News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Grand Junction CO. April 28-30 AG&AG Conference

Started by Ghostring, May 08, 2023, 03:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

IMGUR Pics: https://imgur.com/a/eRfbced

Nestled in the mountains of Colorado, near the town of Grand Junction, lies the Cameo Shooting and Education Complex - a world-class shooting range run by Colorado Parks and Wildlife.  There, on this last weekend in April, close to 1,000 extremely motivated and exceptionally talented ladies of the A Girl & A Gun Women's Shooting League held their 11th annual National Conference.  What an amazing event!!!

Project Appleseed was there with a van-load of rifles, plenty of targets, three Senior instructors (JustKim, Mrs. Smith and Steck) and yours truly to staff six events in three days - Four "Half-Day" Appleseeds, and two events for prior Appleseeders to work on Rifleman. To say that we were busy would be an understatement - but the camaraderie, fun, and infectious enthusiasm of the attendees more than made up for the long hours at the range!

As a reminder, a Half-Day Appleseed concentrates on prone position shooting, and we shoot the hits count (aka Redcoat) target for score - five rounds per silhouette (score per shot is 1 point per 100yds - so a hit on the 100 yard silhouette is 1 point, on the 400 yard silhouette is 4 points) for a possible total of 50 points. The shingle is a bonus shot worth 5 points by itself.

Every day started with an historical speech on what makes our Nation so amazing - inspirational quotes by George Washington, Adams and Jefferson really roused the group, and got our shoots started the right way! We presented Safety rules, Safe Rifle, Ammo Malfunctions and then got down to the business of the day.

Our first class on Friday morning was truly exceptional, particularly considering that most of the shooters were beginner rifle shooters!
On Friday morning, for the first time I can remember, we had a shooter score 55 points on the target - That's a perfect score of 5 hits per silhouette and one on the shingle! (Great Shooting Janice! - a remarkable job!) When asked, she admitted that she'd taken some other rifle classes, but really dug the Natural Point of Aim (NPOA) - It really works! We had several other shooters in that first class score over 40 points, which is worth an Appleseed Pin! And a number of ladies score in the 30s as well - Great shooting for sure!

Our second class on Friday had a 50-point shooter (Great Shooting Alexandra!), as well as a brace of 40+ shooters! Several ladies shot excellent scores that day, and earned their pin. Saturday's Half-Day class had a 52-point shooter (Great Shooting Diana!) and 4 more shooters over 40 points!
Sunday's Half-Day class high-score was 48 points (Great Shooting Carol!) and another 4 shooters earned pins.

Our two "Advanced" Classes each started (after Safety!) with the April 19th Memorial Volley - a solemn affair. Presentation of patches and the "Bloody Butchery" broadsheet followed, and then a picture under the Betsy Ross flag.  After that we reviewed the positions and ran an AQT per class! No Riflemen patches this time, but our high-score was a 187 - an Excellent score, and well on the way to 210!

There is no doubt that the spirit of America lives on in the hearts and minds of our A Girl & A Gun attendees!!!

Of course, none of this would be possible without the tireless help of our BOTG: Alarm Lister and MyNameIsEarl - You guys did so much to get our bay ready and helped organize everything on the ground for us! Thanks so much!!!

A VERY SPECIAL shout-out to the fine folks at Waco Tactical Fitness, who donated Ammo and provided the DOZEN loaner rifles for the event! HUZZAH!!!

I'm sure I'm missing some folks - Anyway, thanks again to AG&AG and the Cameo Shooting Range  (And Robyn S., who is, simply, awesome!  O0 )

I know I speak for our whole cadre when I say that we were super happy to staff the Conference in 2023, and are looking forward to being there in 2024 - See you then!

Jim (Ghostring)

:F
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Mrs. Smith

I have a BUNCH of pictures! Just need to get them uploaded. Stay tuned!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Here you go!

Included are the pics for the drive up and back, just because  :)

https://imgur.com/a/n9Usl07

Thanks to the Otero County, NM Chapter of AGAG for giving Ghostring and I an alternate route back that didn't involve white knuckles and didn't really take extra time.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Roswell

Looks like a great event! I'm glad we could partner with them. Good job everyone!  O0
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

901Gun

It was great to have Appleseed represented at the A Girl & A Gun conference. How about that range?!

Google

Way to go crew!  Looks like a great time was had by all!  O0

Eagle Keeper

Sweet game with the Red Coats (totally steeling it! ) . Awesome job!  O0 :beer: O0
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Eagle Keeper on May 11, 2023, 12:34:21 PM
Sweet game with the Red Coats (totally steeling it! ) . Awesome job!  O0 :beer: O0

No need to steal, Eagle Keeper! It's part of the standard Half-day Course of fire  ;)

We had a wonderful time!

I have to admit one of the coolest things about that range is the sound of gunfire from all over the facility that bounced off that mountain all day long. It reminded me of the sound of small jets in the distance, in waves. Pretty awesome.

JustKim

This was a fantastic event!!  We had the opportunity to work with approximately 80 amazing women in just three days.  Each lady walked away with a new appreciation of our heritage, history and the Project Appleseed mission.  Ghostring made sure to send each of them on their way having heard the "What is the American Revolution" speech.  These half-day events, although they didn't include tons of rifle marksmanship instruction (prone only in most of them), included awesome history, renewed pride in our country, and the desire to return to a full two-day clinic.  It was very rewarding to work with such an incredible crew and spread our message to so many women in such a short period of time.  AND -- we are invited back for next year!!   ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Alarm Lister

This was a fantastic event and every AG&AG lady that I talked to loved what was presented and the enthusiasm with which it was done.  Great big kudo's to all of you.
Also it was great to finally meet Ghostring, Mrs. Smith & Steck in person.  It was also great to see JustKim (Hugs) from our great state, here in Florida.

That was my wife's 11th AG&AG conference and my 10th of helping setting up ranges and supporting our wonderful ladies.
Now that AS will be back next year, make sure you let myself and MyNameIsEarl know what you will need as we will again be heading up the comm's and part of the Range Logistics team.  We will make sure you are all covered.

GREAT JOB!!!!!
Always remember, keep your C7H4O+KNO3+S dry and your precious metals (Steel, Brass & Lead) handy!
   <--  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛÎ'Î'Ε  -->
This republic was not established by cowards, and cowards will not preserve it.

CokeGuy

Makes my heart flutter to see that all that work we did in marketing, including developing the half day course of fire, is being put to great use in spreading the "virus" of Project Appleseed! Great job all!