focus more on Software (The shooter) and less on the hardware. Of course some mods just make life grand like better sights and bolt hold open mods, but they are by no means necessary. Shoot what you brought is what we preach here.  O0

BTW, here is a link on what to bring to an AS. YMMV of course but it's a good list none the less.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8162.0

"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Winter Tyrant

Great thanks Devnull, I am just going to install some Tech-Sights and the G.I. sling. I want to also install the bolt hold mods possibly. But I will definately  be there at the next shoot. I am going to start getting things ready soon.

Thanks,
Floyd
Santa Fe, NM 87501
                                     Have raised their swords

Fred

Get to the first one, the next one, the one coming up.

Don't sweat the equipment issue, just go.

Then you'll be able to offer good advice to the Better Half, so she'll be better prepared, as well as be pretty well-prepared, yourself, for your second Appleseed.

Just a suggestion...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Winter Tyrant

Great suggestion, because I was not planning on only attending one! I would like to get to the point that I can travel and help out at matches.

Thanks,
Floyd
                                     Have raised their swords

Devnull

Well come on down this weekend if you can. I have a tack driver marlin .22 you can drive or you can wring out that new rifle!  ;)

Were always looking for a few good men and women to step up and help. We definitely need all of the help we can get. But first we need to make you into a rifleman.

Feel free to poke around the forums. There is a lot of good info here but truthfully it pales in comparison to getting down in the dirt and building muscle memory. Also think about getting a copy of the "Guide to Becoming a Rifleman" from fredsm14stocks.com.

I think I know who the 50cal guy your talking about is. Great guy.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Winter Tyrant

Damn, if I hadn't blown this last check on a wedding and gun I would go down, I still need to get many of the supplies needed to attend I.E. shooting glasses, better ear protection, shooting mat, gloves, sights, sling, food(gonna be MRE's :~), lodging etc...

Thanks,
Floyd
                                     Have raised their swords

nmmi9100

Floyd:

I'm the guy from Edgewood...come on down to Socorro if you can.  I've got you on supplies...I've got a couple spare slings, 2000 rounds of 22 LR i'm brining along, three extra shooting mats, 4 pairs of safety glasses, 2 extra sets of electronic headphones, etc, etc, etc.

I've also got three complete spare guns that are coming...A match 10/22 with Tech Sights, a standard 10/22 with a 4x Leupold, and a Marlin 795 with Tech sights....your choice to borrow if you come down to Socorro.  If you can't make it both days, come down Sunday.

Appleseed is definitely not an equipment race.

So if you get this in time, come on down.  Haven't checked the forum enough today or I would have picked up your post earlier.  Glad to have you aboard on the Appleseed Forum.

-David
Edgewood, NM

TaosGlock

Floyd,
If you make it down to Las Cruces we also have you covered on any gear you may need! O0 :~ ^-^
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Wade

Hey All

Gear does not need to be expensive example what I carry in my truck when I am on the road  shooters mat used carpet, Rifle M-1 Garand,  shooters glove old leather work glove, ammo mil surpluse , sling usgi web,Shooters jacket from freds, other Rifle 10/22  with better sights then stock and a usgi web sling ,Glove same used work glove, ammo for it normaly fedral bulk pack or blazer (when I can find it)  honestly I shoot the .22 more then the Garand.

Go have fun don't get wraped around the axle on the gear

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

twh731

Hey all, remember that the Appleseed Project is not just about the Rifleman patch and learning how to shoot to rifleman standards but also to learn about the history of our founder's dreams about self governing and fair representation.  We all want to achieve perfection in shooting and that is important.  One of the most important aspects of our efforts is to teach people about the incredible efforts expended by the regular citizens of that era.  These people were regular guys and gals who produced extraordinary feats at a time when this could have sent them to the hangmans gallows or at the very least sent them to England to rot in a cold damp prison.  They were considered enemies of the crown and subject to all the horrors thereof if caught.  They would have lost all of their property and condemned their family to an existence of meager proportions or left them to starve to death.  These people showed a strength of character, morals and ideals not often seen in these times.  This is the essence of Appleseed.  So gather whatever firestick you have and get to the closest or soonest Appleseed event that you can get too and relive that most important time in our country with fellow citizens of like mind.  You will make fast friends and learn important history and learn rifleman techniques that will change your life.  It will change your life!  It will increase your confidence in our ability to bail the stagnant water out of our sinking ship and improve your outlook at life in general.  This is the most important thing to bring away from an Appleseed event!   Tom
Appleseed is history in the re-making!

Winter Tyrant

Sweet thanks for all the replies guys.  I would have replied sooner but the only accessible internet I have is at my work, I do have a Blackberry but I cant get to the forum on it.  I wanted to go to the Socorro and Cruces shoot but time, money and schedules got in the way, my wife will have to attend a mandatory meeting at 4 p.m. on Sunday for the Cruces shoot which is another reason why I cannot go. She really wants to do the shoot and we are going to borrow a friends rifle for her. I will DEFINITELY be at the next shoot though and I look forward to meeting you all(or those who attend) and shooting at a lot of Appleseed's in the future!

NMMI9100, I thank you for posting about the program in your sig. Also I plan on getting a 50. Cal in the future so maybe we can fling huge chunks o' lead downrange  :~ compared to the tiny pieces that we all shoot out of our .22's. The 50. Cal I am looking at is the State Arms Rebel btw. Also, you wouldn't happen to know Bill Black do you? He shoots 50. cal and is always at Whittington.

Again, thank you all for the support, I am very excited about the shoot and so is my wife!  O0

Thanks,
Floyd
                                     Have raised their swords