Project Appleseed

After Action Reports! => Buckman Tavern => Topic started by: icecoldkidd on September 30, 2026, 01:59:43 PM

Title: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: icecoldkidd on September 30, 2026, 01:59:43 PM
Besides a Ruger 10/22, could I get recommendations for an inexpensive beginner/starting .22lr rifle that will properly perform at Appleseed event?

Potentially, a Savage or Rossi, unless there is another that performs well. 
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: NJrefugee on September 30, 2026, 02:19:24 PM
Any magazine fed semi-auto that will take tech sights or a scope and a GI sling will be fine. Ruger 10/22 is the standard. I also really like the Tippmann AR style 22lr rifle, which is avail in a variety of configurations.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Rattlehead on September 30, 2026, 02:20:41 PM
If cost is a concern, don't sleep on the Rossi R22.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: LDB415 on September 30, 2026, 04:07:33 PM
I'm only familiar with 10/22's and Tippmann M4-22's. Both are truly excellent. I bet there are some Savage and Rossi options that may do well. Magazine availability and capacity would be something to check. GLWYSearch
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: DEH on September 30, 2026, 04:10:55 PM
I have seen a lot of .22 rifles come across the lines.  The only one that I would currently recommend is the 10/22.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Gus on September 30, 2026, 05:06:42 PM
Yep, the 10/22 is by far the most popular platform at 25 meter and Rimfire KD events. But, to be different....

....If buying a used rifle is an option, you could look into a Marlin 795. Gunbroker is a possible source. The only issue with the rifle is magazine availability. Make sure any used 795 you may consider comes with at least two magazines.

The rifle itself is inexpensive and a solid semi-auto performer. Tech sights or a scope are super simple to install.

My two cents.

Gus
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Mrs. Smith on September 30, 2026, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Gus on September 30, 2026, 05:06:42 PMYep, the 10/22 is by far the most popular platform at 25 meter and Rimfire KD events. But, to be different....

....If buying a used rifle is an option, you could look into a Marlin 795. Gunbroker is a possible source. The only issue with the rifle is magazine availability. Make sure any used 795 you may consider comes with at least two magazines.

The rifle itself is inexpensive and a solid semi-auto performer. Tech sights or a scope are super simple to install.

My two cents.

Gus

The 795 is a solid performer. I have two in my loaner fleet

;D Fleet  **)
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Rattlehead on September 30, 2026, 06:47:55 PM
795 is awesome and if still in production would be my go-to after the 10/22. It's a minor tragedy they're no longer made.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Mike AKA Bandaid on October 01, 2026, 12:58:52 PM
If you can wait just a month or so, the Ruger 10/22 goes on sale before the holidays for less than $200. Hard to justify another brand when they will be about the same price.

Not only is the 10/22 reliable, there are more aftermarket options and accessories available than almost any other firearm. They are easy to work on, and quick to fix if you were to break something. I mean, they are so simple, if you had a bastard file, hack saw, and some scrap spring steel, you can actually MAKE a lot of the parts that make up the trigger group. I don't recommend it, but in an EOTW/SHTF situation, it's nice to have that kind of simplicity.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: Zorak on October 01, 2026, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: icecoldkidd on September 30, 2026, 01:59:43 PMBesides a Ruger 10/22, could I get recommendations for an inexpensive beginner/starting .22lr rifle that will properly perform at Appleseed event?

Potentially, a Savage or Rossi, unless there is another that performs well. 

Bandaid's post raises a question in my mind - why don't you want a 10/22? Knowing why you want to avoid that model might help us give better advice.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: icecoldkidd on October 01, 2026, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: Zorak on Yesterday at 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: icecoldkidd on September 30, 2026, 01:59:43 PMBesides a Ruger 10/22, could I get recommendations for an inexpensive beginner/starting .22lr rifle that will properly perform at Appleseed event?

Potentially, a Savage or Rossi, unless there is another that performs well. 

Bandaid's post raises a question in my mind - why don't you want a 10/22? Knowing why you want to avoid that model might help us give better advice.

Unfortunately, I believe that you made improper assumptions about me.

Bandaid's advice is for better or worse nearly spot on and potentially a little late.

I appreciate the advice from Rattlehead and Gus as it was kind of what I was looking for.

This thread can be closed.
Title: Re: First rifle purchase for Appleseed
Post by: mrsurplus on October 01, 2026, 05:56:07 PM
If you can find one, I like the Remington 597 especially the bull barrel models. There can be issues with loading the mags to 10 rounds, but the gun itself shoots well.