News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento Mini 11-15-09

Started by BaldDragn, November 16, 2009, 01:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

I just had to post this pic.

James E. provided himself as a great subject and we lucked into this one.

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

DesertDog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

NorCal22Gal

Awesome day......Thanks to all.

NorCal22Gal

James E

Great Mini-AS!  T-shirt weather in mid-November.

Ruth (Mrs. James E) receives some excellent instruction:

An attentive group of shooters listen to Nukechaser discuss IMC:

Jules wrangles an M1 Carbine.  A return favor to BD for getting a shot of me with the M1 clip and brass, I caught Jules with brass in the air:

BaldDragn

I had thought we would have a low pressure day of shooting, instruction, and camaraderie with the red hats shooting and occasionally displaying SHF problems for the IITs to find and give a chance for everybody to step up and tackle their personal challenges in a less stressful environment. We were just going to do a little training.

The best laid plans...

I had handed the SB duties over to Eaglescouter and he stepped right into a mock 9am briefing, hit the hi points, 4 safety rules and all, we planned to skip first redcoats and move onto the Saturday morning instruction drills. Then plans changed.

Nukechaser came in with friends in tow, inexperienced shooters new to Appleseed. This was not part of the original plan, but then isn't that part of training?

Eaglescouter as SB used our resources wisely, adapted the plan, and had the more experienced instructors give the new shooters our full attention to bring them up speed double-time, while the rest IITs continued to train.

After lunch Eaglescouter led us into a "train, shoot, history" rhythm that worked well to keep everything fresh in the middle of an AQT grind.

Since we were still in training mode and throwing challenges at our IITs, there were "out of character" moments where we would stop, explain to the new shooters that instructor training was about to happen, then step back into the rhythm of the day.

We had lots of family members on the line we adopted a strict policy of "no family training". I did not try to give instruction to Jules, Eaglescouter just seems to naturally avoid this issue with NorCal22Gal, James was placed at the far end of the line from his lovely wife Ruth and Nukechaser could train anybody we was not directly related to. I find this is a great help to the person being trained because it removes much of the sting that can go along with instruction from a loved one.

The policy paid off well! I got to see Jules tackle the centerfire rifles, thanks her dogged determination to "fear no rifle", and Eaglescouters simplicity and precision in teaching new platforms. While she was racking the bolt on an A303 and getting to see how the steady hold factors really do work when getting pounded by recoil, I heard a loud "WHOOO HOOO" come from her end of the line.

Thanks to Eaglescouter and Norcal22gal for driving so far to be here. The same for James E and his wife Ruth we really enjoyed the time we spent with them. To Nukechaser for mixing it up for us and keeping the training lively. A special thanks to JC who keeps coming back to events all over NorCal, always a pleasure to see you. And a special thanks to M106shooter for coming up with the idea to get together this weekend and to his significant other, Christina, for joining us.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

NorCal22Gal

It was truly a ton of fun. 

What was great abt Jules shooting Eaglescouter's 1903A3 (aside from the kid in the candy shop grin and the woohoo's and the "this is fun" coming from her) was being able to use her as an excellent example of what the steady hold factors do. 

The family that Nukechaser brought out was watching Jules shoot (a bit of envy on the boys part I think), and I was able to point out that even though she is shooting a high power rifle, because of her good position and the steady hold factors the recoil pushed her back and she just came back in to place.  Wish we would have thought to video tape her. It was the perfect example of what steady hold and good position does for you. 

Awesome job Jules. Thanks for being such a good example.

NorCal22Gal

Jules

This is the first Mini I had the pleasure of participating in. It was my request to do some observation of different training techniques I wanted more education on as an ITT1 before heading to Lemoore this weekend. I learned much! I was beside Nor Cal 22Gal as she helped Ruth (Mrs James E ) with the ability to see through her scope. Now this was something I had not had a problem with, and it was knowledge I needed in order to help someone having that issue. Ruth was assisted with calm and encouragement from Nor Cal 22 Gal, along with EagleScouter, and the problem was resolved. I oberved the transitions into our History, as I prepare my portion of the weekend in the coming days. I had told NorCal22Gal & EagleScouter that I was concerned with my ability to help others with the different types of rifles on the line. So, in typical EagleScouter style, he told me he would bring some to show me, ONLY if I agreed to shoot them. I had no idea what he was bringing, and readily agreed. We had lots of folks show up for the Mini, and some onlookers from our range who had attended one or two Appleseeds. The day was perfect for shooting, and everyone was in "teachable" mode. Come lunchtime, I was feeling kind of sore, so I went back to the Dragon's Lair, took some Advil, and used the heating pad for an hour. I went back to the range in time to watch NorCal22 Gal present Dangerous Dames, which I will be doing in Lemoore. Excellent presentation on NorCal22Gal's part. At this point EagleScouter asked me " Which rifle would you like to shoot first?" I peered at the line of artillery on the pad. Hmmmm. I pointed at one, the M1 Carbine. I was shown how to use a "stripper clip", and told the rifle had a "weird" side sling. I thought the clip was awsome, and the sling worked really well with my body geometry. After putting my rounds downrange, I had to choose another. Good gravy, I was then on the mat with a Springfield A303, with rounds that looked like bazookas compared to my usual .22's I fired. I gave it the first shot. This puppy had a kick to it. I was grateful for my shooting jacket, thought no more, got in position. It was time to "rock and roll". I was told I was "whoohoo-ing" through my COF. I got up smiling and told EagleScouter, "this is fun!" I finished my education with a Mossberg M44 training rifle, that was as long as I was tall. I had to look as I pulled the bolt back to eject the casing to make sure it had fired. It had absolutely no recoil at all. I used that to fire the closing day's Redcoats. My thanks to all who came to the Mini. Green hats, Red hats, Orange hats, 7th steppers....... and all the participants. Not only did I get to instruct, I got to have some fun in the name of "education". The more I show up, the more I learn. The more I show up, the more friends I make. And the more we show up together, the more impact we have on those around us. Oh, the stories I will tell this week as I make my rounds to do errands near and far, always with a stack of Appleseed flyers nearby.  Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Antibubba

It's been a valuable experience watching Jules come into her own since January (has it really been less than a year??).  With her prone position mastered the Springfield was as easy for her to handle as the 10/22, and it was an excellent example to all how the training on a rimfire translates to ANY rifle.

Observing some of our new shooters I know we'll have new riflemen at the next Appleseed.  Wow.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

eaglescouter

This mini was an excellent opportunity to practice our jobs as Appleseed volunteers at all levels.  I need to thank the patient orange/red/green hats for their support, these events cannot succeed without you and your dedicated efforts.

The best rewards are the shrinking group sizes and the hearty thank you's at the end of the day.  They provide the motivation to carry me into the next event.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)