News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

#4--How can we women reach more Jr/Sr high youth (or younger) ?

Started by vic303, November 01, 2009, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic303

Folks, I was asked to split out the 4 main questions I had originally posed into separate questions, so to better organize everyone's thoughts on a particular topic. Please post your replies to question #1 below.
Ladies, the title says it all--what CAN we do to improve participation in Project Appleseed?  I know we have some women IITs/Instructors etc, a fair number of AS attendees are women, Riflewoman does a TON of stuff, but what can you & I do?

4.  How can we reach the Jr High/ High School crowd?

What suggestions do y'all have?  What ideas of your own are you willing to share here?

--Vicky

vic303

What about a presentation to Boy Scout groups, and Girl Scouts?  What about to 4H?

ksuguy

One potential issue with getting the scouts out there is the BSA policy about firearms.  They require NRA certified instructors.  Some of our instructors do meet that qualification, but not all of them.    Also, they only like the kids to single load their rounds.  That makes it difficult for them to participate in everything without breaking the official BSA rules. 

I'm not sure how things are handled with the girl scouts or 4H.   

Other groups that might work are the FFA, or maybe the junior ROTC groups and civil air patrol. 

vic303

I was thinking more of a talk presented to a BSA/GSA meeting or at a 4H club meeting.  Get the kids interested in the program--maybe have a slide show...targets, the stock/sling set up to demonstrate proper positions etc.  I wouldn't give them the 3 STrikes, but you could tease them with some of the history.

This approach would take less time for folks to do (a couple hours in an evening), would neatly get around the firearms restrictions/aspects of the BSA, and get our info out to the future shooters.  Then if they want, they can attend the AS of their choice, not as a BSA event, but just as an Appleseeder.

samjt15

Well i'm new to AS but with anything in order to get people involved you seem to have to go through other people.  I think a huge help is to first get their parents involved. That is a major thing since they will be more then likely bring and picking up their kids also. My school, Idk about others and how they do it but hosted and had the kids of my towns gun safety class when I was 12 if we can give the community programs like that papers and information about it, I'm sure that more kids will start attending.  Most people who take their gun safety have an interest in things like this and they can talk their parents into it. Also at shooting ranges, I had a bunch of friends who always went with their parents to the gun ranges if info is posted their then people are more likely to come also.  Hope these help.

Jules

As a former Girl Scout leader, I would say approaching those kinds of groups is a good idea. This also depends on the state and area in which you live. The town we just moved from, an AS presentation would go over like a fart in church. You have to know your demographics. Where we live now, there is a large 4-H population. Posting flyers and talking to these groups results in positive feedback. It's amazing what moving 60 miles north will do..........

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

TrebleShooter

Also (depending on the area, of course) check into who teaches youth hunter safety courses. Whether they're youth oriented or not, you'll get someone's attention.   :)

willorith

An Appleseed presentation need not even mention firelocks, except in the historical perspective of their use in securing and preserving the precious gift of freedom left to us by those rebellious provincials of Massachusetts. Even the most adamant of the antigun crowd will feel a shiver of pride when they hear of Isaac Davis and the Acton Militia. "I have not a man afraid to go" a few minutes after he made that bold statement, Captain Davis made a down payment on our freedom with a spray of crimson from his breast.

A good presentation would get the kids looking forward to the next meeting, and the next installment. It would get them seeking out more Appleseed contact.

Our work with the U.S. Military goes a very long way toward establishing our credentials as a mainstream organization.
We are but human.

Jules

I went to a Membership meeting of our Range a few weeks ago. There was a man who was asking about having the use of our Trap and Skeet equipment. Apparently ( and again, I am in Central Cal) there is a big following of Jr/Sr High Schoolers involved in the Trap/Skeet movement lately.

Two weeks later I had a young lady on our line in Sac. She was a trap shooter. This gal could be on one of the trifolds. She had awsome form, and an awsome attitude. She came to the Seed to get her own style of shooting. She was frustrated at the several different Trap insturctors were all telling her different ways to shoot. They were all telling her "their" paticular way to shoot. She came to fine her own way, which I told her was awsome.

I was not aware that this is a group that is interested. You may check it out in your area.

love Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt