While we contemplated building an ark so that we would survive the weekend, the torrential rains and thunderstorms finally subsided by Sunday afternoon. Nonetheless, 9 intrepid Patriots came to Dorr MI and the South Kent Sportsman Club to learn the Rifleman's Quarter Mile and refresh their connection with their heritage.
We started the day in the classroom, reviewing some fundamentals and the math that we'd need to math our way through the weekend. Armed with visions of MOA and millirads dancing in our heads, we headed to the range. Saturday was spent getting rock solid info on our rifles from 100 to 400 yards. A great mix of both new and repeat KD shooters compared notes, helped each other with math and technical issues that invariably appear in a high round count course. It was wet and soggy but we still saw 2 of our repeat KD riflemen prove they've retained their knowledge. Congrats Matt and Erik. We also had 7 (!!!) Morgan's Men...including a gold star winner who shot it standing (woo-hoo Erik!)
Sunday started just as wet but with less lightning meant we got to shooting earlier. Our zeroes from Saturday were reestablished and came in useful through the day, with also included a fun field ranging exercise where 2 teams tied for most accurate. Congrats to both teams...but let's hear it for 2 new KD rifleman Matt D (who also earned his first Rifleman patch) and Bruno.
A great weekend was topped off by Erik accepting his orange hat...FINALLY! Thanks to SKSC and my great cadre, including wingwrench, Geek, Fidget and JHB.
Till next year!
Project Appleseed events help to remind me that there ARE people left in the Country much like I remember from when I was younger... Good people. Thank you for letting me be a part!!
Yes, a real learning experience in a number of of different ways.... And a bunch of fun to boot!!
There was a special thanks I heard was given to you in your excellent instruction when it came to standing positioning that assisted Bruno in ringing 10-10.
Somewhere down the line, I will humble myself and ask for the same instruction.
Despite the weather I had two good days with great instruction and time spent with like minded people.
I set a couple of personal bests ( our ranging team tied for first and I had nine hits on stage 3).
Eventually I might be able to put all my best stages onto a single AQT for that KD tab.
We did have a wet weekend, but the instruction and comradary of an Appleseed event outweighs any inconvenience! It was great to see old friends and compete against ourselves, the elements and each other in order to become better marksmen/markswomen. The cold bore Morgan's shingle on day 2 (7 hits) attested to the good data we received on Saturday! Of course Eric's hit in standing was terrific :bow: ! Thanks for always pushing us to do our personal best; I am amazed that even as I approach 50 years old, I am able to post personal best scores. Appleseed certainly inspires confidence, even if it cannot take away the achiness of old bones!
Looking forward to more memories and fun shooting in the future.
Scotch out!